• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball coaching changes

If Painter leaves for Missouri, any chance Cuonzo Martin backs out of the Tennessee job and heads back to his alma mater? That could be interesting.

I think Mizzou just built a new basketball-only arena within the last few years as well. I live in St. Louis and I laughed at a bunch of Mizzou people at work who mentioned Painter last week thinking there was no way he would leave Purdue. Will be a great hire if they can pull it off. I think Painter is a lot better than Mike Anderson.

It opened in 2004.

If Painter leaves for Missouri, any chance Cuonzo Martin backs out of the Tennessee job and heads back to his alma mater? That could be interesting.

Painter and Martin are good friends so it seems like this is a possibility that they would have discussed.

Martin and Painter have the same agent. Rumor is that Cuonzo and the agent didn't think Purdue would call if Painter left and decided to jump at the Tennessee offer.

I would guess Purdue would throw its max offer at Stevens. Although, if they won't pony up to keep Painter, will they pay enough to attract Stevens?

I would guess Purdue would throw its max offer at Stevens. Although, if they won't pony up to keep Painter, will they pay enough to attract Stevens?

I don't think money is the issue here. I think he'll wait for an "elite" job to open up.

Jeff Goodman's twitter about NC St:
Sources told me that a coach in the A-10, Conference-USA and another one in the Big 12 have said "thanks, but no thanks" to NC State.
about 4 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone
This is in addition to Sean Miller & Rick Barnes

Jeff Goodman's twitter about NC St:
Sources told me that a coach in the A-10, Conference-USA and another one in the Big 12 have said "thanks, but no thanks" to NC State.
about 4 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone
This is in addition to Sean Miller & Rick Barnes

My guesses:
Mack, Pastner, and Turgeon.

Maybe Mooney instead of Mack, but I would be surprised. The other ones I am pretty confident about.

Huge coup for Mizzou to pick up Painter. Definitely a puzzling move on the surface and reason to assume that something else was going on behind the scenes to motivate the move.

Purdue is a pretty solid basketball job. It'll be interesting to see who they target.*

*Besides Stevens of course, whom I convinced will not leave Butler for anything besides IU.

Huge coup for Mizzou to pick up Painter. Definitely a puzzling move on the surface and reason to assume that something else was going on behind the scenes to motivate the move.

Purdue is a pretty solid basketball job. It'll be interesting to see who they target.*

*Besides Stevens of course, whom I convinced will not leave Butler for anything besides IU.

Plenty of people are refuting the Painter thing right now. I still think he ends up staying at Purdue (with a raise) when the dust settles and Mizzou will end up with someone like Gregg Marshall.

I've been telling my Mizzou friends they should go after Marshall since the rumors first came out about Anderson leaving. Obviously Painter would be a better hire, but if he stays at Purdue Marshall should get a call.

I don't think Stevens cares about money.

Whatever money the big boosters at Butler are spending, they're getting a very nice return.

I've been telling my Mizzou friends they should go after Marshall since the rumors first came out about Anderson leaving. Obviously Painter would be a better hire, but if he stays at Purdue Marshall should get a call.

Agreed. Marshall is long overdue for a shot at a big-time conference program.

My guesses:
Mack, Pastner, and Turgeon.

Maybe Mooney instead of Mack, but I would be surprised. The other ones I am pretty confident about.

Not sure about the other two, but I'm fairly certain the A-10 coach was Mack. I remember reading a report somewhere last week (before Richmond lost) that he had been contacted by State...

I don't think Stevens cares about money.

Right, that's what i'm saying. He's not going to bolt for a major conference job just because they're going to pay them. He's going to wait for one of the elite jobs to open up.

Not sure about the other two, but I'm fairly certain the A-10 coach was Mack. I remember reading a report somewhere last week (before Richmond lost) that he had been contacted by State...

Could have been Mack, Pastner and Rick Barnes. :)

Interesting all of these schools have filled position already with Shaka still in the dance.

Makes me think Shaka isn't going anywhere.

Interesting all of these schools have filled position already with Shaka still in the dance.

Makes me think Shaka isn't going anywhere.

From an Andy Katz article this morning:

VCU athletic director Norwood Teague has had a number of conversations with Smart about his career path, even before the run to the Sweet 16, Elite Eight and now Final Four.

"He values greatly how much we support his program, and we do more than a lot of high majors," Teague said Monday morning. "We want to this to be in the same fraternity as Xavier and Dayton, in these only basketball schools. Shaka values the basketball-only experience. It's a big deal, and he understands that."

Teague said he met with VCU president Michael Rao about being more aggressive.

"I don't think Shaka would just go for a money grab. He's not going to do that; I know people around him, and we're going to do all we can to keep him," Teague said. "After we won last night, I think he's more likely to stay. This is a different program now. This place will never be the same again."

Teague said Smart makes a base salary of $325,000 with bonuses that push him to $350,000. Incentives have already garnered him $500,000 so far this March. Teague said an annuity also pushes Smart past $500,000. He said Grant left VCU making a base salary of $750,000, before Smart was hired two years ago.

"We will be aggressive again," Teague said. "We couldn't pay what Alabama did [estimated at $1.8 million]. But for Shaka it's going to have to be a really good one. We're renovating the offices for the staff and assistants. We're putting in $4 million worth of club seating in the arena. It will be a big-time renovation. We're doing things. We're not just paying lip service."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/6265959/vcu-focused-keeping-shaka-smart

I also found this quote from VCU's AD interesting:

"Anything is possible, and I do think that we do things for our basketball program that are at a high-major level and our fan base is significant for a major metro area that would rival a lot of BCS conference teams," Teague said. "We charter a significant amount and I would think we charter more than half of the ACC. This can be a destination [job]. Our model has been to hire the top assistant in the country, and it has served us well. But things change. I'm looking at this differently to become a destination."

Back