• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball coaching changes

Sports by Brooks put up a report saying Tech offered to Brian Gregory. Here was my post on DS about it...

So apparently there has been a lot of talk of Brian Gregory being offered by Tech. I still think that Tech will talk with both Mooney and/or Smart officially before offering the job to anyone. According to Sports by Brooks, the total staff salary is $1.5 million which is very low. Hewitt's assistants last year made $120, $94, $111 with the ops guy making $105. That doesn't include the assistant operations position there.

That all being said, SbB isn't the most reliable website, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I think Tech might have spoken to Gregory, but I don't think he has an offer on the table.

Also not on the other thread, but SBB also reported that Hewitt was safe the day before Hewitt was fired. RamblinRed who is very tapped into GT sports and especially the basketball side of things said that it was a false report as well.

I think he may have interviewed or at least has had discussions with Tech, as well as Doug Wojcik (not Dave who was asst. last year). I believe that Tech will talk to Mooney and Smart (when they lose) and then make their offers. I highly doubt that an offer is on the table to Gregory without Tech having an official interview with either of those two coaches.

Then again, I have been wrong before, but everyone who I have talked to about this tonight has told me that there isn't an offer to anyone yet.

Gregory would be a fairly uninspiring hire, IMHO. If I were a GT fan I'd much rather have Mooney or Smart than Gregory.

Matt Stewart is basically local sports. He could be right, but I think he is banking on the same report or the same sources. Every one I have talked to say that there isn't an offer on the table yet. Again, I could be wrong, but I have heard more insiders say no deal is done yet than the one that is saying its there. I still think Tech will talk to Mooney first before they offer Gregory.

Okay, so Goodman has confirmed it now. I can eat crow if I'm wrong. I still think it is a bad decision if they hire Gregory.

Were they just not patient enough to wait for Mooney or Smart or did those guys say they weren't interested?

My guess is that it came down to $. Rumors were that Tech is limited to spending $1.5 on the entire staff salaries. Also wonder if there is any pressure for Gregory to hire either Price or Neal on staff. Will find that out soon enough I guess.

Okay, so Goodman has confirmed it now. I can eat crow if I'm wrong. I still think it is a bad decision if they hire Gregory.

Agreed. I thought they had donors paying Hewitt's buyout so that salaries wouldn't be an issue.

Gregory's record at Dayton is uninspiring. Not at all comparable to Mooney's imho. I guess Mooney will either end-up staying at Richmond or will go to Missouri. I am sure Tennessee will be interested in him, but I don't think the interest will be mutual. I also think that Mooney will be very far down NC State's list due to his mid major background and use of a modified Princeton offense.

Last edited:
Hopefully Mooney simply stays at Richmond another year and two and waits for, oh I dunno, another (possible) coaching vacancy in a high-major conference.

I kid. Sort of.

Welcome to our world Georgia Tech fans.

No kidding. Tech insider board saying that the report is still false and that Mooney should be interviewing this weekend. Said that everyone is picking up and running with the same report. Will be interesting to see especially after Goodman reported it. He is one of the most reliable in college basketball, so if he picked up the same source then I would definitely wonder about that.

No kidding. Tech insider board saying that the report is still false and that Mooney should be interviewing this weekend. Said that everyone is picking up and running with the same report. Will be interesting to see especially after Goodman reported it. He is one of the most reliable in college basketball, so if he picked up the same source then I would definitely wonder about that.

Isn't Goodman the guy that first broke the Bz to Wake rumor?

Gregory would be pretty strange -- he's been on the hot seat at Dayton recently (don't think he's very well liked by most of their fans)

Hopefully Mooney simply stays at Richmond another year and two and waits for, oh I dunno, another (possible) coaching vacancy in a high-major conference.

I kid. Sort of.

This was the first thing I thought and I'm not kidding at all...

Mooney would be an absolutely incredible fit for WF imho. Wellman really screwed up if he didn't even consider him.

NCSU may be zeroing in on Shaka Smart.

NC State has an eye on VCU head coach Shaka Smart.

Multiple sources told WRAL on Saturday that Smart is a coach of interest for NC State. He was recently contacted by either the Parker search firm or by an NC State intermidiary to gauge his interest in coaching the Wolfpack.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncsu/story/9335273/

We should be so lucky as to have Tech hire Gregory.

NCSU may be zeroing in on Shaka Smart.

NC State has an eye on VCU head coach Shaka Smart.

Multiple sources told WRAL on Saturday that Smart is a coach of interest for NC State. He was recently contacted by either the Parker search firm or by an NC State intermidiary to gauge his interest in coaching the Wolfpack.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncsu/story/9335273/

I would be unbelievably pissed if State got Shaka..

Back