• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Comparison of Coron Williams to CJ

Coron is 137.1, good for 48th in the country. CJ was 109.2, good for 493rd. Of course these numbers aren't really comparable. Four reasons: 1) The schedule..Coron's numbers should go down significantly once we start facing legitimate teams. 2) The role..easier to produce a high offense rating in fewer minutes, playing against back-ups. 3) Sophomore CMM is vastly better than freshman CMM. 4) CJ was pretty much our offense

I don't think there should really be any question that CJ is the better player. Could shoot the 3 as well as Coron, but was also very adept at getting into paint and creating contact (and often finished through that contact). A more well rounded player than Coron for sure. To me the Coron vs Chase Fischer comparison makes much more sense because they played more comparable roles. Of course Coron wins that one quite handedly.

Thanks for the numbers. I've been very impressed with Coron so far.

Paterno%20816_0.jpg

Coron is 137.1, good for 48th in the country. CJ was 109.2, good for 493rd. Of course these numbers aren't really comparable. Four reasons: 1) The schedule..Coron's numbers should go down significantly once we start facing legitimate teams. 2) The role..easier to produce a high offense rating in fewer minutes, playing against back-ups. 3) Sophomore CMM is vastly better than freshman CMM. 4) CJ was pretty much our offense

I don't think there should really be any question that CJ is the better player. Could shoot the 3 as well as Coron, but was also very adept at getting into paint and creating contact (and often finished through that contact). A more well rounded player than Coron for sure. To me the Coron vs Chase Fischer comparison makes much more sense because they played more comparable roles. Of course Coron wins that one quite handedly.

This. They are completely different players filling different roles.

At its 3,000-seat arena, RMU beat Kentucky 59-57 last March in an NIT first-round game that was nationally televised.

“It was just an awesome feeling,” said Williams, who attended Monacan High for three years before two years at Christchurch School in Saluda. “The preparation, the energy before the game, seeing lines of people wanting to get in, and the game was ridiculous. The whole process captured me. I loved everything about it.”

After the season, Williams thought a lot about that atmosphere, and decided he wanted it on a regular basis.

D'OH! Facepalm

He might very well be...soon.

To do that, he is going to take minutes away from another player. This board might go ape shit when they see who that is.

We're going to sub out Thomas and go with an all guard/wing lineup!!!

Nah. But Travis might see his minutes decrease if he doesn't step up his game.

He's earning that demotion so far. Watching him "box out" from the zone is so painful. He actually winces and ducks away from contact at times. I think I paused and re-watched him in disbelief more times during the Atlantis tourney than any other player. I honestly wonder if he's just content to not get hurt, shoot some 3's, and collect easy rebounds. Cav has actually passed him in physicality already... How sad is that?

He's earning that demotion so far. Watching him "box out" from the zone is so painful. He actually winces and ducks away from contact at times. I think I paused and re-watched him in disbelief more times during the Atlantis tourney than any other player. I honestly wonder if he's just content to not get hurt, shoot some 3's, and collect easy rebounds. Cav has actually passed him in physicality already... How sad is that?

He's a good kid and he can hoop, but there is a real reason why he is not the team captain.

Cav is the hardest worker on the team. He put in more time during the off-season than anyone. His game has improved tremendously. He still needs strength, especially upper body, but he has come a long way from where he was at this time last year or even the end of last season.

Coron is great. Super kid, great attitude, realizes that he has nothing to lose by leaving it all on the court, every game. He is the kind of student-athlete that is very easy to cheer for. He has no fear. I hope he goes off vs. dook and the holes.

He's a good kid and he can hoop, but there is a real reason why he is not the team captain.

Cav is the hardest worker on the team. He put in more time during the off-season than anyone. His game has improved tremendously. He still needs strength, especially upper body, but he has come a long way from where he was at this time last year or even the end of last season.

Coron is great. Super kid, great attitude, realizes that he has nothing to lose by leaving it all on the court, every game. He is the kind of student-athlete that is very easy to cheer for. He has no fear. I hope he goes off vs. dook and the holes.

Yeah, it's easy to forget this team had some great success at home last year - hope Coron gets to enjoy some of that again this year.

