• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Football Coaching Carousel: Only Penn State Still Open

Starting early this year. New Mexico fired Mike Locksley a couple of weeks ago, and Arizona fired Mike Stoops yesterday:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ona-wildcats-fire-mike-stoops-coach-1-5-start

Stoops never got Arizona going and has been really bad the last couple of season. Kind of surprising since Arizona has some tradition. I'm sure he'll land as an assistant somewhere pretty quickly. New Mexico's struggles are a little surprising too, it seems not too long ago they had a decent program making bowl games pretty frequently.

Stoops blew his shot last year. They were 7-1 and lost their last 4 regular season games, including the unthinkable 2OT loss at home to ASU. Then got pasted in their bowl game, and had a murderous schedule to start the season.

When you looked it their schedules upcoming, at midseason last year it looked like either they could take a big step forward, or this could happen.

Their last 10 games have been at Stan, USC, at Oregon, ASU, vs. OkSt, vs. NAU, at OkSt, Stanford, Oregon, at USC.

Add in 10 returning starters from last year's team that wasn't good enough to beat Stan, USC, Oregon or ASU and it seemed unlikely they would be good enough this year.

40-50 straight for his career, unable to elevate the program past midtable status (27-37 in the league). He was fired as much for last year, IMO.

Tulane needs to get a big name coach to gear up for their move into the Big 12.

Bump

Illinois, UAB, Arizona (opened and filled), Arizona State, Kansas, Memphis now open.

We should all take a minute and reflect on the epic downward spiral that Zook led Illinois on this year. From 6-0 to 6-6? Amazing.

Wake started 5-2 and finished 6-6; I'm not taking a minute to reflect on anyone else's troubles.

Don't forget UNC and Ole Miss. UCLA's almost a guarantee to become open, too.

My guesses:
UCLA- Kevin Sumlin or Chris Peterson
UNC- Skip Holtz or Gus Malzahn
ASU- Mike Leach
Illinois- Butch Jones or Sumlin
Ole Miss- Larry Fedora or Hugh Freeze
Kansas- Brent Venables or Fedora

Last edited:
For all the talk about how Wake has declined since the Orange Bowl, at least we did not do what Kansas did. 2 years ago Gill was one of the hottest names in coaching (despite a less than stellar record at Buffalo) and now he is unemployed.

FSU DC Mark Stoops interviewing at KU although I doubt he gets the job with no HC experience. Probably a better fit somewhere like Memphis or UAB.

For all the talk about how Wake has declined since the Orange Bowl, at least we did not do what Kansas did. 2 years ago Gill was one of the hottest names in coaching (despite a less than stellar record at Buffalo) and now he is unemployed.

Yeah, I never got the hype around Gill, he had record at Buffalo a lot like our turd, the Edsall had at UConn, average.

Is this the year somebody hires Troy Callhoun away from Air Force? 5th straight year to a bowl game there. His name has been in the mix at Tennessee and Michigan the last 2 years, so it appears that he is at least interested if the job is a big enough one.

Penn State would be smart to take a look at him.

Is this the year somebody hires Troy Callhoun away from Air Force? 5th straight year to a bowl game there. His name has been in the mix at Tennessee and Michigan the last 2 years, so it appears that he is at least interested if the job is a big enough one.

Penn State would be smart to take a look at him.

I think that he has turned some big names down. Air Force is paying him pretty well, I think.

I didn't follow buffalo at all when he was there, so I can't really judge him, but his record there was absolutely stellar. The previous two coaches combined to win ten games in seven years -- Gill won 18 his final three.

FSU DC Mark Stoops interviewing at KU although I doubt he gets the job with no HC experience. Probably a better fit somewhere like Memphis or UAB.

I'm not sure why lack of head coach experience would bother a school like KU. Schools of their caliber make hires like that all the time if the coordinator comes from a prestigious staff.

Please dear God let Maryland be an active participant in this thread. :bowdown:

Maryland made a mistake with Edsall. They can correct that mistake by stealing Yabo Dabo away from Clemson. Dude can flat out recruit and the players love him, which would be a change in Maryland.....it would really upset me to see him go, but what are you gonna do?

I think that he has turned some big names down. Air Force is paying him pretty well, I think.

I think he was considered when we let Bowden go but wasn't interested. Could be misremembering, but one name that really wanted to come to Death Valley was Patterson......soooo happy we told him to go pound sand and hired Daaaaabo instead fuuuu

Back