• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Football Coaching Carousel (2014-15 Edition)

Pilch, do you remember any coaches making the leap from D-III to FBS? I can't think of any right offhand.

Not to FBS. More common from D-3 to FCS, particularly to the Ivies. When a coach wins like that, makes me wonder if the program is finding a way to get scholarship money (or other benefits) to its football players that the competition is not. Know many D-3 football players, and even at that level, star players get benefits that would destroy the reputation of D-3 as the way a college should run its athletics program.

Not to FBS. More common from D-3 to FCS, particularly to the Ivies. When a coach wins like that, makes me wonder if the program is finding a way to get scholarship money (or other benefits) to its football players that the competition is not. Know many D-3 football players, and even at that level, star players get benefits that would destroy the reputation of D-3 as the way a college should run its athletics program.

Makes sense. We think the talent difference from top to bottom is big in the P5, but it's massive at lower levels if coaches can figure out how to work the system.

It'll really come of if Venebles heads to TA&M as rumored.

I would imagine Swinney would end up with Ellis Johnson if Venables leaves- I'd rather have Johnson that Venables anyway. The question is who he can find to run he offense. I would imagine that Clemson might dump a truckload of cash at the front door of Lincoln Riley, but we will see.

Rumors are that Florida is sniffing around Chip Kelly to see if he would have any interest in leaving the NFL. While I don't see that happening, if it did, scary proposition to think what Kelly could do with the talent available in that state.

I would imagine Swinney would end up with Ellis Johnson if Venables leaves- I'd rather have Johnson that Venables anyway. The question is who he can find to run he offense. I would imagine that Clemson might dump a truckload of cash at the front door of Lincoln Riley, but we will see.

Seems like the type of year with enough dominos to fall for Riley to get a HC job if he wants it. Could be wrong though.

Butch Davis is available. . .just sayin'. . .

DickRod would be a good fit at Florida.

And I don't see Chip Kelly being that much more successful at UF than he was at Oregon.

And I don't see Chip Kelly being that much more successful at UF than he was at Oregon.

I think his system would work better with Southern/FL talent than it did with West Coast players, but he ain't COMIN to UF

RichRod is unlikely because of his record at mich and NCAA troubles

I think Clemson is planning on promoting Jeff Scott to OC- he is the son of Brad Scott.

Both the Arizona coaches--Dick Rod and Todd Graham--seem primed for bigger jobs. Graham especially hasn't been shy in the past about leaving a team (Pitt) quickly to hop to bigger and better things.

That is a strange statement. Kelly coached 4 years at Oregon. They won 3 Pac-10 titles, including their first Rose Bowl since 1995. They finished his 4 seasons ranked #11, #2, #4 and #2. He won the Pac-10/12 coach of the year twice. He played in 4 BCS bowls and one NC game. The national coach of the year once. His overall record at Oregon was 46-7; his conference record was 33-3. Pretty much impossible to be much more successful than that.

Last edited:
With Freeze extending his contract at Ole Miss, options become limited. Still can't believe that Dan Mullen and UF won't mend fences and make something happen. He'd be very good there.

There could very well be a change at the top with Al Golden. If that happens it's a two-man race for the job. Per my source it's Greg Schiano [as the front runner] and Mario Cristobal.
-- Jamie Newberg

That is a strange statement. Kelly coached 4 years at Oregon. They won 3 Pac-10 titles, including their first Rose Bowl since 1995. They finished his 4 seasons ranked #11, #2, #4 and #2. He won the Pac-10/12 coach of the year twice. He played in 4 BCS bowls and one NC game. The national coach of the year once. His overall record at Oregon was 46-7; his conference record was 33-3. Pretty much impossible to be much more successful than that.

Um, I agree with you???

Back