I like Travis and want to root for the guy... But man. I think it was in the USC game where that kid dunked on us and then there was a subsequent free throw where Travis just made no effort at all to box out. On the dunk he literally made himself smaller and got out of the guy's way. If I saw that on one of my rec league teams I'd be pissed - he's got talent and size, maybe should have spent a few (hundred) more hours in the weight room but I just don't get it. Everyone plays for a shitty coach at some point in their career - but when it's game time though you play for your team - not your coaches.

He averaged over 16 and 7 as a sophomore - we all had him pegged for 18 and 10 as a senior no problem. Instead he's down in points, rebounds, field goal percentage - and mostly against cupcakes. Really hope he picks it up during conference play. NIT should be the floor for this team.

Better than CJ. Quicker Can't believe he doesn't start

Are you the one that 4+ years ago posted on the Scout Board, " This #11 (Tanner Price) is already better than the old #11 (Riley Skinner)" after the Duke game that year?

Yeah, it's easy to forget this team had some great success at home last year - hope Coron gets to enjoy some of that again this year.

I like Travis and want to root for the guy... But man. I think it was in the USC game where that kid dunked on us and then there was a subsequent free throw where Travis just made no effort at all to box out. On the dunk he literally made himself smaller and got out of the guy's way. If I saw that on one of my rec league teams I'd be pissed - he's got talent and size, maybe should have spent a few (hundred) more hours in the weight room but I just don't get it. Everyone plays for a shitty coach at some point in their career - but when it's game time though you play for your team - not your coaches.

He averaged over 16 and 7 as a sophomore - we all had him pegged for 18 and 10 as a senior no problem. Instead he's down in points, rebounds, field goal percentage - and mostly against cupcakes. Really hope he picks it up during conference play. NIT should be the floor for this team.

Most people don't play their entire college career under an abysmal coach.

I think its pretty accurate to say that Travis got an extremely raw deal. He signed up to be part of a top 10 recruiting class at a top 25 program. The coach he signed up to play for gets fired for no good reason and gets replaced by Mr. Rogers. Within two years the four other guys he signed up to play with are gone and he's won 21 games playing in front of an empty arena.

He thought about leaving after his sophomore year but was convinced to stay and in the process probably saved [Redacted]'s job (both by staying and helping us win more than 10 games last year). To cap it all off he gets snubbed (rightly or wrongly) for captain even though he is the lone senior.

It's also accurate to say that he hasn't made the best of his rotten situation. His frustration with his situation shows up in his effort and demeanor on the basketball court. He seems to have resigned himself to being a good stats/bad team guy who has become numb to the losing.

While some might find it hard to feel sorry for him (at some point the hand you are dealt is the hand you are dealt), I find it even harder to blame him.

You can tell Travis just hates [Redacted].

Coron and CJ are both pretty poor defensively.

Coron and CJ are both pretty poor defensively.

I think Coron is much better defensively than some here suggest. He is quick and smart, and I think he consistently plays better on the ball defense than anyone else on the team (at times Rountree plays really good defense, but other times he loses his man too easily).

Travis is not a very good ball player, when will everyone understand he got a free education at Wake Forest for being just average. He got a good deal if you ask me.

Travis is not a very good ball player, when will everyone understand he got a free education at Wake Forest for being just average. He got a good deal if you ask me.

Average makes him exceptional at Wake Forest these days. Hell, you don't even have to be close to average to earn over $1 million.

In sports, there are guys that take adversity and losing and use them as fuel to make them better.

Travis is not one of those guys.

He doesn't let getting boxed out by a guy with lesser talent motivate him to get 20 rebounds. He is the guy who will assign blame as to why he was boxed and how it was not his fault...and probably pout about it for a while...and while he may not be Bz's biggest fan, letting his personal feelings about his coach affect his game is selfish. Winners want to win, and it doesn't matter who they play for. Travis wears "Wake Forest" on his chest, not "Jeff [Redacted]". He plays basketball for Wake Forest. Bz is simply a coach (not the most desirable coach, but it is what it is and this is fact is not changing). He could have transferred if the latter bothered him to the point of underperforming.

I am not condemning the kid, because this is who he is, but you can't blame his drop in numbers entirely on his coach. At some point, Travis has to take ownership of his opportunity and make the best of his senior year.

Back