• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Here are the last 21 Champions by conference:

ACC: 8
Big East: 5
SEC: 3
Big 12: 3
AAC: 1
Big 10: 0

If you want to claim that the Big 10 has performed up to its purported reputation, go right ahead. Again, the context is that the Big 10 has an advantage over all others because of its revenues. The results say otherwise.

Good post and I agree. The Big 10 gets hyped up a lot and I haven't seen much to support why. The NCAAT this year is a good example of how damaging that can be to conferences like the ACC and especially schools like Wake. How many Big 10 teams got into the NCAAT again...nine? Give me a break.

surprising that a KP devotee such as yourself runs down B1G basketball in that way

they have, no question, underachieved in the NCAA tournament, but KP has rated that conference #1 5 of the last 12 years, including 2 of the last 3 (the Big XII has been #1 7 of the last 12 and 8 of the last 13; the SEC and ACC have combined for zero top ratings from KP over the last 15 years)

If you want to claim that the Big 10 has performed up to its purported reputation, go right ahead. Again, the context is that the Big 10 has an advantage over all others because of its revenues. The results say otherwise.

I...don't want to say that, and in fact said the opposite. But if they are at worst the #2 conference in the country in Final 4 appearances over the last 10 years, last 20 years, and last 30 years, it would seem they are somewhere ahead of "laughable"

B1G revenue is expected to double according to the report Biff linked a while ago. I haven't audited the report. So, it would seem logical to expect their results to improve.

PH

I propose that they might
If the GOR is iron clad and there is no concern of anyone leaving then I would agree, but (again, not following super closely) its seems like it's not iron clad or at least there are other pastures that might be green enough to entice ACC members into breaking out and paying the exit fee. So if that was the case, it might be in ESPN's interest to up the ante and close the money gap (of course they'd want more assurances, re higher exit fees, which the ACC teams would have to agree to) as a broken ACC isn't a great deal for ESPN

You're not following super closely, so you have probably missed that the GOR seems iron clad. A team has to pay more than an exit fee to go to another conference. They have to forfeit their media rights $$$ until 2036.

Just google ACC grant of rights. There are plenty of explanations.

By all accounts GOR is iron clad... For now. Each year, the GOR penalty lessens and each year the gap between the ACC per team revenue and the SEC/Big 10 per team grows. At some point for a few ACC teams, there will be a tipping point when the GOR penalty won't outweigh the benefit of leaving the ACC for a cash flush conference. The ACC has time to figure out how to stay relevant (trying to read between the lines of today's ACC Commish presser; sounds like the plan involves ND; we shall see), but the clock is ticking.

Think the ACC/ND have indications that NBC (and possibly others) are willing to open their checkbook for ND football rights. If so, that would keep ND aligned with the ACC for awhile. Maybe, the ACC will get ND to increase the number of games against ACC teams from the current 5 for a revenue bump.

How much does the ACC get for those 5 games right now?

It is definitely annoying that the ACC is good, maybe the best, at a bunch of different sports (basketball, baseball, soccer, etc), but it’s all about football. As someone who generally prefers the other sports, it sucks.

By all accounts GOR is iron clad... For now. Each year, the GOR penalty lessens and each year the gap between the ACC per team revenue and the SEC/Big 10 per team grows. At some point for a few ACC teams, there will be a tipping point when the GOR penalty won't outweigh the benefit of leaving the ACC for a cash flush conference. The ACC has time to figure out how to stay relevant (trying to read between the lines of today's ACC Commish presser; sounds like the plan involves ND; we shall see), but the clock is ticking.

Think the ACC/ND have indications that NBC (and possibly others) are willing to open their checkbook for ND football rights. If so, that would keep ND aligned with the ACC for awhile. Maybe, the ACC will get ND to increase the number of games against ACC teams from the current 5 for a revenue bump.

