• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Why? That seems like a more viable connection to Florida than Miami

Miami is a decent red flag as well, but FSU could not be further from a B1G school culturally if they tried

Also there is a 0% chance ESPN lets two of their money makers go to FOX

The only way I could see ESPN renegotiating a deal is if they believe the Big Ten could legitimately poach ACC teams and they are willing to play ball to keep them. That could open up a better deal or funding for that merit bonus idea that seems to be the way to go.

Interesting that UNC and Duke weren’t listed.

The only way I could see ESPN renegotiating a deal is if they believe the Big Ten could legitimately poach ACC teams and they are willing to play ball to keep them. That could open up a better deal or funding for that merit bonus idea that seems to be the way to go.

Interesting that UNC and Duke weren’t listed.

Not sure why Duke would be listed? I could see unc and uva.

Here's a game: culturally, match each ACC to a rival conference. You decide whether slots are limited or unlimited.

Boston College
Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Miami
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Notre Dame
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Here's a game: culturally, match each ACC to a rival conference. You decide whether slots are limited or unlimited.

Boston College
Clemson- SCC
Duke
Florida State-SCC
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Miami-SCC
North Carolina- BIG
North Carolina State
Notre Dame-BIG
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Virginia-BIG
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

If not for the grant of rights, I think the above with the possible exception of ND would have already occurred. Again IMO but also based of about everything I've read from the folks who follow this stuff for a living, the remainder have limited options for or interest from the two "super" conferences.

Boston College
Clemson -SEC
Duke
Florida State - B1G
Georgia Tech - B1G
Louisville
Miami - SEC
North Carolina B1G
North Carolina State - SEC
Notre Dame - B1G
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Virginia B1G
Virginia Tech - SEC
Wake Forest

If the B1G is really trying to go coast to coast, you grab GaTech, UNC, UVA and FSU. SEC takes VaTech, Clemson and NC State to get the same territory. Everybody else is left to go play basketball against each other.

If the B1G is really trying to go coast to coast, you grab GaTech, UNC, UVA and FSU. SEC takes VaTech, Clemson and NC State to get the same territory. Everybody else is left to go play basketball against each other.

B1G should grab Clemson to fill the gap between Atlanta and Raleigh.

Boston College - B1G with ND for annual "Catholic Bowl," or Patriot (small, regional Catholic school takes a huge step back), or Independent
Clemson - SEC
Duke - B1G
Florida State - SEC or Big 12 if UF won't let them in
Georgia Tech - B1G
Louisville - CUSA
Miami - B1G wants in FL
North Carolina - B1G
North Carolina State - SEC (the Pack strut, but they're the new Miss St/Missouri/Arkansas)
Notre Dame - B1G (time to forgive past wrongs)
Pittsburgh - MAC (regional fit, pro sports town so take a step back)
Syracuse - MAC (same as Pitt. Both could go Big 12 to pair with WVa)
Virginia - B1G
Virginia Tech - hard for me to place. SEC (see NCSU. SEC wants in Va, too), or Big 12 for WVa rivalry and if SEC won't take them. If Beamer memories fade, they go fall to G5.
Wake Forest - Independent by elimination. Could be Vandy pt 2 in SEC, NW pt 2 in B1G. In CUSA with UNCC as new rival, Rice as academic peer. American with ECU as rival, Tulane/Navy for academics. Fellow independents are Army, BYU, Liberty, New Mex, UConn, UMass. Our home schedule become Indy and G5 loaded with away games with P4 not afraid to play us.

OK, so, the SEC adds OU and Texas. Two of the biggest brands in college football.

The Big 10 adds USC and UCLA to secure the media rights to the biggest state in the U.S. (40 million people).

Sorry, but those conferences have less than zero interest in BC, NC State, VT, Duke, or GT. They may not have an interest in any ACC school, but to whatever interest they have will be limited to a small pool of schools.

