• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball coaching changes

Cuonzo Martin of Missouri State named new head coach at Tennessee.

We recruited him a bit at one point and he's from NC. I don't remember how good he is as a rebounder, but it's worth a look. I do know that he's hella athletic.

Wow...pretty shocking that Painter would leave his alma mater. What's the story here? Does Purdue not pay well or something?

Jacob Lawson does not strike me as a Buzz-type player.

I absolutely love Lawson's strengths section on his ESPN profile. You don't often see "crowd pleasing dunks of sheer aggressiveness" in an evaluation.

Strengths:
Lawson is a big, active player who seems to glide down the floor and is a freak in transition usually finishing with a dunking flourish. He has a great basketball body and motor. Defensively this active youngster blocks numerous shots and goes after every attempt causing many alterations and bad misses. He rebounds like a fiend and offensively converts many of those into crowd pleasing dunks of sheer aggressiveness.

The reporter is backing off, but there is apparently still motion.

This would be a huge coup and open a big job.

The reporter is backing off, but there is apparently still motion.

This would be a huge coup and open a big job.

With this much smoke there have definitely been serious conversations.

This would be a huge shock for Painter to leave Purdue for Mizzou. My guess is that he is playing Purdue for a big raise.

How will State screwup getting Smart to be their coach?

I'm hearing a lot has to do with the pay for Painter's assistants. Rumor is that Mizzou is going to give his assistants a cumulative $400,000 raise. I went over to the Purdue Rivals board and they are understandably upset. Everyone is blaming the AD.

Mizzou apparently also has incredible facilities. But, from the pictures I am finding online they don't seem any better than ours, though it is hard to tell. I suppose the selling point is probably that it's all under one roof, and the weight and training rooms are unique to the basketball teams.

I think Mizzou just built a new basketball-only arena within the last few years as well. I live in St. Louis and I laughed at a bunch of Mizzou people at work who mentioned Painter last week thinking there was no way he would leave Purdue. Will be a great hire if they can pull it off. I think Painter is a lot better than Mike Anderson.

Back