• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball coaching changes

It will be a bold statement about the changing landscape of college basketball if VCU and Richmond are able to hold on to Smart and Mooney but Purdue loses Painter. Especially after Butler was able to lock up Brad Stephens after last season....

Seems like Shaka Smart getting to the Final 4 lessens the likelihood of him taking the NCSU job. It's not an insignificant thing to switch jobs and he's positioning himself to be able to take a pretty elite job in a major conference. Whether he considers NCSU to be that type of destination job is up to him.

Seems like Shaka Smart getting to the Final 4 lessens the likelihood of him taking the NCSU job. It's not an insignificant thing to switch jobs and he's positioning himself to be able to take a pretty elite job in a major conference. Whether he considers NCSU to be that type of destination job is up to him.

He really hasn't done much at VCU outside of this 5 game stretch in the NCAAs, and his team shouldn't have even been in the tournament anyway. Maybe he's a good recruiter... we don't really know. Anthony Grant got all the kids who are playing now. He just screams one hit wonder to me. I don't think I'm alone in making that assessment of his career. I highly doubt there will be any elite (top 20 or so) type jobs that he'll be able to get, so he should probably take the NCSU job if they offer it to him.

Smart would be crazy to turn down NC State to wait on an "elite" job opening up. First, there is no elite job where an opening appears imminent. Second, success, especially at the mid-major level, can be fleeting. Smart looks like a genius now, but how is he going to look next year, when all of his seniors are gone and the year after, if he struggles to make the NCAA or worse? Kansas/Kentucky/UNC are not going to be beating down his door. He should cash in now. If he has continued success he can still be a candidate for better jobs down the road.

Those quotes from the VCU AD are very interesting. We're looking at a major change in the competitiveness of mid-majors. Ignore it at your own peril. I was listening to Cowherd the other day and he was saying that VCUs would be a regular thing. He even mentioned George Mason.

I don't think people realize that mid-majors in the Final Four two straight years and 3 of the last 6 years is a pretty big deal. If you want to include Memphis, that's 4 of the last 6 years.

This would be a huge shock for Painter to leave Purdue for Mizzou. My guess is that he is playing Purdue for a big raise.

I know it is a pipe dream - but Painter would be the perfect coach to come to WFU. I believe Painter is the best young coach in the country. There would be no Butler/Brad Stevens story if Robbie Hummel did not have the two devastating knee injuries in back to back seasons. Think Kyle Singler with a better 3 pt shot. I wonder if Ron ever called him? Or has he still not paid his phone bill since April 2010, since it seems that not many coaches were contacted at all. The disconnected phone line has to be the reason, right?
:confused:

If I'm Smart and I decide to make a move this year I'd go to Purdue for less money before I'd go to State....Personally, I hope he stays at VCU. I am enjoying the rise of the mid-majors and it gives me a little hope that if his success is sustained that Wake might be able to lure him away if/when [Redacted] doesn't work out...

He's insane if he leave's Florida for State. IN. SANE.

If this rumor is even true at all, it's because Billy D. is asking for a raise in Gainesville. It would be absolutely foolish of him to leave right before Brad Beal comes in next year.

Last edited:
He saw what Muschamp got without having won anything.

Donovan is already making $3.5m, supposedly the second highest paid coach in college basketball (behind Calipari). Can't be much left in that well (I mean the money is probably there, but perhaps not the willingness, especially after a couple of unsuccessful seasons).

If Billy Donovan leaves Florida for the NC State job then he is a HOF retard.

Donovan rumors have legs. That's all I'm saying.

Maybe they do... I haven't been following the NC State search. That said, he would still be a HOF retard to take the job. UF is a far superior job and no matter how bad his relationship with Foley is, he would have to work for the Chairman at NC State.

Back