• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

If there are 2 mega conferences, I don't believe they invite anyone outside them for a title game, even if it is Notre Dame. Why legitimize these outsider leagues by actually playing them on the field? Its like the Current Power 5... they really don't want to bring in any outside school into the fold. The Power 2 will do the exact same thing.

If many teams are administratively denied access to a "national" championship, in many parts of the country it will not be considered a true national championship. Especially if one of the teams not allowed is ND.

The current system at least has the pretense of merit selection from over 100 college teams. Lots of colleges can try.

If many teams are administratively denied access to a "national" championship, in many parts of the country it will not be considered a true national championship. Especially if one of the teams not allowed is ND.

The current system at least has the pretense of merit selection from over 100 college teams. Lots of colleges can try.

Which would put college football back where it was decades ago. A solely regional sport with disputed national champions chosen by pollsters.

I agree. Just don't see the incentive from the SEC's perspective to conspire with the Big 10 to exclude all other schools across the country from competing in the CFP.

Under the current system, the SEC is #1, both financially and from a football standpoint. From a football standpoint, the Big 10 isn't even #2. Why would the SEC agree to work with the Big 10 to destroy the ACC (which would likely force ND into the Big 10), the revenants of the Big 12 , Pac 12 and the Group of Five conference schools, when those conferences are only a threat to the Big 10, but not the SEC? Let the Big 10 continue to struggle to get their one CFP bid a year.

Not beyond the realm of possibility that Big 10 football still sucks over the next decade even after adding UCLA and USC (who have also sucked recently). If the status quo is maintained, there is a reasonable likelihood that the Big 10 continues to sputter along while the SEC continues to rack up Natty's and multiple playoff berths. The current system is what led to the SEC's dominance.

Just don't see any reason why the SEC essentially legitimizes the Big 10, by accepting it as an peer, by partnering with it on a separate playoff system, which would be based on the assumption that the two conferences are equals. Think the more likely scenario is the SEC lets the current format continue, and if ND, Clemson, Cincy and other schools continue to take CFP bids from the Big 10. That is good for the SEC.

Last edited:
That certainly makes more sense. The SEC has already given the Big Ten a huge leg up with their bowl partnerships.

I agree. Just don't see the incentive from the SEC's perspective to conspire with the Big 10 to exclude all other schools across the country from competing in the CFP.

Under the current system, the SEC is #1, both financially and from a football standpoint. From a football standpoint, the Big 10 isn't even #2. Why would the SEC agree to work with the Big 10 to destroy the ACC (which would likely force ND into the Big 10), the revenants of the Big 12 , Pac 12 and the Group of Five conference schools, when those conferences are only a threat to the Big 10, but not the SEC? Let the Big 10 continue to struggle to get their one CFP bid a year.

Not beyond the realm of possibility that Big 10 football still sucks over the next decade even after adding UCLA and USC (who have also sucked recently). If the status quo is maintained, there is a reasonable likelihood that the Big 10 continues to sputter along while the SEC continues to rack up Natty's and multiple playoff berths. The current system is what led to the SEC's dominance.

Just don't see any reason why the SEC essentially legitimizes the Big 10, by accepting it as an pier, by partnering with it on a separate playoff system, which would be based on the assumption that the two conferences are equals. Think the more likely scenario is the SEC lets the current format continue, and if ND, Clemson, Cincy and other schools continue to take CFP bids from the Big 10. That is good for the SEC.
Excellent post

Agree with above and Alabama vs Ohio St every year is boring and validates little with other legit good teams out there.

The SEC is about three states. Texas, Florida, Georgia when it comes to ESPN. The pace of change in how we view media is accelerating at an unheard of pace. ESPN lost 10% of cable subscribers last year. The last cutters will be in states like Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. Because no rural internet in our fucked up country. If the ACC exercises patience and looks at long term demographic trends, and the huge change in how we view, we will be fine. I just refuse to believe ESPN is going to have $100 million per school in ten years.

Just don't see any reason why the SEC essentially legitimizes the Big 10, by accepting it as an pier, by partnering with it on a separate playoff system, which would be based on the assumption that the two conferences are equals. Think the more likely scenario is the SEC lets the current format continue, and if ND, Clemson, Cincy and other schools continue to take CFP bids from the Big 10. That is good for the SEC.

