• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching candidate - Pat Kelsey

Pat, like Russell, is young, aggressive, honest, successful, and loves Wake. They are 2 of the only guys who would be willing to come here & win for 3 decades.

I disagree with all here--and RW--for not considering them. Let's go get another old retread who has no chance to be here in 15 years. :tear:

We can't gamble on this hire. The program is on life support and there really is no room for error.

Turner and Kelsey may well be future superstars but we can't know that now. We need somebody young and aggressive but who has already established some credibility at a name program. If the next coach fails, we are headed deeper into the wilderness and god only knows how far from the exits.

I don't understand people's aversion to the Prosser or Odom coaching trees. So what if they worked under either of them as an assistant; if they are a good coach and have a record of winning and good recruit, who gives a shit who their old bosses were? Having said that, I agree that Kelsey, while seemingly an awesome guy, doesn't have enough experience to take over and recover this program at this stage.

I don't understand people's aversion to the Prosser or Odom coaching trees. So what if they worked under either of them as an assistant; if they are a good coach and have a record of winning and good recruit, who gives a shit who their old bosses were? Having said that, I agree that Kelsey, while seemingly an awesome guy, doesn't have enough experience to take over and recover this program at this stage.

Eh, I'm not sure Johnny Wooden does

We could do a hell of a lot worse than Kelsey. You folks that are holding out for somebody like Shaka Smart or Greg Marshall are going to be sorely disappointed. There is no chance in hell either of those guys will be the next coach at Wake Forest.

Would seriously consider, but Weelman won't touch him. Very good coach.

There's also no chance in hell a guy who's 31-29 at Winthrop should so much as be in the conversation to be our next coach. Give me a fucking break.

We could do a hell of a lot worse than Kelsey. You folks that are holding out for somebody like Shaka Smart or Greg Marshall are going to be sorely disappointed. There is no chance in hell either of those guys will be the next coach at Wake Forest.

We can also do a hell of a lot better. Interesting how some have quickly forgotten the complete ass Kelsey made of himself, while an Xavier assistant, talking crap to the very WFU players he recruited. And, spare me the whole "it's all in the spirit of competition b.s.". The guy was being a horse's ass. Plain and simple.

Then, we have the little issue of him completely leaving basketball to apparently go "find himself" all to return in Rock Hill, SC of all places.

I have no interest in bringing this guy in as head coach.

I have a strong suspicion we are going to be hiring Mike Brown

We can also do a hell of a lot better. Interesting how some have quickly forgotten the complete ass Kelsey made of himself, while an Xavier assistant, talking crap to the very WFU players he recruited. And, spare me the whole "it's all in the spirit of competition b.s.". The guy was being a horse's ass. Plain and simple.

Then, we have the little issue of him completely leaving basketball to apparently go "find himself" all to return in Rock Hill, SC of all places.

I have no interest in bringing this guy in as head coach.

This isn't entirely true.

This isn't entirely true.

Which part is not true? I sat two rows from him when he was yelling "HE CAN'T SHOOT!". "HE CAN'T FUCKING SHOOT!".

It's well documented he left basketball.

So, which of these two things are not "entirely true"?

Last edited:
Which part is not true? I sat two rows from him when he was yelling "HE CAN'T SHOOT!". "HE CAN'T FUCKING SHOOT!".

It's well documented he left basketball.

So, which of these two things are not "entirely true"?

I was on the Wake bench. He was telling his player to defend because he can't shoot. (Which was true.) Coaches say this every game. It's not talking shit to a guy. That situation was exacerbated by our player and he admitted as much post game.

Kelsey later hired the same player to be part of his staff.

Um. LD can't shoot. He can't fucking shoot.

unless shooting is doing an awesome alley oop, getting the crowd to go bonkers, and playing great d

he can't fucking shoot

Haha that is not even close to 'talking shit' to an opposing player. Coaches yell this kind of stuff at their players in the heat of games all the time. The hell are you even talking about.

Culture clubbers go nuts for any chance to call an opposing coach classless.

Back