• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

He won’t be here forever ?? Are you sure Biff ?? God I’m so glad you told me that !!

Dave Clawson makes less than his peers and his assistant coaches make less than their peers. If you have a good staff, it's very difficult to keep it together, especially in the case of spiraling coaching salaries. But LK is right, the threat of becoming a farm team is very real and Clawson can't prevent it if the ACC and WFU can't come up with the money to keep players in the program.

College sports is suffering death by paper cuts. I can't tell you which one will be the fatal blow, but I can tell you it's dying.

We are about to become a farm team for bigger schools.

If we weren’t a farm team during the wait a year transfer and we weren’t a farm team during grad transfer and we weren’t a farm team during one unconditional transfer, we aren’t going to be a farm team under this rule.

College sports are changing. I don’t know if they’re done. With real leadership, these changes wouldn’t be a shock to a system. Unfortunately, the leaders are just cashing checks instead of developing a long term vision for college athletics.

Dave Clawson makes less than his peers and his assistant coaches make less than their peers. If you have a good staff, it's very difficult to keep it together, especially in the case of spiraling coaching salaries. But LK is right, the threat of becoming a farm team is very real and Clawson can't prevent it if the ACC and WFU can't come up with the money to keep players in the program.

Legit question: how do you know he’s making less than his peers? We honestly have no idea what he makes or how the money is structured. He could be make $4 mil + easy.

If we weren’t a farm team during the wait a year transfer and we weren’t a farm team during grad transfer and we weren’t a farm team during one unconditional transfer, we aren’t going to be a farm team under this rule.

College sports are changing. I don’t know if they’re done. With real leadership, these changes wouldn’t be a shock to a system. Unfortunately, the leaders are just cashing checks instead of developing a long term vision for college athletics.

We've had two years of the transfer portal and a year of NIL. I'd say things will start to look very different in 6-7 years with the haves and have nots. It's going to be very hard to develop a 3 star kid into a 4 star kid and not see him go off to bigger and brighter lights knowing that he will get some NIL money and that his credits from Wake Forest will have no problem transferring to a football factory school.

We've had two years of the transfer portal and a year of NIL. I'd say things will start to look very different in 6-7 years with the haves and have nots. It's going to be very hard to develop a 3 star kid into a 4 star kid and not see him go off to bigger and brighter lights knowing that he will get some NIL money and that his credits from Wake Forest will have no problem transferring to a football factory school.

Don’t disagree with this but we also have NIL money now at LOWF flowing to our guys. I’m not naive enough to believe it’s as much as big boy programs but we’re doing it too. We’re also benefiting from getting guys to come here from smaller schools- Miles Fox and Kobie Turner or big time programs that didn’t play - Christian Turner. Those big interior DL that can take a take a double team are once in a generation for us but because of portal - we can get a guy who didn’t academically qualify for WF and went to smaller school, worked hard, grew a few inches, and added 50 lbs. It’s not like we don’t have tools to compete ourselves - obviously on a smaller scale - but it’s no different trying to out recruit kids from schools 6/7x our size.

College sports is suffering death by paper cuts. I can't tell you which one will be the fatal blow, but I can tell you it's dying.

Honestly don't know: does the NCAA still have any academic eligibility criteria, i.e. a certain number of credit hours, minimum GPA, etc., or do they leave that up to the school to determine if an athlete is eligible? I can't tell you the last time I recall a top player being unable to play b/c of academic ineligibility, which used to be a "thing" that occurred on the regular.
I do think we'll see the day when players will have the option to enroll as a student of the college, or if they choose to can be a player only without ever registering for or attending a single class.

We are about to become a farm team for bigger schools.

Remind me how many players line up each snap? That’s right. Only 11 so big fish small pond or small fish in big pond. Players want to play and develop and be seen. The gloom will not doom us.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...aa-allows-players-to-transfer-multiple-times/

NCAA is going to allow players to transfer as many times as they want, no waivers required.

I said earlier on this thread, and without anticipating this change, that we are about to see the big boys back off all but the can’t miss high school recruits. Much better for the rooster to load up with rising juniors at the key positions of need for that team. The pitch to high schoolers will be we can get you to Alabama as an example. Some schools will become pipelines for certain of the big schools.

Former Ohio State assistant now a head coach at a Mac school for example, he will be feeding OSU. Heck the Ohio State coaches will be telling kids, go to Miami Ohio for 2 seasons, put on 25 pounds and get some playing time. Stay in touch and there will be a spot for your here in 2 years. Good chance you will be catching balls from the top QB in your class. He is going to Marshall but will be joining us most likely if he keeps progressing.

Universities have always had the option to depending on admitting transfers and only a few systems have done it. If the University of Ohio wants to be JV for tOSU, that’s their decision and it could help recruiting.

I am somewhat concerned that no limit on transfers hurts Forbes after some of his guys with 3 years of eligibility show out this year. He would refill the holes via transfer in the offseason but I was excited to have the bulk of these guys around for 3 more years together and get some serious consistency on the roster....though I guess if they really show out they take the Jake route and aren't headed to Kentucky or Duke

Last edited:
I said earlier on this thread, and without anticipating this change, that we are about to see the big boys back off all but the can’t miss high school recruits. Much better for the rooster to load up with rising juniors at the key positions of need for that team. The pitch to high schoolers will be we can get you to Alabama as an example. Some schools will become pipelines for certain of the big schools.

Former Ohio State assistant now a head coach at a Mac school for example, he will be feeding OSU. Heck the Ohio State coaches will be telling kids, go to Miami Ohio for 2 seasons, put on 25 pounds and get some playing time. Stay in touch and there will be a spot for your here in 2 years. Good chance you will be catching balls from the top QB in your class. He is going to Marshall but will be joining us most likely if he keeps progressing.

I read an article this week that stated the MAC was the most stable football conference in the US right now: very regional footprint that no school wants to join or leave (or has any better option to leave for), recruiting footprint very much within driving distance of the campus, and no school in the conference spending crazy $$ that puts them head and shoulders against the others. So basically they're not concerned with what the "big boys" are doing to try and stay relevant; they'll take their 2 games on Tuesday/Wednesday and the rest on 1:30 p.m. on Saturdays and be fine.

Also nobody wants MAC teams.

Legit question: how do you know he’s making less than his peers? We honestly have no idea what he makes or how the money is structured. He could be make $4 mil + easy.

I’m relying on media reports that state 3.6 million.

I’m relying on media reports that state 3.6 million.

According to recent NBC report

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/college-football-head-coach-salaries-kirby-smart-2022-new-contract

Clawson at $3.6 million is making more than the average salary in every P5 conference except the SEC. So he is likely making more than average. Perception is skewed by the big numbers that get reported for the National championship contenders/winners (Kirby Smart, Nick Saban et al) and the "Wanna bes" (Jimbo Fischer, Brian Kelly et al). Everybody else in P5 is making less and Clawson's number would be competitive with them.

Because the slow mesh RPO is considered a "gimmick" offense by many, Clawson is considered by many to be a little less desirable as a head coach than somebody who runs a more conventional offense. So I don't see him as a candidate to be poached. Not many schools are paying more than Wake. Not many of those would want the slow mesh RPO. Would Clawson change his offense? I don't know. He probably would for $10 million.

Tell Pat Narduzzi that the ACC isn't in danger of becoming a farm system for the larger programs.

Back