Agree with this as the likely SEC's mindset as long as it is able to push through playoff expansion with more bids going to (SEC) at large teams at the next opportunity. SEC could probably live with ND, Clemson, Oregon, and Baylor having easier routes to the playoff if it means that the SEC doesn't have to recognize the Big 10 as its equal.

But if playoff expansion (and specifically with at large teams) gets blocked again, SEC would probably be done with the current system and push for a 2-conference system (even if it legitimizes the big 10) to get better playoff access for its teams.

In that latter scenario where SEC/Big10 push to separate, I think the only question is how many teams do they think they need to bring into the fold so that nobody actually recognizes outsider claims to being the champion (i.e., UCF in the current system). It's probably just ND, Clemson, FSU, and Oregon... if that. Maybe just ND.

My tapped in - but incredibly biased - UNC friend just texted that he's hearing that the ACC has had discussions about "axing" Wake and BC from the ACC. He's usually incredibly reliable because he's basically best friends with Bubba Cunningham. They vacation together and talk almost daily. I guess he's just messing with me.

One thing the masses don't like is undefeated teams not getting a chance to play big time opponents in bowls. There would have been more of an outcry if UCF couldn't have played Auburn to get to 13-0.

If playoff expansion gets blocked, I think that's when the SEC would start their own tournament to generate more revenue and still try to push to get two teams into CFP.

I know football is the 500 pound gorilla. That said, if the SEC and Big 10 seceded from the CFP, what impact, if any, would excluding those conferences from March Madness have on the value of the media rights? Not sure this is even doable, or if CBS would have any interest in doing so, but is there any leverage in such an angle for members of the other conferences?

Agree with this as the likely SEC's mindset as long as it is able to push through playoff expansion with more bids going to (SEC) at large teams at the next opportunity. SEC could probably live with ND, Clemson, Oregon, and Baylor having easier routes to the playoff if it means that the SEC doesn't have to recognize the Big 10 as its equal.

But if playoff expansion (and specifically with at large teams) gets blocked again, SEC would probably be done with the current system and push for a 2-conference system (even if it legitimizes the big 10) to get better playoff access for its teams.

In that latter scenario where SEC/Big10 push to separate, I think the only question is how many teams do they think they need to bring into the fold so that nobody actually recognizes outsider claims to being the champion (i.e., UCF in the current system). It's probably just ND, Clemson, FSU, and Oregon... if that. Maybe just ND.

My uninformed opinion is that the SEC wants a one-conference system. If they haven't already tried picking off OSU, PSU, UM, they will. To date, all of their expansion has come from the B12. I don't doubt they would add an ACC team if it helps their brand (Clemson, UNC, ??), but they're not going to add members just to weaken the ACC or the PAC. To Pilchard's point, they want those conferences to be strong enough to help hold down the B1G so the SEC can overtake and eventually overwhelm them.

My tapped in - but incredibly biased - UNC friend just texted that he's hearing that the ACC has had discussions about "axing" Wake and BC from the ACC. He's usually incredibly reliable because he's basically best friends with Bubba Cunningham. They vacation together and talk almost daily. I guess he's just messing with me.

Unless it's to make room for a Stanford and ND, just don't see it.
A much more likely scenario is a few teams like UNC, FSU, Miami and Clemson do get poached to the BIG or SEC, in which case the remaining ACC schools go looking for teams like WVU, Navy, etc. to remain a viable conference.

That would make no sense whatsoever. For the ACC.

That would make no sense whatsoever. For the ACC.

Guitar has to know his friend is trolling him. He even raised that possibility. The Big 10 would be happy to add BC and the New England media market without having to fight the grant of rights. SEC would probably think about it too.

The Grant of Rights also protects teams from getting kicked out. And I agree that the Big Ten would take BC.

We might eventually be the only team left in the ACC, but they can’t kick us out.

The Grant of Rights also protects teams from getting kicked out. And I agree that the Big Ten would take BC.

They would take BC in a heartbeat if Notre Dame made it contingent to their joining.

guitardeac, no offense dude, but your info on this entire thread is :wtf:

Back