• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clemson @ WFU - Saturday 9/24 - 12 Noon ABC

Clawson needs to accept that the defense is just never going to win them the game. He has to play more aggressive on offense and go for the win when our best players have the ball.
100% agree. I love him but goddammit…stop playing not to lose! Hard to watch your offense run three times so you can purposely punt the ball back to Clemson and play for OT. Go win the game right there with the best players we have.

100% agree. I love him but goddammit…stop playing not to lose! Hard to watch your offense run three times so you can purposely punt the ball back to Clemson and play for OT. Go win the game right there with the best players we have.

I have said this for years and I simply don't get it. Call it LOWF if you wish but we were underdogs today. When no one expects you to win, including half your living alumni, WHY IN THE HELL do you get conservative? So you lose being aggressive? Okay.

Well, shit, look where we stand right now at 4:30pm!!!! Clemson had to be praying we wouldn't throw the damn ball.

I can't tell if it's personnel, coaching, scheming or a combination of all three. Either way, just any fucking defense on 3rd downs and we win this game today.

The quality of the athletes show up in defense more than offense. Defense is reaction, speed, size. To the extent the D lost this game it was the recruiting. The D made some great plays.

I’m generally pretty hard on coaching but this was a well coached game. A few questionable play calls on both sides but this was simply not like the UNC game last year.

Clemson made several fantastic plays where we were in perfect position.

Some of it is we are cursed I mean if there's any game that we have a chance to win like that the other team always makes a 52 yard field goal

We had the ball tied with a chance to win
Of every fact this is the one that is stuck in my craw. 5 yards from a first down with less than a minute left on the other side of the 50. Said in the thread it would cost us a win and unfortunately was right.

Some of it is we are cursed I mean if there's any game that we have a chance to win like that the other team always makes a 52 yard field goal
yeah clemson made amazing play after amazing play. and we came away with nothing from all the batted balls (probably 4 or 5).

yea like beyond the annoying play calling, conservative streak, and first half D, Clemson executed so well on offense and got every play that they absolutely needed to get

I’m pretty sure I saw Clawson say we are going for it on 4th. I think it was just too far, which he seemed to confirm in his press conference.

I’m pretty sure I saw Clawson say we are going for it on 4th. I think it was just too far, which he seemed to confirm in his press conference.
I guess I don’t really understand this though. 4th & 3 vs 4th & 5 is the same playcall. There was no chance we were running there. I just hate that after passing for a school record 6 TDs we let the run game and defense try to win it.

Sure, but you dont have to call a RPo on 15 straight 1st downs when your WRs are torching their D. I was fine with it until we worked clock down to minute and a half. At that point its all about scoring. No longer about clock

You are complaining about 1 run play that lost yardage after 5 or 6 straight run plays where we marched it down the field. The run on 1st down there wasn’t the problem, it was taking a fucking sack on 2nd down for -6 yards after looking off the RB outlet pass in the flat. That series stalled because Hartman made the wrong decision on one play. He completes it to the wide open back right there and we probably get 5+ yards and it’s a manageable 3rd down and 7(?) instead of 3rd and 18.

Six TD passes by your QB and you limit him in the 2nd OT.

Everyone knew Jordan was getting the ball end-of-game. Everyone KNOWS Brady is going to throw to win the game. Make them stop your best weapon and if they do? Well, they deserved to win the game. I don't get it but I'm sure there's some "jumbo, x, 53 slice, purple Q-read" lingo I can be schooled on in this week's presser.

I saw him mouth that too and honestly the way Clemson's offense had scored at will in the fourth, I thought that was the best call. Even if you don't get it, they have no time outs and thirty seconds to go 30 yds.

At the same time their kicker did just nail a 52 yarder and looked like he could have nailed it from 60. I just wish we would have done the fake hand off with a pass on first down before the punt.

Lambert really has to tighten things up on 3rd down. Unacceptable.

Gotta hand it to Sam and Malik. They played the hell out of this game.

Heartbreaking outcome, but this is such a good group of guys

It was a bad omen that Stan and Lambert were talking favorably about Wake’s 3rd down percentage in the pregame. Coming into the game Wake was 10/48 and 6th in the nation. Of course, they didn’t mention giving up 4/5 on 4th down. Wake was 6/8 on 4th down. 115th in the country.

You are complaining about 1 run play that lost yardage after 5 or 6 straight run plays where we marched it down the field. The run on 1st down there wasn’t the problem, it was taking a fucking sack for -6 yards after looking off the RB outlet pass in the flat. That series stalled because Hartman made the wrong decision on one play. He completes it to the back right there and we probably get 5 yards and it’s a manageable 3rd down and 7(?) instead of 3rd and 18.
I mean we marched down the field and got a little bit complacent with the run. It happens at least once a game for Clawson teams. Unfortunately, today it happened at the worst time and cost us the game. For as well as our guys ended up playing for three quarters, Clawson is pretty much solely responsible for that game. Put us in an excellent position to win and then just got scared and let his foot off the gas. A run and a sack later, we blew our best shot in history at beating a Top-5 team.

It is what it is, but I wish Ruggeiro and Clawson could get better at resisting that impulse to run when we're within striking distance. It's what other posters have already said. You gotta play to win. We played to tie and we lost the game.

Going for it on 4th down right there would have been a mistake. You are giving them the ball at midfield with 50 seconds left with a kicker who you know is good from the 35. You trust our defense to keep Clemson from gaining 20 yards to win the game?

Back