Last edited:
OK, so, the SEC adds OU and Texas. Two of the biggest brands in college football.

The Big 10 adds USC and UCLA to secure the media rights to the big state in the U.S. (40 million people).

Sorry, but those conferences have less than zero interest in BC, NC State, VT, Duke, or GT. They may not have an interest in any ACC school, but to whatever interest they have will be limited to a small pool of schools.

This is true- only schools that they would be interested in would be Clemson, FSU, UNC, UVA, and Miami in that order IMO. UNC and UVA are tricky due to Duke, State, and VT relationships. Only 3 that don’t have political implications for leaving are Clemson, FSU, and Miami. I honestly could care less if Miami leaves- trash school and trash fans in my experience. Clemson and FSU I would like to stay- especially Clemson.

Can someone explain to me how the Big 10 is the superior conference when all its shit takes place in fucking Indianapolis, which, if you're to believe sportswriter Twitter is home to exactly one restaurant? A steakhouse most famous not for its steaks but for serving shrimp hundreds and hundreds of miles from the nearest coast.

Put another way, do you know why the ACC has lower media rights deals than the SEC and Big 10? At least partially, because the membership includes schools like BC, VT, GT, Pitt, Duke, NC State, WF... Schools in limited media market and/or schools with a limited fanbase. Yes, GT is in Atlanta, but UGA controls the attention in that state. BC is in Boston, but New England doesn't GAF about BC sports.

Why would the Big 10 or SEC want to dilute their current deals by adding schools that don't add big chunks of fans or exponentially increase media rights leverage? Those conference have enough dead-weight schools as it is (Vandy, Northwestern, Purdue, Mississippi State, Arkansas).

Everything is good for those conferences now. So, to add a school, it has to be a homerun.

At this point, the formula to add a school is simple:

a) Massive media footprint (USC, UCLA in California; Texas in Texas)
b) National following: Notre Dame

Of the schools/regions not covered by the SEC and Big 10 the pickings are slim:

- Northwest US (Washington/Oregon)
- Maybe Northern California (Cal/Stanford)
- Florida for the Big 10 only (Miami and/or FSU)
- Possibly the Carolinas for either the Big 10 or SEC (which means UNC and Clemson - Clemson football also may qualify as a national brand at this point)

That is it, and not sure how much any of those schools would really add to current deals for the Big 10 or the SEC. Also, as mentioned above, ND has a better deal as a football independent.

Even though UGA "controls" the state, by having Atlanta based GaTech as part of the conference footprint, the B1G could charge Cable subscribers all over the state of Georgia the higher rate for " in conference area."

Can someone explain to me how the Big 10 is the superior conference when all its shit takes place in fucking Indianapolis, which, if you're to believe sportswriter Twitter is home to exactly one restaurant? A steakhouse most famous not for its steaks but for serving shrimp hundreds and hundreds of miles from the nearest coast.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but I was in Indianapolis for the National Championship game back in January, and that place is cold and it sucks.

Even though UGA "controls" the state, by having Atlanta based GaTech as part of the conference footprint, the B1G could charge Cable subscribers all over the state of Georgia the higher rate for " in conference area."

Maybe. With that said, the ACC has had GT as a member for 40 years, and the SEC still dominates Atlanta and GA. Despite having more than 6 million people in Atlanta, GT struggles to get more than 35K at its football games (not counting when they host UGA or Clemson). Who knows if cable TV is even around when the next round of expansion kicks in, but just don't see a lot of interest in Atlanta or in the State of Georgia for GT v. Illinois or GT v. Purdue. Just because a school is located in an a large metropolitan area does not mean that adding them brings revenue to the conference. SMU and TCU are located in Dallas/Fort Worth, but the commodities that deliver that TV market are Texas and Texas A&M. Georgia State is in Atlanta too, but they are not coveted by Power Conferences.

Last edited:

Forcing people to pay for something they don't want or need is not the greatest business model, especially when there are other options out there.

Back