• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching candidate - Pat Kelsey

I stand by my statements. Kelsey is not the guy for our next coach.

I stand by my statements. Kelsey is not the guy for our next coach.

Yeah because all he's proven as a coach is that he's able to take over a crap team and keep them crappy, and has generally done nothing to suggest he would succeed here (or anywhere) as HC. Not because he hurt LDs feelings.

The two statements are not mutually exclusive.

I think Kelsey is a stand up guy, but don't think he should be our next coach.

You can stand by them all day. You're wrong.

For the record, I made TWO points. Let me simplify them for you.

(1) Kelsey talked crap to former players he recruited while on the bench at Xavier

You have refuted that his language and behavior is used all of the time but you acknowledged that it did occur. I thought it was classless. You disagree and think it was just grand.
Either way, we both agree it occurred. Totally subjective as to the opinion of his behavior but I understand many think it was perfectly acceptable.

(2) Kelsey left the game of college basketball.

One can Google this fact and read for themselves.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-05-16/xavier-assistant-kelsey-leaves-coaching-profession

So, exactly, how am I wrong again? These were my only two points, one of which you already acknowledge occurred, and the other is easily found doing basic research.

Obviously, you have an agenda. I've presented mine. Kelsey is not the guy we need as the next coach. That's MY opinion.

Last edited:
yeah but not for those two reasons, one of which you misinterpreted

The two statements are not mutually exclusive.

I think Kelsey is a stand up guy, but don't think he should be our next coach.
I agree. Having known Pat from my time at Wake, I really like the guy. However, he hasn't done enough in his head coaching career to warrant the WF job.

For the record, I made TWO points. Let me simplify them for you.

(1) Kelsey talked crap to former players he recruited while on the bench at Xavier

You have refuted that his language and behavior is used all of the time but you acknowledged that it did occur. I thought it was classless. You disagree and think it was just grand.
Either way, we both agree it occurred. Totally subjective as to the opinion of his behavior but I understand many think it was perfectly acceptable.

(2) Kelsey left the game of college basketball.

One can Google this fact and read for themselves.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-05-16/xavier-assistant-kelsey-leaves-coaching-profession

So, exactly, how am I wrong again? These were my only two points, one of which you already acknowledge occurred, and the other is easily found doing basic research.

Obviously, you have an agenda. I've presented mine. Kelsey is not the guy we need as the next coach. That's MY opinion.

An agenda? No, I'm telling you it was the scouting report and he was telling his player. Every coach in the history of college basketball since the advent of film has done the same including our very own coaches. You misinterpreted the entire situation. I told you what happened post game. Trust me, I was there.

What part of subjective and "misinterpreted" are you struggling?

When you start spouting of "subjective" opinion as fact, be prepared to be corrected by someone with knowledge of the situation.

We can all agree that failure to do jack in the Big South doesn't warrant a call up to the ACC.. Especially when we are floundering so badly. We are in desperate need of a home run hire, and Kelsey isn't even close to that. Ask yourself if he had never been at Wake and you looked only at his resume, would you want him? Be honest.....

We can all agree that failure to do jack in the Big South doesn't warrant a call up to the ACC.. Especially when we are floundering so badly. We are in desperate need of a home run hire, and Kelsey isn't even close to that. Ask yourself if he had never been at Wake and you looked only at his resume, would you want him? Be honest.....

No way I want him to be our coach, but when I see a name like this, I worry.

None of this debate matters. Wellman is not going to interview anyone off the Prosser tree.

what is the objection to the Prosser tree (from RW)?

I am opposed based on merit, not on his lineage.

because they want to win, and understand that to win in the ACC, you must recruit the best players available. If they stay only 2 years, so be it. RW and his cronies don't seem to understand that.

We can do better than Kelsey and Turner.

Back