• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clemson @ WFU - Saturday 9/24 - 12 Noon ABC

Like when we wrapped up his leg and held onto his leg and he just tossed a completion anyway?

That was ridiculous.

I thought Bothroyd, Jasheen Davis, Pointer and of course Mustapha on the blitz - got there - but needed to grab his jersey or something.

Just 5-6 inches from making a few huge plays - a couple of times we were still MMA hand-fighting and slapping with the O lineman, and the QB was about 2 feet away. I was screaming "DIVE" and "GRAB."

Clemson was an absurd 16 of 23 on third downs. Some of that was just being a split second too late to DJ or absurd hall placement on some of his throws. I don’t know what it is but when he sees the Deacs his eyes just light up. I really thought we had great coverage on some of those deep balls he threw.

Yeah the loss of yards on first down and then the sack on second were brutal at the end of the fourth. This loss hurt because we aren't going to get many realistic chances to beat Clemson. The defense couldn't get pressure but they did get some stops to keep us in the game.

Once Wake took the lead 28-20, here are the drives for Clemson:

• TD: 9 plays & 75 yards
  • TD: 10 plays & 75 yards
  • FG: 7 plays & 17 yards
  • Kneeldown at end of 4th qtr
  • TD in 1st OT: 3 plays & 25 yards
  • TD in 2nd OT: 3 plays & 25 yards

The amount of pissing and moaning over the play calls, Sam, or the final drive is ridiculous. Defense let this team down once again.

But I completely understand the defensive strategy - We were forced to play man coverage down our Top 2 CB's with little safety help as Shipley would have shredded a light box.

Tough to stomach allowing DJU to look like a Heisman candidate but it is what it is.

1. JJ Roberts got targeted and got beat a lot, unfortunately.

2. Mustapha had at least 3 chances to change the game - and his is awesome, but could not get it done.

3. Clemson must be teaching their guys to grab face masks (why not, they are Clemson after all). A ton, including the Hartman helmet rip off, but one time their WR grabbed our CB facemask, just to throw him off right at the snap - have not seen that maybe ever.

4. Our brick wall in the end zone. Since Dortch nearly died on one of our pylons, our wall is a little curious to me. Donavan Greene slammed into it at least once - is it padded?

2. Mustapha had at least 3 chances to change the game - and his is awesome, but could not get it done.

3. Clemson must be teaching their guys to grab face masks (why not, they are Clemson after all). A ton, including the Hartman helmet rip off, but one time their WR grabbed our CB facemask, just to throw him off right at the snap - have not seen that maybe ever.

4. Our brick wall in the end zone. Since Dortch nearly died on one of our pylons, our wall is a little curious to me. Donavan Greene slammed into it at least once - is it padded?
The corners of the south endzone are padded and there are graphics on them to make it look like bricks.

there's a padding on top of the wall, which fans lean against

To me the difference in the game was our inability to get more pressure on DJ. Our O-line did a great job of protecting Sam I thought against a monster defensive front, but Clemson was able to get enough pressure on Sam for that to be the real difference in my opinion. We just don't get enough of a pass-rush often enough and with the secondary banged up, getting pressure was even more important than usual.

I thought our guys played their butts off though, yeah you can talk about the defense, but I thought the effort was very good on that side of the ball too. I'm really concerned about the FSU game if it gets played, you could tell our guys put their heart and souls into beating Clemson and to come so close and not get it done will be hard to get over in a week. FSU is playing well and we're going to need the same type of effort we saw Saturday to beat them I think, it's a lot to ask.

To me the difference in the game was our inability to get more pressure on DJ. Our O-line did a great job of protecting Sam I thought against a monster defensive front, but Clemson was able to get enough pressure on Sam for that to be the real difference in my opinion. We just don't get enough of a pass-rush often enough and with the secondary banged up, getting pressure was even more important than usual.

I thought our guys played their butts off though, yeah you can talk about the defense, but I thought the effort was very good on that side of the ball too. I'm really concerned about the FSU game if it gets played, you could tell our guys put their heart and souls into beating Clemson and to come so close and not get it done will be hard to get over in a week. FSU is playing well and we're going to need the same type of effort we saw Saturday to beat them I think, it's a lot to ask.
I think you're right. We rushed 3 in some situations that were questionable, and we definitely kept some DTs from pinning their ears back to spy him even when we rushed 4-5. He's tough to bring down for sure.

The biggest fish that ever got away. Unreal. This was our moment to break through. I don’t k ow why I’m reading this thread because I basically had to stop thinking about college football for 24+ hrs.

The biggest fish that ever got away. Unreal. This was our moment to break through. I don’t k ow why I’m reading this thread because I basically had to stop thinking about college football for 24+ hrs.

It's Monday and I feel no better about Saturday. There was just SO MUCH to be gained and we flat-out had them! Now I see those bastards crowing on YouTube about how they'll win it all.

Clemson is not winning it all. Hartman and our receivers are great, but Clemson's secondary has fallen off a cliff. There are 3 teams miles ahead of everyone else, and not sure Clemson is even in mix to be the 4th team (whomever it is getting drilled in the semi).

Clemson is not winning it all. Hartman and our receivers are great, but Clemson's secondary has fallen off a cliff. There are 3 teams miles ahead of everyone else, and not sure Clemson is even in mix to be the 4th team (whomever it is getting drilled in the semi).
Yeah, I think Clemson probably loses two games at least in the regular season. Not sure who it will be, but I just don't see that team going undefeated, especially not in the Atlantic division. (I do NOT, however, think NC State can beat them at their place...)

harder for Heisman Leary to sling it
I think this is probably true. DJ is still a big freight train even in the rain. My only hesitation is that Shipley is more of a finesse runner, and his change of direction will be limited.

I was probably most impressed, and most surprised, by the way we contained Shipley (other then the first play of the game).

I don't think State has the ability to challenge Clemson's DBs the same way Wake did. All Clemson's DBs have to do is just not get beat over the top and they should shut State down. This could be a 17-14 game in the rain.

Back