• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I was only there 24 hours and ate at the airport, the tailgate (indoors), and the game.

Markets aren't as important as eyeballs - everyone is cord cutting right now, so you need large fan bases that are going to pay to subscribe to whatever streaming service your team winds up on. The simple fact of the matter is that BC and Georgia Tech do not attract enough eyeballs to warrant their inclusion in the Big Ten, despite the fact that they exist in large markets.

Andy Staples looked at the rating for games from 2015-2021 (excluding 2020 for obvious reasons) that didn't involve a Big Ten team, an SEC team, or Notre Dame, only 8 programs currently in Power 5 conference had fewer games that drew 1M viewers than Wake Forest - two of those teams are Boston College and Georgia Tech (Iowa St, Arizona, Duke, Kansas St, Oregon St, and Kansas are the others).

If the SEC and the B1G separate themselves from the present P5, I doubt there will be a high demand for ACC teams to join them. With 14 schools, the ACC would likely remain intact, minus any defectors. Those that remain would still constitute a competitive football conference and an excellent basketball conference. There would be strength in secondary sports as well. I think Wake Forest remains a member of the ACC, regardless of the changes that could come.

Can someone explain to me how the Big 10 is the superior conference when all its shit takes place in fucking Indianapolis, which, if you're to believe sportswriter Twitter is home to exactly one restaurant? A steakhouse most famous not for its steaks but for serving shrimp hundreds and hundreds of miles from the nearest coast.

That is easily solved by moving the headquarters to Chicago. Plenty of everything for anybody. It even has a beach.

Just please no more Yankeeface schools in the ACC, I do not give a F about playing any of them.

Last edited:
That is easily solved by moving the headquarters to Chicago. Plenty of everything for anybody. It even has a beach.

The Big Ten headquarters is in Rosemont, IL, which is the suburb between Chicago proper and O'Hare - the Big Ten holds their football title game in Indy because it is centrally located and has a domed football stadium. They will likely move the championship game once the Arlington Heights Bears complete their stadium.

B1G fans -- talk about how they'd crush the SEC in playoff games played in the cold and snow.

B1G -- plays championship game indoors.

Read something that made even the so called "nuclear option" of breaking up the ACC as a way out of the GoR less doable. The analysis was based on the publicly available Big12 GoR and Bylaws.

In short, a school wanting to withdraw can be deemed no longer a "disinterested party" in that particular matter and can be excluded from voting on it by the "disinterested" schools. And the disinterested schools can deem a school to be "interested" based on media reports etc. and exclude them from voting on a particular matter.

Texas and Oklahoma havent figured out how to leave the Big 12 early. Provisions similar to those should help keep the ACC intact until 2036.

B1G fans -- talk about how they'd crush the SEC in playoff games played in the cold and snow.

B1G -- plays championship game indoors.

Plays their signature bowl game in Southern California, but soon to be the home field of a conference member

I wonder if Gavin Newsome blocks the move for UCLA. He definitely does not seem to like that UCLA is leaving to the detriment of Cal-Berkley.

I wonder if Gavin Newsome blocks the move for UCLA. He definitely does not seem to like that UCLA is leaving to the detriment of Cal-Berkley.

I am surprised there aren't lawsuits regarding UCLA failure to comply with California open meetings laws.

This is why conference realignment matters:

What is the future of college football? Over 200 coaches, players and administrators respond

Nearly 80% of respondents believe schools will pay athletes directly within the next decade. Nearly 75% think the sport will eventually follow some sort of professional model, perhaps with schools forming conferences based on their willingness to pay players. And virtually everyone (98%) thinks more realignment is in store -- sooner than later.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34307234/what-future-college-football-200-coaches-players-administrators-respond

Campbell leaving the Big South and moving to the CAA in 2023. Butterfly effect.

Not mentioned as part of the "professional/pay-for-play/employee" model that most think we're heading towards, will be the elimination of years of eligibility So whereas a former college bb player who did not make the NBA can carve out a multi-year career in the G-League or overseas, a decent college player who doesn't make the NFL will be able to play college fb until he's in his 30's.

Let’s all not forget this is all Texas’ fault. They got that stupid Longhorn Network which pissed off Nebraska so much they left the Big XII. Everything fell apart after that. Now the default Rose Bowl will be played before Halloween. Fucking Texas.

and fuck the Rose Bowl for fucking up the playoff schedule so we can't have them on NYD as we should.

Back