• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CNN Townhall with Parkland Students, Rubio, NRA and others

Isn't it cache also the preferred term in IT/computers (which I believe is WakeandBake's field)? That's where my mind went, not guns.

See, I usually think of caching as having to do with acorn storage.
fd2448c11ef3e67c2945a6e9302c8d34.jpg

The English language is so funny.

Furthermore, when I think of the act of wake and bake (not the poster), there's also "cashed" and its resulting sad connotation.

Occasionally you hear people, in the context of their computer, say "the software told me my cache was full" and they pronounce it "cash-ay" Clearly these people are pronouncing it incorrectly, and I idiotically inferred that they made that mistake because the spelling of the two words was identical and they were just crossing them up.

See, I usually think of caching as having to do with acorn storage.
fd2448c11ef3e67c2945a6e9302c8d34.jpg

The English language is so funny.

This bird is the shit. Gonna be ballin' all winter. Stupid squirrels burying theirs in ground. How you gonna find that mess in the snow?

Update on the town halls, there are a lot on the map now:

https://townhallproject.com/

Why "Hardening" Schools Won't Stop Violence and School Shootings

At Emma’s house, we resolved to fight as a family, and one of our battles as a group is against calls for the “hardening” of schools and for more policing on school grounds, calls that have been made by state legislators in Florida and President Donald Trump.

Trust me, where I’m from schools are already harder than you could imagine. We get up extra early every day to allow time to wait in line for the metal detectors. We’re disproportionately affected by zero-tolerance policies that funnel us into the school-to-prison pipeline. We already see armed police officers walking the halls and if you don’t understand why that alone can cause us stress, then you haven’t learned about the treatment of Laquan McDonald or Tamir Rice or Sandra Bland or Stephon Clark. You should.

As a proposed solution to mass shootings in schools, elected leaders want us to walk into classrooms where teachers carry loaded weapons? I challenge you to sit and learn about the history of civil rights with a clear mind while there are guns in your classroom. I challenge you to focus on studying statistics when you spend half your time trying not to become one.

I don't understand the problem. We know that more guns = safer schools, so why not just give all the kids guns?

http://www.sci-news.com/archaeology/cache-assyrian-cuneiform-iraq-05350.html

That's a cache of Assyrian cuneiform tablets. I didn't work on that site, but I was an archaeology lab and field tech for about five years. The last contract archaeology I did was looking for a small Revolutionary War battlefield.

Sweet, you were a shovel bum! Cultural resource management, am i right.

I have a degree in archeology, but ended up in a slightly different field. Still get to work with artifacts though

Sweet, you were a shovel bum! Cultural resource management, am i right.

I have a degree in archeology, but ended up in a slightly different field. Still get to work with artifacts though

Yeah, I've done that quite a bit over the years.

i shovelbummed a lil bit in undergrad and did some field schools in Italy with the great Ned Woodall. TSYwake was also in the program. Was Ned still around when you went through ranger?

He was already retired by the time HTTD and I came through. But replaced with the formidable Paul Thacker. Best teacher I had at wake.

Occasionally you hear people, in the context of their computer, say "the software told me my cache was full" and they pronounce it "cash-ay" Clearly these people are pronouncing it incorrectly, and I idiotically inferred that they made that mistake because the spelling of the two words was identical and they were just crossing them up.

Now you are just sashaying around. Show off

I'm having a tough time reconciling these two gun advocate stances:

1: "guns don't kill people, people kill people"
2: "the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

The former seems to imply that guns are not the cause of violence while the latter seems to say "Of course they cause violence. That's why we need guns to protect ourselves." I wouldn't compare the two if I didn't see so many of the same people arguing both. People who side with stance 2 appear to admit that guns are a problem, but apparently think they are too ingrained for a ban to be effective (which I find to be a much more compelling argument than...) while people of stance 1 imply that guns are not a problem.

Back