• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coincidence

Here's one that doesn't involve running into other people:

This past February, SBTtoy and I were in bumfuck, WV coming home from a weekend in Snowshoe when all of a sudden my car starts making this deathly screeching sound, which for several reasons I believe is coming from one of the wheels. I pull over into a church parking lot to inspect and see nothing wrong, so I drive up about 300 yards to a gas station asking where the nearest garage is, and they put me on the phone with a guy about 1/4 mile up the road. We pull in there, he takes the wheel off, and just as he suspected, there's a little piece of gravel about the size of a fingernail stuck between my brake rotor and some plate behind it. I give the guy $10 and we're on our way.

Almost exactly a week later, SBTtoy and I are heading to Charlotte for a TAB concert at the Fillmore, around Statesville at 8:00 PM or so (driving her car this time), and her car starts making a very similar noise. I pull off into a service station and she calls AAA, since most garages are closed at the time. While we're waiting for the AAA guy, I decide to inspect the wheel on my own, and just as he arrives I pop the wheel off, bend the little plate behind the rotor back, and a small piece of gravel falls into my hand.

We got to the Fillmore in the middle of the third song and were able to enjoy the rest of the night; if we hadn't had the exact same experience, a week prior, in a different state, in our other car, we likely would have had an entirely different night.

After we had been married for about a year, my wife and I figured out we had spoken on the phone about 5 years before we ever met (and 10 years before we got married). Turns out she had dated my sophomore year roommate for about a month after they met working at the same store in Lexington, Ky over Christmas break.

I have a few. My fam ended up on the same cruise as our neighbors-- cruise left from Florida so it was definitely pretty random considering we're from small-town NC.

KBD and I ended up three gates apart in CLT two weeks ago when I had a layover and he was on his way to his Vermont interview. We had a nice little 15 minute airport date as a result.

KBD and I saw the same fireworks display in NYC July 4th, 2009--six months before we met.

That same trip, I had just finished telling my friend that I saw on Facebook that another wfu acquaintance was also in NYC that weekend when we ran into her at a random pizza shop.

My 4th grade best friend moved away before we started 5th grade. We later ended up as coworkers for about a year and a half.

Just recently was on a cruise. The piano bar had a great musician and so the wife and I would sit around the piano around midnight for a nightcap and enjoy some great singing.

There was another guy who was at the piano every night as well just enjoying the music and some good wine.

By the fifth night, we happened to strike up a conversation. Turns out he's a WFU grad and now lives in the Midwest. Needless to say, the remaining nights we discussed Wake basketball and football the balance of the cruise.

Middle of the ocean and meet another Wake grad on a ship with 5,000 passengers. Quite the coincidence.

I was picking up a friend at LAX. She was taking a while to get through customs. A guy taps me on the shoulder,"How have you been?"
"OK, do I know you?"
"Didn't you used to live in Havertown?"
I was puzzled. "Yep."
"You used to come into my pizza place."
It had been 20+years.

THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

When I was in college I flew up to Martha’s Vineyard to see my grandparents. I flew from Atlanta, my parents joined me in Newark. As we were “deplaning” (think of George Carlin here), I walked across the tarmac and a woman who was waiting to board the same plane stopped me and asked me if by any chance I knew (insert my fathers name), she said she had not seen him in over 25 years but the last time she did a group had put him on an airplane for him to fly back South for college. She said it was like a time warp and felt like she was now waiting for his arrival. I told her to wait about five minutes more because he got stuck in the back of the plane and would be here any minute. She even laughed how he , meaning me, had returned with a stronger southern accent.

We had a friend we called "Mr Play it Safe" who was afraid to fly. One day he packed his things and kissed his kids goodbye. He waited his whole damn life to take that flight; but as the plane crashed down, he thought "well isn't this nice." That's a coincidence, don't ya think?

We had a friend we called "Mr Play it Safe" who was afraid to fly. One day he packed his things and kissed his kids goodbye. He waited his whole damn life to take that flight; but as the plane crashed down, he thought "well isn't this nice." That's a coincidence, don't ya think?

heard that on the radio today...coincidence?

Definitely a coincidence. No irony involved.

I have three. Neither is as awesome as running into someone your parents knew 25 years ago.

After graduation I spent several weeks traipsing through Europe with a buddy before our jobs started. I had studied abroad in Vienna at the Flow House so we ended our trip there before flying home. On the last day of our trip we took one last visit downtown and we're walking around just taking it all in (you never know how long it will be before you're back) when literally no more than 10 feet in front of me walks a former suite-mate from Wake. Additionally, he and I were both going to work at the same company after we returned from abroad. Neither of us had any idea we were traveling before starting work.

I worked in Winston for three years before moving up to NYC. The company I worked for had hired several Wake grads my year and over the three years I was there most eventually left for opportunities in bigger cities. Last summer I left my apartment to go somewhere and no sooner had I turned the block and I ran into one of these former co-workers walking down the street. He had moved to DC about a year after we started and I hadn't seen him since.

A few weeks ago my fiancee and I went to a rehearsal dinner and wedding. We got to know the wedding party pretty well and one of the bridesmaids is Greek. She came to the US for college (that's how she knew the bride), but she moved back to Greece for her job and rarely comes to the US. Well, last weekend the fiancee and I are walking around a part of NYC we don't usually frequent and we pick a restaurant to try for dinner. Right after we sit down this Greek girl walks up to us and says "Hey!" It turns out she had to be back in NYC for a business trip and had picked that same restaurant for dinner that night.

my grandfather's college roommate and hs friend (both from fl) delivered my wife (in hickory, nc).

was on a flight from sfo to clt to go to a wake friend's wedding in ws. the couple next to us were headed to the same wedding, but they knew the groom. we end up chatting, and they used to live in tampa and dc. we exchange numbers but never meet up. 2 months later, we head to an a's game and they are 2 rows behind us. then a few months later we ran in to them at a tasting room in napa. stalkers.

I was living in Jersey a few years after graduation and one day my mom and I randomly ran into someone I knew from Wake in Times Square while we were both visiting the city.

About a year ago, a WFU bud of mine and another guy drove down from Raleigh to Sanford to play Tobacco Road GC in Sanford. On the way out of town they got into a semi road-rage deal with another car; horn honking, flipping each other off, etc. About an hour later they get to the course, and they're pretty sure the car they had the run-in with is parked in the lot. The course is busy that morning so they get paired with two other guys........yep, those guys. It was real awkward the first few holes, but after a few brews everyone loosened up and by the end of the round they were all laughing about it.

I grew up in NC
Over spring break in 5th grade we go to Disney World and end up sitting next to the same kid I sat next to in school in that Tiki bird hut. Had no idea his fam was going to DW too.

Back