• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball coaching changes

It really is depressing. If State get Sean Miller, Rick Barnes, Mooney, or Smart and GT gets one of those coaches we will without a doubt have the worst head coach in the ACC.

That "if" condition seems superfluous. Kidding aside, it is sort of depressing that we could really end up waaaay behind the coaching arms race, unless those other ADs pull a Wellman and do something inexplicable.

I just reread an article by Dana O'Neil on ESPN the other day that she wrote the day after Bz was hired. Bz himself was completely surprised that Wellman called him about the job and asked Wellman "what are you thinking?"
If you don't think you are good enough for the job and are questioning the AD's reasoning for hiring you then you might not be a good candidate for the position. I"m just saying...

I just reread an article by Dana O'Neil on ESPN the other day that she wrote the day after Bz was hired. Bz himself was completely surprised that Wellman called him about the job and asked Wellman "what are you thinking?"
If you don't think you are good enough for the job and are questioning the AD's reasoning for hiring you then you might not be a good candidate for the position. I"m just saying...

That's an odd quote. I wonder if that was taken out of context. I don't think Buzz doubts himself like that.

Well, he might after this past season, but not when he was hired.

That's an odd quote. I wonder if that was taken out of context. I don't think Buzz doubts himself like that.

Well, he might after this past season, but not when he was hired.

I remember seeing this, but I assumed it was said in the tone of "What are you thinking we need to do here?" not "What are you thinking in hiring me?"

I agree. A stronger group of coaches will hurt us in the short term as long as we are stuck with Bzzz, the worst coach in the ACC. But when Wellman is either fired or forced to replace Bzzz, we will be in a better position if the league is made stronger. I would think the best up and coming coaches would want to come coach in the best league. I just don't buy that coaches are too scared to come compete against Duke and UNC. If they're scared, we shouldn't want them anyway.

Agreed as well. I don't get this notion that coaches are ever scared to come coach in a conference. Each job has its challenges. Coaches aren't shying away from the Big East and that is arguably the toughest conference in the country. Coaching at a Big East school requires you to compete constantly against a tough schedule. Coaching at a mid-major like Butler, VCU, or Richmond requires you to recruit your ass off and convince higher rates recruits to come to lesser known schools and conferences or find diamonds in the rough.

The notion that Wake isn't a good job or coaches wouldn't want to come compete in the ACC against Duke/UNC is total BS.

Agreed as well. I don't get this notion that coaches are ever scared to come coach in a conference. Each job has its challenges. Coaches aren't shying away from the Big East and that is arguably the toughest conference in the country. Coaching at a Big East school requires you to compete constantly against a tough schedule. Coaching at a mid-major like Butler, VCU, or Richmond requires you to recruit your ass off and convince higher rates recruits to come to lesser known schools and conferences or find diamonds in the rough.

The notion that Wake isn't a good job or coaches wouldn't want to come compete in the ACC against Duke/UNC is total BS.

Agree here too....Almost all coaches and potential coaches (top mid-major coaches and top assistants at high majors) at this level (and in my opinion all the successful ones) have a very, very healthy ego. They have to in order to be successful. They believe they can go up against anyone and win. They believe they are the one who can turn a bad situation around in a hurry and turn a struggling program into a national contender...

That's also why I don't worry too much about the suggestion that if you fire a coach too quickly no one will want to take the job because they think the school has unrealistic expectations and/or a quick trigger finger and are afraid that they too will be quickly fired. No coach that I would want to consider hiring is going to be turned off by that, because the kind of coach you want isn't going into the job worrying that they are going to crap the bed and have the kind of results that would get them fired.

I do think some coaching candidates blackball jobs because they think their friend and/or someone they greatly respect was mistreated, but I don't buy that good coaches are scared off from jobs because they're afraid they'll do poorly and get fired quickly...

That's also why I don't worry too much about the suggestion that if you fire a coach too quickly no one will want to take the job because they think the school has unrealistic expectations and/or a quick trigger finger and are afraid that they too will be quickly fired. No coach that I would want to consider hiring is going to be turned off by that, because the kind of coach you want isn't going into the job worrying that they are going to crap the bed and have the kind of results that would get them fired.

I do think some coaching candidates blackball jobs because they think their friend and/or someone they greatly respect was mistreated, but I don't buy that good coaches are scared off from jobs because they're afraid they'll do poorly and get fired quickly...

Thank you.

That nonsense about "what coach would come here if we fired Buzz after one year?" is absolutely infuriating. Complete hogwash.

Thank you.

That nonsense about "what coach would come here if we fired Buzz after one year?" is absolutely infuriating. Complete hogwash.
How much pressure would there really be to following a guy who had the worst year in school history and has turned 90% of the fanbase apathetic? Nearly anybody would look better in comparison.

Things might get interesting with Missouri open. It's a comparable job and probably comparable money to GT. Mooney has been mentioned for both; it will be interesting to see what happens if they both go after him.

Really interested to see what coaches will have their contract expire or will be fired at the end of next two season. Im sure the 1st is online somewhere but it is depressing looking at these since were stuck with a bumble bee

Things might get interesting with Missouri open. It's a comparable job and probably comparable money to GT. Mooney has been mentioned for both; it will be interesting to see what happens if they both go after him.

From what people are saying hush, hush like ... Mooney passed on the BC job last year because the GT one was the one he was interested in (Hewitt dabbling with SJU at that time), and there's certainly very strong reciprocal interest. He already has recruiting ties to Atlanta, there's major corporate healthcare work for his wife in Atlanta, etc

I get the feeling that as long as neither party makes some outrageous demand at the last minute, Mooney will be at GT very shortly after Richmond is eliminated.

Per the Raleigh News & Observer Sean Miller has "declined to be interviewed" for the State coaching vacancy...

At least they aim high....

SBB says the GT job is Dayton's Brian Gregory's if he wants it. Now that Richmond is done, we'll see what happens.

Back