• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clemson @ WFU - Saturday 9/24 - 12 Noon ABC

Clemson remains a major hurdle. Despite all the gains made under Clawson we have yet to play even a semi-competitive game against them. If it doesn’t happen this year then I’m not sure when it will happen.

Because our offensive play style plays right into the strength of their recruiting, and the lack of offensive possession time leaves our defense exhausted. I’ll say it a million times, the slow mesh was not designed to beat a team like Clemson that can overwhelm your o-line with athleticism.

Because our offensive play style plays right into the strength of their recruiting, and the lack of offensive possession time leaves our defense exhausted. I’ll say it a million times, the slow mesh was not designed to beat a team like Clemson that can overwhelm your o-line with athleticism.
Sure but our offense runs plenty of plays that aren’t mesh. Those need to be the highlight this weekend.

Despite some obvious issues (two lost fumbles, lots of false start penalties, terribly confused offensive line in Q1, consistently poor field position), our offense did well against Clemson last year. (We ended up with the most points and 2nd most yards against them than anyone else). Our defense is what really got embarrassed.

Duke destroyed Kansas at home last year, the same Duke team we beat like a rug. Will be interesting to see the outcome at Kansas this year. Duke is rolling with a very efficient first year QB.

My fear of Clemson is they're so huge and deep, they could beat us by 30-40 by not throwing one pass and just running their giant QB and horses in the RB stable. I've noticed most games this year, even if the D was good enough to make contact at the line, Clemson got 3-5 yards by just falling forward. Could sure use a Vilian, Ejiofor, or Basham this year.

Key to beating Clemson is to shorten the game with extended possessions, which requires a steady and consistent positive yardage running game - basically the opposite of our offense. The problem with our offense is that it’s often feast or famine. We too often get nothing on 1st and 2nd down and need Sam to bail us out with tough passes to advance the ball on 3rd and long, and Clemson just doesn’t allow those long plays frequently. So we get a 50 second possession, punt, and then Clemson takes 4 minutes to go 60 yards and score.

Despite some obvious issues (two lost fumbles, lots of false start penalties, terribly confused offensive line in Q1, consistently poor field position), our offense did well against Clemson last year. (We ended up with the most points and 2nd most yards against them than anyone else). Our defense is what really got embarrassed.
Regarding fumbling twice on our own 20: Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

Which is to say that it is wholly unrealistic to start the game with 4 empty, short possessions, and then start the second half by giving the other team the ball on your own 20 yard line, not once, but twice, within the first three possessions of the 3rd quarter, and to then expect your defense to stand on its head to keep you in the game. Won’t happen.

Unless maybe, of course, your defense is of the Alabama-Georgia-Clemson caliber, but we cannot pretend that is the case.

Duke destroyed Kansas at home last year, the same Duke team we beat like a rug. Will be interesting to see the outcome at Kansas this year. Duke is rolling with a very efficient first year QB.

My fear of Clemson is they're so huge and deep, they could beat us by 30-40 by not throwing one pass and just running their giant QB and horses in the RB stable. I've noticed most games this year, even if the D was good enough to make contact at the line, Clemson got 3-5 yards by just falling forward. Could sure use a Vilian, Ejiofor, or Basham this year.

They've played Temple, NW, and AT. Liberty would beat each of them by 30

My fear of Clemson is they're so huge and deep, they could beat us by 30-40 by not throwing one pass and just running their giant QB and horses in the RB stable.
So much LOWF in posts such as this. They just failed to beat Louisiana Tech at home by that much and struggled for three quarters to pull away from mighty Georgia Tech. They aren't a goddamn NFL team

call me a schmuck or whatever, i think wake gets it done saturday. and i'll be there to cheer them on. sue me for being optimistic. i'm a realist and usually get called a pessimist for being such. however, i see no reason wake can't win.

call me a schmuck or whatever, i think wake gets it done saturday. and i'll be there to cheer them on. sue me for being optimistic. i'm a realist and usually get called a pessimist for being such. however, i see no reason wake can't win.
This is where I am. There’s no reason we can’t win this game and Clemson looks vulnerable on both sides of the ball, IMHO.

I don't recall a more program-changing game in my lifetime as a Wake sports fan. Sure, there have been many big games. I don't recall one that has the potential to move us to a different orbit, conversation, media-hype and recruiting.

Perhaps the Duncan run to the Final 8 or the Depaul win in '83. I guess those would be close. Certainly the Orange Bowl would be very close. But this game could be a "game changer".

Last edited:
The only hope I see for the Deacs is to score early and often. Run every play in the playbook if needed and hold nothing in reserve.

No doubt. We need to get ahead early and force DJ to do something stupid

Clemson was only up 13-6 at halftime, at home, against powerhouse Louisiana Tech who won 3 games last year. And Louisiana Tech ran for -1 yards in the first half, had a punt blocked, and threw an interception.

I get that we're not exactly firing on all cylinders heading into this one but Clemson isn't Georgia. They play us, NC State, and FSU in 3 of their next 4 games. I wouldn't be that surprised to see them go 2-2 in that stretch, doubt they make it 4-0. Might as well be us, but it'll only happen if Hartman gets right.

This is where I am. There’s no reason we can’t win this game and Clemson looks vulnerable on both sides of the ball, IMHO.
I am with you. However, I am not sure can put my family through watching this game with me. IT starts 9am on the West coast and it's my birthday. The family will be all about "love and happiness" and I will be a drunk, nervous wreck if I watch it in real time. Last week was bad enough. Ugh.

I am with you. However, I am not sure can put my family through watching this game with me. IT starts 9am on the West coast and it's my birthday. The family will be all about "love and happiness" and I will be a drunk, nervous wreck if I watch it in real time. Last week was bad enough. Ugh.
As a new transplant to the West time zone, having it over with by lunch time is pretty nice for either outcome.

Back