• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clemson @ WFU - Saturday 9/24 - 12 Noon ABC

Wake offense hasn't looked that much like the Wake offense of last year. Maybe because Sam was out for much of camp. Maybe Ruggerio and Clawson have kept much of the playbook under wraps. Whatever the reason,Wake O needs to bring their A+ game Saturday if Wake is going to win.

Wake's D looks better than last year. They are going to need to play even better than they have been so far this year against Clemson. We won't know until game whether the guys who were hurt last week will play. Wake will need them and will need some guys to, of necessity, step up and get above the line.

Our wide receivers are better than theirs and our QB is better than theirs. But the game is won in the trenches and that’s where they kill us every year.

So, let’s see what the Clawfense looks like on Saturday to keep them off balance.
This is what it is all about. The reason that Clemson has destroyed is is because not only have they been better in the trenches but until this year they have also been better at receiver and QB than us.

We have a chance if we don't let the officials get in our heads early with PI and holding calls

Glad the game is noon for the sake of players not having to dwell on its significance all day. Wake up, warm up, ball out.

This is what it is all about. The reason that Clemson has destroyed is is because not only have they been better in the trenches but until this year they have also been better at receiver and QB than us.

We have a chance if we don't let the officials get in our heads early with PI and holding calls

You bring up another very important aspect of this game that has not been discussed but with which we will be faced. The ACC brass does not like its sacred $$$$$-making cow tampered with. So, we will have to get through the officiating (aka Clemson cheer squad) gauntlet as well.

You bring up another very important aspect of this game that has not been discussed but with which we will be faced. The ACC brass does not like its sacred $$$$$-making cow tampered with. So, we will have to get through the officiating (aka Clemson cheer squad) gauntlet as well.
and there's also the little matter of Clemson's game the following week

and there's also the little matter of Clemson's game the following week

I was in Death Valley back in the Grobe era where we had Clemson on the ropes and the officials just flat-out panicked and threw a flag on every throw into the end-zone late in that game. Usually they disguise it better but they simply panicked in that game because they had run out of time.

Assumption is that Vegas expects Clemson to completely shut us down. Which they might if we don't find some creativity and a run game.
O/U should be more like 62.5. Good bet at 55.5.
I think this is mostly about Clemson. There is little faith in their offense (see the slow starts in all three of their games so far) and the high confidence in their defense. This is a step up in quality of opponent for the Tigers and it is on the road. That's probably enough to cause the lower total. As I think about it, these factors added to the possibility of nerves from the Deacs could make a 1st half under bet a better play.

About once a year after our Clemson game, so this year, maybe to break Clawson's Clemson "jinx" I'll try it before the Clemson game:

Clemson is holding our wide receivers. Throw the flag.

I was in Death Valley back in the Grobe era where we had Clemson on the ropes and the officials just flat-out panicked and threw a flag on every throw into the end-zone late in that game. Usually they disguise it better but they simply panicked in that game because they had run out of time.
Was there as well....early September game....so many fades to the far right endzone corner from our visitor section seats....seems like a flag was tossed EVERY time!

I don't think we are going to be able to count on deep bombs to Perry to get our offense going this weekend. My hope is that Greene takes advantage of some one on one matchups and has a breakout game. With how quickly Clemson can get penetration, I assume the mesh reads are going to have to be much quicker as well. Cooley would seem to be the back of choice this weekend as he has more ability to barrel through for a couple yards and not rely on cuts so much. If we win it will be hard fought, this is team that is uniquely built to disrupt Wake on both sides of the ball.

Also is all black really what we want at noon in mid-September?

Well...Dave has me believing again.

Good quote: "don't walk around depressed, after you win the game. You won the game and that is hard to do."

Quote 2: "all I want to do is go out there and play well and play the way we are capable of playing." In response to the past 3 games, as well as the past few years v. Clemson.

I don't think we are going to be able to count on deep bombs to Perry to get our offense going this weekend. My hope is that Greene takes advantage of some one on one matchups and has a breakout game. With how quickly Clemson can get penetration, I assume the mesh reads are going to have to be much quicker as well. Cooley would seem to be the back of choice this weekend as he has more ability to barrel through for a couple yards and not rely on cuts so much. If we win it will be hard fought, this is team that is uniquely built to disrupt Wake on both sides of the ball.

Projected to be in the mid to upper 60s at Noon on Saturday.

I say scale back the mesh game for this matchup....replace it with some WR screens, middle screens to the TE and traditional draw plays. At least try to do this early on to take some of the starch out of the DL pressure on the edges and up the middle. Then move to the mesh a bit after getting their DL thinking screen.

we really, really need a TD on our first drive. preferably a bomb from Sam. a 3-and-out out of the gate will just set a bad tone.
I'll see your bet and raise you...I'd love to see some bombs from Sam to Greene or AT Perry on the outside to open the game, but to have PI called on consecutive plays. We need to force Clemson's DBs to not play overly aggressive against our receivers. If we don't get a clear PI or holding call...Clawson needs to get an unsportsmanlike and set the tone. I'm not in the camp that thinks officiating dictates the outcome of most games, but the blatant holding and PI no-calls against Clemson need to stop, if only for this one game. Come out and smack them in the mouth. Hope the OL is ready for one of this season's biggest challenges...until we face Bama in the playoff.

Back