• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clemson @ WFU - Saturday 9/24 - 12 Noon ABC

Just going to say that I despise Clemson fans to the point that I’m rooting for State next week. We were the better team and we deserved to win that game and they’re acting like we should be happy they graced us with their presence. Even the parent section on TV was obnoxious. They were upset over calls?? Our receivers were dangerously mauled all game.

And anyone comparing this to 2006 is wrong. Im devastated, but in 2006, any realist knew CP was gone. We were the favored team and we blew it. This is not that. We’re going to beat them soon.

Time is only an issue if you have to get in the endzone. We only needed 20-25 more yards for a fg and had 90 seconds and 3to left to get it.
Sure!

But it seemed pretty clear to me that our offense after we crossed midfield was more worried about clock than scoring. Which would have been fine up 3 but not tied.

They did their job. They ran the clock and got to our side of the field. Now open back up the offense and go score. I don’t understand why this take is problematic MDMH

Anyone else physically ill? I don't even want to eat dinner at this point. Had Wake won this game, the implications were just enormous. Absolutely enormous.

I think that’s what is making me feel better actually. Clemson is a perennial top 5 program and for the first time in forever we actually played well and had a shot to win in a pretty damn good game.

It’s a really good reflection on our program to continue to show some progress after a great year last year. This one hurts but we are building into a perennial top 20 team and we weren’t quite ready for that next leap today. Hurts but the future looks bright

I trust Sam to make the play. I think this is part of the problem with Clawson, though. Whether he knows it consciously or not, he just doesn't...
haha, weren't you just posting in the first quarter how much Hartman sucks and the Cam was right about him? But now you trust him and Clawson doesn't.....ok.

Just going to say that I despise Clemson fans to the point that I’m rooting for State next week. We were the better team and we deserved to win that game and they’re acting like we should be happy they graced us with their presence. Even the parent section on TV was obnoxious. They were upset over calls?? Our receivers were dangerously mauled all game.

And anyone comparing this to 2006 is wrong. Im devastated, but in 2006, any realist knew CP was gone. We were the favored team and we blew it. This is not that. We’re going to beat them soon.

We should all be rooting for State. We need State and another team to beat Clemson just like last year.

Good news is it appears it is Clemson, NC St, and us who are only serious ACC contenders

So yeah need St to beat Clemson next week

I don't agree about just taking 4 shots downfield, but you can't call it a lower percentage play given how going downfield drew several DPIs. Penalty yards were one of the main ways the offense was moving downfield. Not throwing the ball took away the DPIs. One of those gets in long FG range.
You have a lot of trust in ACC refs to make that call to beat Clemson at the end of the game. I guarantee they swallow the whistle

I don't think FSU or Cuse are serious, but they'll be competitive. We need one or both of them to upset Clemson.

Kind of crazy that the whole Clemson is down meme has taken over even while they've won 10 straight.

You have a lot of trust in ACC refs to make that call to beat Clemson at the end of the game. I guarantee they swallow the whistle

I trust those young DBs to make it hard for them not to call it. And I trust our WRs to come up with the ball. The odds of either are better than the odds of moving the ball in Clemson territory with only runs.

I kinda hope we fall out. Give the guys something to play for and no extra motivation for other teams.
Nah. They should have all the motivation they need. Plus I'm pretty sure no Wake team has spent the whole season in the Top 25. That's plenty of motivation right there.

So, I will ask again. Did we show the voters enough to stay in the top 25?
The most points anyone put up against Clemson last year was 27. In 2020, Notre Dame (ranked 4) put up 47 and Ohio State (ranked 3) put up 49. The highest behind that was 28. We scored 45 points. I would hope we're still in the top 25!

I'm not going back and reading posts here, but it's interesting to see negative posts on this last page I'm posting on.

I think that was one of the best football games I've ever watched.

Yes, 3rd down defense sucked, and yes we ran the ball too frequently toward the end of the game...

BUT...

I don't think ANYONE thought the game would have ended like it did. I didn't think we had a chance with the way our run defense had been playing...and going against a great RB and a running QB, I thought we were toast.

But the defense had one of the best showings I've seen in a while. We let a handful of big chunk plays, but we hit, wrapped up (for the most part), knocked down passes, and got a few key QB pressures and TFL. Our run defense was also surprisingly adequate on some drives.

We avoided turnovers and unfortunately didn't force any for the first time in 19 games and only the 2nd time in the last 36 games, which I think was the key of the game...had we forced just 1 turnover I think we could have pulled this one out.

