• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Totally agree that his arrival was a seminal moment in our history. I think we need to keep him just so that whoever we play moving forward will always be facing a very well coached and competitive team that we love to root for.

Unfortunately I don’t think our success or lack thereof have any bearing on our future conference affiliation. We’re going to be ranked in the top 25 but there isn’t one projection anywhere that legitimately has us be a part of the Next Big Conference Thing. Our best hope is for the ACC to hold together but our success in football has no bearing on that.

Clawson is the first coach we’ve had in a major sport to consistently talk like a winner without the aw shucks, excuse making, or blaming players for program issues. Clawson expects to win.

Clawson is the first coach we�ve had in a major sport to consistently talk like a winner without the aw shucks, excuse making, or blaming players for program issues. Clawson expects to win.

Agreed- It is the anti-LOWF that we lived under Odom and Grobe to some extent. Prosser was not perfect but felt like LOWF was over and he swung for the fences. Yeah he struck out but it was fun believing it while it lasted 2001-2005. After that- yeah seemed he started making excuses.

So far so good with Forbes. I hope Gebbia demonstrated the same confidence and delivers as well.

Agreed- It is the anti-LOWF that we lived under Odom and Grobe to some extent. Prosser was not perfect but felt like LOWF was over and he swung for the fences. Yeah he struck out but it was fun believing it while it lasted 2001-2005. After that- yeah seemed he started making excuses.

Clawson is the first football coach Wake has hired who came into a situation with facilities that were at least competitive with and in many cases better than peer school facilities.

Clawson is the first coach we’ve had in a major sport to consistently talk like a winner without the aw shucks, excuse making, or blaming players for program issues. Clawson expects to win.
I've never seen anyone like him at Wake and I'm no youngster. He also will pull the trigger and thin the herd with staff. So damn refreshing. Loved Grobe but his absolute refusal to make changes cost him his job as it should.

Last edited:
I've never seen anyone like him at Wake and I'm no youngster. He also will pull the trigger and thin the herd with staff. So damn refreshing. Loved Grobe but his absolute refusal to make changes cost him his job as it should.

I think the staff comment can’t be over-stated- if we had had a halfway decent OC- we win the division in 2008 no questions asked- completely blanked offensively vs. BC, State, and Miami.

I think the staff comment can’t be over-stated- if we had had a halfway decent OC- we win the division in 2008 no questions asked- completely blanked offensively vs. BC, State, and Miami.

Not even halfway decent was required. Someone that could walk and chew gum would have sufficed. The most surreal season where vs Miami we ran some 44 times to 7 passes with Riley at QB (I think we ran it close to 20 times straight one time) and believe the week before or after was the exact opposite where playcalling was beyond nonsensical. Felt bad for Riley and team as can’t imagine what they were thinking with that schizo offense. No identity whatsoever and sadly had great qb and playmakers that could have produced so much more if properly lead. Not sure if the pressure was getting to Lobo or if was just a guy that that he was smarter than everyone but proved quite the opposite. And yea he was Grobes downfall unfortunately.

Not even halfway decent was required. Someone that could walk and chew gum would have sufficed. The most surreal season where vs Miami we ran some 44 times to 7 passes with Riley at QB (I think we ran it close to 20 times straight one time) and believe the week before or after was the exact opposite where playcalling was beyond nonsensical. Felt bad for Riley and team as can’t imagine what they were thinking with that schizo offense. No identity whatsoever and sadly had great qb and playmakers that could have produced so much more if properly lead. Not sure if the pressure was getting to Lobo or if was just a guy that that he was smarter than everyone but proved quite the opposite. And yea he was Grobes downfall unfortunately.

I agree it was nonsensical. But I seem to recall the Miami game was 100% Grobe. He had been so disappointed in the run game the week prior, he decided to make a point of running the ball until it worked. It didn’t, obviously. Lobo had his fair share of WTF games, but I’m pretty sure that Miami game was Grobe’s fault.

Grobe always took the blame for Lobo's failures in pressers and said it was his call. Dubious how much of that was true

I gotta believe a big part of Hemphill leaving for Duke was that Claw told him we were going in a different direction at DC, especially since he isn't even a coordinator over there.

If only Grobe had changed coordinators after a division-winning, 10-win season when that unit didn't perform very well in total. Never crossed his mind. A clear indicator of the difference between the two

Yeah the week before we lost @ MD 26-0 in one of the few shutouts of the Grobe era at that point IIRC. That offense changed every week in 2008- went from Power I, pistol, to spread, etc. That’s also right when the Wildcat was in vogue and we tried that as well. Riley, Swank, and the Defense kept us in a lot of games that year we should have lost by a more than we did.

I gotta believe a big part of Hemphill leaving for Duke was that Claw told him we were going in a different direction at DC, especially since he isn't even a coordinator over there.

If only Grobe had changed coordinators after a division-winning, 10-win season when that unit didn't perform very well in total. Never crossed his mind. A clear indicator of the difference between the two

That’s the different between a coach who runs a football program and a mentor who runs a family.

Yeah, by the time some 3-star linebacker transfers twice because he thinks he’s an NFL player and the coaches are holding him back, he’ll be a 20-year old junior who doesn’t know the system and still lists his major as General Studies.

I’m pro player and I think this goes too far. One time and grad transfer are enough and encourage academic progress and graduation. This doesn’t seem to help.

I think this is mainly a way for the NCAA to unburden themselves of the transfer waiver process.

I’m pro player and I think this goes too far. One time and grad transfer are enough and encourage academic progress and graduation. This doesn’t seem to help.

We are about to become a farm team for bigger schools.

Not with this coaching staff. If we had mediocre or bad coaches in place then I’d agree.

That's good in theory, but Lane Kiffin makes twice as much as Dave Clawson, based on Clawson's reported $3.6 million. Dave Doeren makes 40% more. Even if we're secure with Clawson through retirement, he won't be here forever.

Back