• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Comparison of Coron Williams to CJ

Doggus

Reaction score
I know these comparisons caused some people to get upset a couple weeks ago (rightfully) but this is pretty impressive from a statistical standpoint and from an expectations one.

CW 12.1 pts, 2.3 reb, 1.2 ast, 0.6 stl, 0.2 blk, 45.1 FG%, 90.1 FT%, 2.8 3's/g, 43 3pt%, 0.1 TO

CJ 15.4 pts, 2.3 reb, 1.9 ast, 0.8 stl, 0.1 blk, 45.2 FG%, 84.7 FT%, 1.9 3's/g, 43 3pt%, 2.5 TO

Lets see how Coron holds up to the ACC (and solid competition in general) but to say he's been a decent replacement for what CJ gave us is an understatement. We'd be f'd without him.

Coron is a baller and i love how he has come in and accepted his role

I know these comparisons caused some people to get upset a couple weeks ago (rightfully) but this is pretty impressive from a statistical standpoint and from an expectations one.

CW 12.1 pts, 2.3 reb, 1.2 ast, 0.6 stl, 0.2 blk, 45.1 FG%, 90.1 FT%, 2.8 3's/g, 43 3pt%, 0.1 TO

CJ 15.4 pts, 2.3 reb, 1.9 ast, 0.8 stl, 0.1 blk, 45.2 FG%, 84.7 FT%, 1.9 3's/g, 43 3pt%, 2.5 TO

Lets see how Coron holds up to the ACC (and solid competition in general) but to say he's been a decent replacement for what CJ gave us is an understatement. We'd be f'd without him.

Actually looking at those stats and watching him play it's just an accurate statement. CMM's improvement and Coron's ability to give us 80% of CJ's stats have led to a slight overall upgrade to our backcourt. Our backcourt's not the problem though.

Better than CJ. Quicker Can't believe he doesn't start

Better than CJ. Quicker Can't believe he doesn't start
Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

waaaaaaaaaaaaay too soon!

Yup. Our schedule is still in the 180's and it's propped up by one have vs. Kansas as it was in the 300's before the tournament. We've played a lot of cupcakes so far. Way too early to know what he'll do in the meat of our schedule.

Coron plays 10 minutes per game less than CJ did. Could one of the advanced stats/KenPom guys post the offensive ratings for Coron and CJ?

Yup. Our schedule is still in the 180's and it's propped up by one have vs. Kansas as it was in the 300's before the tournament. We've played a lot of cupcakes so far. Way too early to know what he'll do in the meat of our schedule.

Our SOS is 330th according to Kenpom. Even with the Kansas game

I loved CJ Harris' heart and his devotion to MSD, but he was never a great bball player. CJ would have been about the 8th man on our really good teams. I'd take Taron over CJ, for instance, and neither player was good enough to lead a team to a great season as the focal point of the team.

I haven't seen Coron enough to make a judgement on him.

Coron plays 10 minutes per game less than CJ did. Could one of the advanced stats/KenPom guys post the offensive ratings for Coron and CJ?

Coron is 137.1, good for 48th in the country. CJ was 109.2, good for 493rd. Of course these numbers aren't really comparable. Four reasons: 1) The schedule..Coron's numbers should go down significantly once we start facing legitimate teams. 2) The role..easier to produce a high offense rating in fewer minutes, playing against back-ups. 3) Sophomore CMM is vastly better than freshman CMM. 4) CJ was pretty much our offense

I don't think there should really be any question that CJ is the better player. Could shoot the 3 as well as Coron, but was also very adept at getting into paint and creating contact (and often finished through that contact). A more well rounded player than Coron for sure. To me the Coron vs Chase Fischer comparison makes much more sense because they played more comparable roles. Of course Coron wins that one quite handedly.

I loved CJ Harris' heart and his devotion to MSD, but he was never a great bball player. CJ would have been about the 8th man on our really good teams. I'd take Taron over CJ, for instance, and neither player was good enough to lead a team to a great season as the focal point of the team.

I haven't seen Coron enough to make a judgement on him.

Agree with half of this. Taron never really got the chance to be the focal point of the team.

Also CJ would have been our 7th man on the 08-09 team and that would have been a great team.

Back