• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CMM and Rountree now 4 star, top 100 on Scout

Agreed.

I'm not sure how having guys move from 3* to 4* addresses my concerns with Buzz's recruiting abilities. Signing McClinton would change my mind though.

How? We've signed three 5* going back to Prosser's early years. Two of them are great talents and one sucked. While I agree that CMM and Rountree in the 70's and 80's isn't as impressive as getting Top 50 guys, we're pretty much par for the course with two 4* players and one 3* player.

This gives me pretty good confidence in our 2013 class if Bzz can put at least an OK product on the floor next year.

Wha'ts interesting and hasn't been mentioned is that Andre Washington is now listed at 7.05.

I'm pretty sure when we signed him he was listed at 6'10.

Something else is 2012 is much stronger than 2011. Plus 2012 seems to be a quirky year as it has a ton of centers.

How? We've signed three 5* going back to Prosser's early years. Two of them are great talents and one sucked. While I agree that CMM and Rountree in the 70's and 80's isn't as impressive as getting Top 50 guys, we're pretty much par for the course with two 4* players and one 3* player.

This gives me pretty good confidence in our 2013 class if Bzz can put at least an OK product on the floor next year.

Buzz seems to be taking the Jim Grobe approach of identifying talent and offering early. If anything, this just proves that he is good at identifying talent.

My concern is that he doesn't have the ability to win a head to head recruiting battle for a recruit. So far he has only beaten schools that I would not hold on par with Wake for these guys. Look at their offer lists.

McClinton is well established for 2013 and would require Buzz to win head to head to sign him.

Don't hold your breath on McClinton for 2013 (unless he bcomes a SG) as we will be returning a two year starter and star at his position.

Buzz seems to be taking the Jim Grobe approach of identifying talent and offering early. If anything, this just proves that he is good at identifying talent.

My concern is that he doesn't have the ability to win a head to head recruiting battle for a recruit. So far he has only beaten schools that I would not hold on par with Wake for these guys. Look at their offer lists.

McClinton is well established for 2013 and would require Buzz to win head to head to sign him.

I think this is a fair and accurate post. It seems like [Redacted] has earned our trust as far as identifying solid, high-major talent early, before other high-major programs have done so. The open question is whether he can win a recruiting battle for a high-major talent whom other high-major programs have have offered and are recruiting.

Of course, if Bz continues to offer and receive commitments from kids ONLY who, despite having no other high-major offers, rocket up the rankings once scouts and evaluators actually get a look at them, then maybe he won't ever have to win those head-to-head battles.

After seeing these guys play I was pretty sure this was going to happen and am glad that Coach [Redacted] is able to identify talent early on and get them to come to Wake. This doesn't address whether or not he will be a successful coach, or whether or not he eve needs to win big recruiting battles if he can keep getting guys that shoot up the list after he signs them.

Time will tell, but kudos to Coach [Redacted] for getting exactly what (I believe) we need for the Class of 2012.

Agree 100%.

Great news by the way with CMM and Rountree. The fan base needed this.

After seeing these guys play I was pretty sure this was going to happen and am glad that Coach [Redacted] is able to identify talent early on and get them to come to Wake. This doesn't address whether or not he will be a successful coach, or whether or not he eve needs to win big recruiting battles if he can keep getting guys that shoot up the list after he signs them.

Time will tell, but kudos to Coach [Redacted] for getting exactly what (I believe) we need for the Class of 2012.

Great coach and even better person.

Exactly what we need? We STILL don't have a big guy that will be able to defend and rebound consistently in the post. When will Bz address our actual most pressing need? 2013?

Exactly what we need? We STILL don't have a big guy that will be able to defend and rebound consistently in the post. When will Bz address our actual most pressing need? 2013?

...we got Andre Washington--a 6'11, 200 pound center. I think defense and rebounding should be right up his alley.

We still haven't seen Green (2011) or Washington (2012) in a WFU uniform, not to mention Carson's projected improvement or whether or not Tabb will be a factor.. you aren't going to find many big men who are going to make an impact in their first years.

Maybe that's decent size for the 100 lb weakling but everything I read sounds like Andre won't be ready for ACC ball his first year. 6'11" and 200 lbs? Are you serious that's our incoming bruiser?

But Buzzz cant recruit :willynilly:

Hopefully this stops all the retarded sock jokes, which might be the dumbest thing i've ever read.

I agree with the sock jokes getting tiring. But don't act like all of us Bz outers and waiters have been criticizing his 2012 class. Deman, Scout and others had given us rather glowing accounts of Rountree, McIntyre and Washington, so most everyone on both this board and the DS board have been pretty psyched about that class regardless of ranking.

I would point out, however, that his 2011 class and his prior classes at Colorado don't stack up to this 2012 class, so he's yet to prove he can recruit at this level on a consistent basis. And he's yet to prove he can coach our kids up on the court at an ACC level - even worse, at the current depleted ACC level where there are only 2 good programs in the conference. So let's see what this year's on court performance looks like before singing his praises.

Maybe that's decent size for the 100 lb weakling but everything I read sounds like Andre won't be ready for ACC ball his first year. 6'11" and 200 lbs? Are you serious that's our incoming bruiser?

On the heels of Carson, Green and Tabb, he will be able to grow into the role (both literally and figuratively).

Offering 2* players who move up to a 4* after verballing means that those of us who thought we were going to focus on sleepers were dead on. The fear was that instead of waiting for players to prove themselves over the summer, we were going to roll the dice on getting them early with hopes that they were actually better than that.

That's what happened.

It also means those 2* players woke up. That's a good thing, but that strategy long-term isn't going to lead to consistent results on the court.

The Grobe comparison is a positive as long as those sleepers are like Aaron Curry. And even the sleepers like Curry and Arnoux were balanced with highly rated recruits (for Wake football) players like Phonz and Jeremy Thompson that we had to win some recruiting battles for.

The Grobe comparison is also a negative considering how people have been just blaming the talent for the recent dropoff. We've had a lot of 2* sleepers who were only 2* players for good reason.

Offering 2* players who move up to a 4* after verballing means that those of us who thought we were going to focus on sleepers were dead on. The fear was that instead of waiting for players to prove themselves over the summer, we were going to roll the dice on getting them early with hopes that they were actually better than that.

That's what happened.

It also means those 2* players woke up. That's a good thing, but that strategy long-term isn't going to lead to consistent results on the court.

The Grobe comparison is a positive as long as those sleepers are like Aaron Curry. And even the sleepers like Curry and Arnoux were balanced with highly rated recruits (for Wake football) players like Phonz and Jeremy Thompson that we had to win some recruiting battles for.

The Grobe comparison is also a negative considering how people have been just blaming the talent for the recent dropoff. We've had a lot of 2* sleepers who were only 2* players for good reason.

Agree 100% with this too.

And Wake basketball should not be following the same recruiting strategy as Wake football.

he's actually listed now at 7' 1/2", 220.

He could use another 10-20 pounds.

On the heels of Carson, Green and Tabb, he will be able to grow into the role (both literally and figuratively).

But don't tell me this class is exactly what we need when we are looking at two more years of all giant question marks in the frontcourt.

I am impressed and happy with Roundtree and especially CMM.

Back