• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College Football Coaching Carousel: Only Penn State Still Open

Just saw on Monday Night Football that he is the lead candidate for Tulane. He is the wide receivers coach for the Saints. Well, guess that means we may be stuck with Lob-hole.

I gotta think that being a WR coach on a pro team, especially the Saints, has got to be a better job than freaking Tulane.

UNC won't get any of their top guys. It's looking like Holtz, Mahlzan, James Franklin, Fedora, and Butch Jones are their top realistic choices.

Last edited:
I don't' follow Buffalo...at all really. But by their standards, his record was good but when I think of "stellar" I think of 8-9 wins.

Nonetheless, I'm surprised to see him do so poorly at Kansas and am a little surprised he did not get a third year. But, I don't follow Kansas football...probably some impatient donors had had enough.

Gill did what was once thought impossible: he made Kansas football even more of a joke and irrelevant to college football. This, despite donors, alumni, and casual fans putting more money and resources into the program than ever before. He was a spectacular failure. Kansas had to pay $6M to buyout the rest of Gill's contract; that tells you how badly they needed him gone.

I tend to think Mark Stoops will be the HC if he wants it. He has ties to the Kansas AD and has the pedigree and experience requisite at Kansas.

I can't wait to see where Leach lands and to see how much money he demands. Pretty much every school with an open HC position wants him.

ETA: You just know Maryland is going to stick with Rangoon for at least another year. Sucks for them.

Also, re: Sherman and aTm, I think it's kind of amazing he's still there. aTm seems to underachieve nearly every season. They've won one bowl game since the inception of the Big XII and have finished in the top 25 once in the last 10 years. Lost in the attractiveness of their state population and fertile recruiting ground is that they really haven't been a standout program.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people are talking more about Leach than Mangino. Mangino did a way better job than Leach. Leach is so overrated.

I don't understand why people are talking more about Leach than Mangino. Mangino did a way better job than Leach. Leach is so overrated.

Because Leach is an entertaining dude and Mangino isn't. That's pretty much it.

Mangino's player abuse issues are more severe and the health issues for Mango will always be there, but each coach took nothing programs and one won an Orange Bowl and the other was perennially successful. I think I'd rather have Mangino too, but his last season was pretty poor. Not good to go out on a note that sour.

Leach seems a lot like Rich Rod. I think Rich will do a great job at Zona.....you get Leach in at ASU or a similar school and I think it would be a great hire. Maryland would have been a great destination for Leach.

Because Leach is an entertaining dude and Mangino isn't. That's pretty much it.

Mangino's player abuse issues are more severe and the health issues for Mango will always be there, but each coach took nothing programs and one won an Orange Bowl and the other was perennially successful. I think I'd rather have Mangino too, but his last season was pretty poor. Not good to go out on a note that sour.

This is exactly why I believe Leach is overrated. Tech wasn't a nothing program before Leach arrived unlike Kansas. In fact the previous coach had a better Big 12 winning percentage than Leach did.

Sticking with my info I shared a couple months ago: Skip Holtz to UNC. Looks pretty realistic now eh?

This is exactly why I believe Leach is overrated. Tech wasn't a nothing program before Leach arrived unlike Kansas. In fact the previous coach had a better Big 12 winning percentage than Leach did.

Yeah, TT wasn't nearly on the same level of crap as Kansas, but Leach certainly elevated the program. As far as Dykes having a better record than Leach, the Big XII South while Dykes was there, wasn't anywhere close to where it is today. Baylor was the worst team in the league, aTm was good, UT was good, OU was struggling, OSU wasn't very good. People forget that the North carried the league early on.

It's just not a fair comparison.

Sticking with my info I shared a couple months ago: Skip Holtz to UNC. Looks pretty realistic now eh?

Realistic, yes. Likely, no. I think Skip is at bottom of pecking order, but that might be all they can get. I don't think Skip would last very long there.

Leach did a lot more for the TT program than Dykes did. Dykes was coaching TT when the SWC was on a downward spiral and the Big XII South was a joke. Leach coached when the Big XII South was the best division in the conference year after year and the best division in CFB for several of those years. Leach won 2 more games than Dykes in 23 fewer games coached. Not even much of a contest, really.

Mangino did well at KU and was run out of town for BS like Leach was. Concerns about his health are well founded and will be an impediment to him landing future gigs. However, in light of recent coaches fucking little boys, it would seem that yelling at players will be pretty low on the Coach Impediment List with upcoming hires. That would also include coaches falsely accused of locking players in closets.

Realistic, yes. Likely, no. I think Skip is at bottom of pecking order, but that might be all they can get. I don't think Skip would last very long there.

New UNC AD is close friends with the Holtz family. That's who he's touting.

Last edited:
New UNC AD is close friends with the Holtz program. That's who he's touting.

Guess we will see. I know their fans are totally against Holtz and he's fallen in pecking order. Butch Jones and James Franklin seem to be climbing.

Also, re: Sherman and aTm, I think it's kind of amazing he's still there. aTm seems to underachieve nearly every season. They've won one bowl game since the inception of the Big XII and have finished in the top 25 once in the last 10 years. Lost in the attractiveness of their state population and fertile recruiting ground is that they really haven't been a standout program.

The fans that pay enough attention to realize that a very talented offense is losing games despite its numbers, not the undermanned defense, want him gone. Some really do think the issue lies with the defensive coordinator which is just ridiculous given all the 3 and outs and turnovers Sherman's mind-achingly predictable offense creates in the second half. Pretty hard when you're down on talent and depth to frequently defend short fields.

TAMU performed about as expected last year, but only because they won as many games they weren't supposed to win as they lost games they weren't supposed to lose. This year has been hugely below expectations. The reality is that Baylor has had a better season than TAMU, and that should be a pretty tough pill for Ag fans to swallow once they fully comprehend it (especially once Baylor beats Texas).

Is Chris Peterson still visiting Chapel Hill this weekend with his family?

Just want to point out that this is the type of thread on which Kanhoji would have about 30 posts by now. He also would have made it abundantly clear that none of you have any idea what you're talking about.

UNC fans I talk to seem to think that they can get Franklin, Butch Jones, or Sumlin.

I don't want to see Franklin at UNC...

Supposedly Tulane has recommitted to football and is throwing around a good bit of money if they can land a big name - in somewhat similar fashion to what SMU did when they landed Jones.

With all the athletes in that area Leach could probably win some C-USA (or Alliance) championships at Tulane and not have to worry about any kind of stigma that might follow him at what is currently a higher profile job.

Despite Texas Tech's academic profile I think Leach also values graduating his players which also would be an important factor at Tulane I would think.

Back