• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CMM

Chauncey was never really a great shooter even in the NBA. Scorer? Yes. And he could shoot the three ball. But he was never a great percentage shooter.

40% on 3s (taking 4-5 a night) and 90% from the line qualifies him as a great shooter IMO. His overall FG% was low more as a function of a high 3FGA/FGA percentage. And my memory may be failing me but I don't think he was ever a great finisher at the rim which contributes to his lower overall FG%.

When your nickname is Mr. Big Shot you're probably a decent shooter.

The funny thing is I'm pretty sure his end of game stats were terrible. He got that moniker after hitting a few big ones during the title run in 2004 and had poor results after that.

Chauncey was never really a great shooter even in the NBA. Scorer? Yes. And he could shoot the three ball. But he was never a great percentage shooter.

That position is kind of hard to harmonize with the fact that Billups is #4 all-time in the NBA (#2 among active players) in free-throw percentage at an incredible 89.4%. He is also 4th among active players in 3 point FG's made (6th among all NBA players), and he has finished in the top 10 in true shooting percentage (takes into account both 2 and 3 point FG%) four different times. The point is that to compare him to CMM as college players is not accurate as Billups was a far more prolific and accurate shooter at Colorado than CMM at WF.

That position is kind of hard to harmonize with the fact that Billups is #4 all-time in the NBA (#2 among active players) in free-throw percentage at an incredible 89.4%. He is also 4th among active players in 3 point FG's made (6th among all NBA players), and he has finished in the top 10 in true shooting percentage (takes into account both 2 and 3 point FG%) four different times. The point is that to compare him to CMM as college players is not accurate as Billups was a far more prolific and accurate shooter at Colorado than CMM at WF.

Yeah, free throws are different in my mind. If you want to trot out all-time great shooters from the stripe and beyond the arc, contrast Billups' FG% with guys like Ray Allen and Reggie Miller. They're not close. If you want a closer apples-to-apples comparison, check the FG% on other all-time greats from the stripe like Steve Nash and Chris Paul. Again, FG% much better.

Billups had a very low FG% throughout his career. :noidea:

Just glancing at most of the all-time FT% greats, I can't find hardly one with a bad career FG% other than Scott Skiles.

I think it boils down to Billups being bad around the rim and living and dying on long 2s or 3s. 40% on 3s for a 10 year prime shooting between 4 and 5 a game is elite. I doubt there are too many guys who can claim that. Reggie and Ray probably being two of them.

Oh and Steve Nash is just silly. He's probably the best shooter of all time.

I mean, if you make an argument that Billups is one of the best shooters of all time, I feel like he should be compared with all-time great shooters?

I acknowledged that Billups could shoot the three ball, but he had some pretty horrendous FG%, even during some of his great years in Detroit.

No one said that Billups is one of the best shooters of all time (even though he is unquestionably one of the best FT shooters of all-time and one of the most prolific 3 point shooters in NBA history). The context of the Billups reference in this thread was the comparison of CMM to Billups. The point being made is that Billups is a far better shooter than CMM (who has a total of 12 treys on the year and is shooting 24% from the 3, and 67% from the line).

This thread reminds me of when Stephen Colbert, a few years back, would ask his more liberal leaning guests "George W. Bush: great president or the greatest president?"

Back