Yeah, it gets to the question of how long are you going to allow your athletic department to operate with a budget that's half of what 32 schools you believe you compete against spend. Sure, the ACC can stay together for several years, but if it cannibalizes it's own member institutions athletic departments, then it's just a matter of time before the whole thing implodes.

I am not sure the mega-conferences won't implode. The Arkansas football coach was complaining today about having the hardest schedule in the nation. My response is "get used to it." Football is a zero sum game, and the SEC just added Texas and Oklahoma. They need Arkansas to lose to them, and Bama, and LSU, and Georgia... Arkansas can manage to win win a couple versus the Mississippi schools, Mizzou, Vandy, Kentucky. They will be marginalized but well paid. How long will they, and their fans, accept that role?

The future will be the SEC arguing that their .500 teams deserve a play-off spot bc of strength of schedule.

I am not sure the mega-conferences won't implode. The Arkansas football coach was complaining today about having the hardest schedule in the nation. My response is "get used to it." Football is a zero sum game, and the SEC just added Texas and Oklahoma. They need Arkansas to lose to them, and Bama, and LSU, and Georgia... Arkansas can manage to win win a couple versus the Mississippi schools, Mizzou, Vandy, Kentucky. They will be marginalized but well paid. How long will they, and their fans, accept that role?

The future will be the SEC arguing that their .500 teams deserve a play-off spot bc of strength of schedule.

Or they subdivide into divisions, then launch multiple division champs straight into a playoff.

Clawson had plenty to say about the prospects of an ACC merit based revenue sharing plan.
https://theathletic.com/3438706/2022/07/20/jim-phillips-acc-realignment-tv-deal/

“If it’s based on merits and investment, we’ll be in great shape,” Wake Forest coach Dave Clawson told reporters. “Name another football program that has invested more in the last four or five years than we have. We’ve spent more than $100 million in football facilities in the last four or five years. If you take out the COVID season — which not everybody played the same number of games nor had the same opportunity to play — we have the second-most wins in the ACC the last five seasons. If it’s based on the product, the investment level and the commitment to football, we should be in great shape.
“Now I’m not the person in charge of saying those are the qualifications. But as an institution, we can only control our investment level and our commitment level. You’d have a really hard time saying right now that Wake Forest isn’t all-in on football. The results speak for themselves. When national media members come and visit our facilities, they’re in shock. I think we’re competitive with anybody in the league. We’ve invested. Our university president, Susan Wente, our athletic director John Currie and our board of trustees, we’re all in. Our success, to me, is not an accident.”
Wake Forest’s market reach as the smallest Power 5 school in the country can’t be ignored, though, which is why the Demon Deacons, like many others here Wednesday, were seemingly left to verbally justify the validation of a conference that has won the second-most national titles and earned the second-most Playoff berths in the CFP era.

If Phillips is as tight with Swarbrick at ND as he says he is, THE TIME IS NOW! :thumbsup:

Just saw that Clawson quote. He seems to knock it out of the park with these types of statements every single time. I hope he is coach for the next 20 years here.

Clawson certainly talks like Wake is the #2 program in the ACC.

Clawson certainly talks like Wake is the #2 program in the ACC.

I look forward to the demonstration of that not just the last 5 years excluding the Covid year but for the next decade.
I trust he has the mindset to target #1 status in the conference. I sure hope the mindset of the players is focused on winning at that level.

He might be the most important hire in the history of WF Athletics depending on how the next decade of conference realignment works out.

It's true. Imagine what it would feel like to be in a relatively unsuccessful place and/or looking for a new coach right now. In this conference environment. We MUST keep him.

It's true. Imagine what it would feel like to be in a relatively unsuccessful place and/or looking for a new coach right now. In this conference environment. We MUST keep him.

I don't think that Clawson would be a target of a true blue blood program and I struggle to see the bottom feeder B10 and SEC schools ever being more than a highly paid version of the Washington Generals. There's something to be said for aiming to be the "best of the rest" as opposed to Arkansas or Rutgers.

Back