Our offense was great. Greene and Banks specifically looked outstanding. Our WR group is, in my mind, the best in the nation, 2nd to only tOSU if anyone. I was pleasantly surprised with our running success in the 2nd half. We ran the ball hard, hit holes, and fell forward picking up key yards on short runs. And OUR RBS LOOKED GREAT IN PASS PROTECTION! Not used to saying that about Wake RBs. Our pass protection overall was extremely solid for most of the game, against one of the best D-Lines, if not THE best in the country, and that's what kept us in it.

As for Sam...Sam is just...otherworldly He didn't panic and had good pocket presence....he took sacks smartly a couple of times instead of throwing the ball into coverage and stepped up in the pocket at other times to avoid pressure. 1 of only 9 ACC players to throw for 10,000 yards....1 of only 9 ACC players to be responsible for 100 TDs....just awesome, awesome stuff. He almost DOUBLED his TDs on the year in this game alone. He should be a dark horse candidate for Heisman. 962 yds, 13 TDs, 2 INT through 3 games is fantastic. Those numbers are good for top 15 of all FBS QBs, before the end of Saturdays games, and they have all played 1 more game than Sam. I know that will change at the end of the day, but still, that's an impressive stat line. He's on pace for 3500 yds, 42 TDs, 7 INTs....that would have been top 15 in yards last year and top 5 in TDs...and it'll be in 11 games instead of 12....well....14 instead of 15 when we win the National Championship ;)

We were sooooo close to breaking all of those streaks they kept bringing up that it stings something terrible to not pull this one out. IDK if anyone has said anything about it, but we had a defender leap right over the snapper on the Clemson XP in the 1st OT and looked like he ALMOST got the ball...but alas, no go.

I am super impressed with this team, and I think we have a shot at an ACC crown if Clemson can get taken out by an NCSU or FSU and we can pull out wins against them. I think we have an EXCELLENT shot if we keep playing the way we did today.

On the way home from the game. I can’t believe there is not a “Fire Brad Lambert” thread. Very confident any solid 12 year old NCAA/Madden player would have sent the blitz on any obvious passing down against DJ. Instead, we gave him all the time in the world to carve up a porous and injury depleted secondary. Someone please post the stats against the blitz vs not from today. I guarantee you it’s shockingly night and day. Coaching malpractice.

Jesus...some of you are just going to complain no matter what.

We took the #5 team in the nation, who have won 2 National titles in the last 6-7 seasons, and one of the best defenses/D-Lines in the country to 2 OTs and we lit them up for 45 points.

Those complaining about the defense clearly weren't around for the last few years.

Lambert has had an obvious effect on the D and I don't think anyone could say otherwise.

Play calling may be questionable at times, but he's got us playing better than we have been in recent history.

I watched on the dvr so just coming to the thread. As I watched I kept thinking why aren’t we passing when that’s our biggest weapon? Great we managed a 1st down running but that put us in a spot to try and win the game.

While I can come up with a lot of ‘worst case’ things (see 2006) but punting with less than a minute after passing or even a pick inside the 30 would have likely lead to ot.

You can’t play for ot when teams are scoring easily because then it comes down to one play on either side. You just can’t truly control who is getting to make that last play.

On the way home from the game. I can’t believe there is not a “Fire Brad Lambert” thread. Very confident any solid 12 year old NCAA/Madden player would have sent the blitz on any obvious passing down against DJ. Instead, we gave him all the time in the world to carve up a porous and injury depleted secondary. Someone please post the stats against the blitz vs not from today. I guarantee you it’s shockingly night and day. Coaching malpractice.
coaching real football is harder / more complicated than playing madden.

Jesus...some of you are just going to complain no matter what.

We took the #5 team in the nation, who have won 2 National titles in the last 6-7 seasons, and one of the best defenses/D-Lines in the country to 2 OTs and we lit them up for 45 points.

Those complaining about the defense clearly weren't around for the last few years.

Lambert has had an obvious effect on the D and I don't think anyone could say otherwise.

Play calling may be questionable at times, but he's got us playing better than we have been in recent history.
Your 2nd paragraph is spot on. We should have won the game by 2 TDs. We’ve now played worse, two seasons in a row, against a mediocre Clemson offense vs. pretty much everyone on their schedule. Every QB, other than the top 1% of college and NFL QBs absolutely hates to be blitzed, and DJ is no exception. He panics under pressure and many Clemson fans want him benched. Not blitzing more was coaching malpractice.

Back