• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball coaching changes

Okay so I have an update from looking at "Pack Insider":

"FACT: Donovan made/had contact with NC State.
FACT: Donovan went through back channels to learn more about the job/situation.
RUMOR: Donovan was in Raleigh on Tuesday (1 source + ESPN Radio – Disputed by numerous sources/ Likely false)"

*Source may or may not be valid*

Last edited:
Despite reports to the contrary Matt Painter will be remaining at Purdue as head coach. 5 minutes ago via Echofon Retweeted by 11 people

chrishaganfox59
Chris Hagan

Just curious as to who you think would be his rival for 3rd most important coach?

Is Wake in non 1-15 seasons an acceptable answer? I think (as an outsider I guess) that NC State is a slightly better job than Wake (although its close when you factor in the delusional fan base) but Wake can be and has been more relevant for stretches before.

I guess Painter is staying. Shaka to Mizzou? Get on the bandwagon people.

Jeff Goodman:
Purdue just let a news release fly: Matt Painter agreed to a new 8-year deal.

PackInsider apparently sent out a PM to all its subscribers totally and completely backtracking on the "Donovan was in Raleigh on Tuesday" nonsense. Apparently the current "list" begins and ends with Smart. Will be interesting to see if VCU can pony up enough to keep him in Richmond.

I think Gregg Marshall will be the next coach at State. Just a hunch.

Smart to Missouri.

Zach Galifinakis to NC State. He does have ties to NC.

PackInsider apparently sent out a PM to all its subscribers totally and completely backtracking on the "Donovan was in Raleigh on Tuesday" nonsense. Apparently the current "list" begins and ends with Smart. Will be interesting to see if VCU can pony up enough to keep him in Richmond.

It's amazing the legs of these rumors. For instance, someone posts the following: "Someone also recently tweeted they saw him at a restaurant in Wrightsville signing autographs."

That statement gets passed around and suddenly it is fact that Billy Donovan was in Wrightsville Beach yesterday.

Of course, when you actually go to twitter, which was the original source of that statement, there is no such tweet to be found. Perfect example of the madness.

I think he winds up at Mizzou. Comparable jobs in terms of quality, but Marshall is probably best served by staying close to where he has probably already developed some good recruiting connections. If State whiffs on Shaka (and its really not that unreasonable to think they could) then we have a full on Sid Lowe caliber search on our hands.

Honestly, I hope State hires Smart and that Marshall is still available SHOULD WF be in a position to hire a coach several years from now. My preference is (obviously) for [Redacted] to turn it around, but should he fail to do so, I'd much rather have Marshall available to hire as his replacement.

Then again, had Wellman considered Marshall a good fit for WF, why didn't he contact him this past spring? Regardless, I think Marshall would be a better and safer long-term hire and fit for State (or WF) than would Smart. Could definitely be wrong, of course.

Honestly, I hope State hires Smart and that Marshall is still available SHOULD WF be in a position to hire a coach several years from now. My preference is (obviously) for [Redacted] to turn it around, but should he fail to do so, I'd much rather have Marshall available to hire as his replacement.

Then again, had Wellman considered Marshall a good fit for WF, why didn't he contact him this past spring? Regardless, I think Marshall would be a better and safer long-term hire and fit for State (or WF) than would Smart. Could definitely be wrong, of course.

I think guys like Marshall who have been waiting for awhile to move up to a major job get a bit of a stigma attached to them. ADs might be a little hesitant to pull the trigger on them if the coach keeps getting passed over for jobs, they're probably wondering if other ADs see negatives that they aren't seeing. What results is the coach is constantly mentioned for top tier jobs but it takes longer than it should for him to move up.

Marshall was also at Winthrop for a long time so you have to assume he has strong recruiting ties in NC, SC, and Georgia as well....

You're not the first person to say that, but I can't think of any coach who has actually done it. There are coaches who have jumped from college to the NBA, but I can't think of a college coach who willingly took a worse job at another college simply because of a desire to have a "change of scenery."

Not saying it hasn't ever happened, I just can't think of one.

Really good point. I sort of threw that out there assuming there was evidence out there. When actually thinking about it, I can't come up with one either.

Sendek? GDO? Brownell? (From UNC Wilmington to Wright State)

Could argue Gary Williams going from Ohio State to Maryland.

I can give you one that is actually a clear step down. Tim O'Shea. Ohio to Bryant. Had a too-long contract at Ohio, wasn't really forced out though no one was sorry to see him go.

John Beilein?

Donnie Jones from Marshall to UCF? And Jones is a WV native.

Tubby Smith from Kentucky to Minnesota.

A lot of those are cases where the seat was getting plenty warm, but they weren't fired or forced to resign by the administration in any of them, I don't think.

Still, not very many and none analogous to the move Donovan would be making.

Most of those sound like cases were the coach knew his days were numbered and got out ahead of the "firing squad". Exception being Beilein but then Michigan is a better job than WVU.

Back