• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I haven't read all of this so I assume Wake will be moving to the SEC to balance out Vandy in the other division

ACC tells ND it’s either all in or out

PAC 12 expands to 16 adding Kansas, Baylor, Boise State, and BYU

ACC and PAC 12 merge into a super conference with each football team playing one regular season game against the other conference/pod.

Postseason is a 4 team playoff with the top four teams regardless of geography.

The one big card I think the ACC has left is if they can form a mega conference with the PAC-12 and get out of the current ESPN deal. Then they could try to work a deal with NBC to bring ND into the conference which could help preserve their rivalries with USC and Stanford. NBC, USA, and NBCSN could air three or four games a week each. Peacock could air even more.

The backup plan would be to cut a deal with CBS to replace their SEC deal but expand it to include games on the CW, one or two of their other networks, and Paramount+.

The ACC needs to do something big and do it now. Staying with ESPN as the SEC’s little brother is not going to do it.

This isn't even going to be a channel anymore in a few more months, not sure I'd be hopping in the boat to dump ESPN and get in bed with NBC when they are abandoning their "sports network" channel!

But the addition of new members brings about new negotiations in TV deals, so it isn't really quite that simple. The value of OU and TX, for example, isn't just in the revenues of their athletic department. It's that they added value to the conference just by being in it. Maybe that's inferred by the tweet, but hard to tell.

I'm lobbying for a 16-team conference comprised of the Big XII leftovers, with the addition of BYU, Boise St, Memphis, Cinci, USF, UCF, SMU, and Houston.

I'm lobbying for a 16-team conference comprised of the Big XII leftovers, with the addition of BYU, Boise St, Memphis, Cinci, USF, UCF, SMU, and Houston.

Yeah, what's left of the Big XII is the more important discussion presently. I think the AAC could come out of this thing a lot stronger If they look to add teams. They're currently at 11 schools and some of the teams suck pretty bad.

I think OSU and Kansas will find a better landing place, like the PAC 12 or the B1G, but everybody else is going downward in the pecking order. PAC 12 should grab BYU.

Thank god we were good enough in basketball all those years ago that other schools who liked basketball joined with us to form a conference. Being a charter member of the ACC is probably the best thing to ever happen to WFU, despite the teeth gnashing of the moment.

Thank god we were good enough in basketball all those years ago that other schools who liked basketball joined with us to form a conference. Being a charter member of the ACC is probably the best thing to ever happen to WFU, despite the teeth gnashing of the moment.

TK Hearn said that himself, back in the day; the two events which defined WF were the move to W-S and the formation of the ACC

without the ACC we're Furman - which is a fine school, but...

The football landscape since the last big ACC expansion is so different. There's certainly a plausible alternate universe where FSU & Miami don't crater and remain perennial top 5/10 teams, Clemson still attains their current blueblood status (albeit less dominant), VT better capitalizes post-Vick, Nick Saban stays in the NFL, and the ACC is the best football conference in the country.

Made-for-tv football super conferences with limited or no geographic ties will drag all the other sports in their conferences kicking/screaming, as other sports work much better for the student-athletes and fans on a regional level, including basketball. Even if the ACC added Kentucky, Indiana and UCLA for basketball, after the novelty of one game at their place and one in W-S, the majority of Wake fans would derive more enthusiasm from playing UNC, Duke, VA, GT etc. 2x every year on a home and away basis.

The football landscape since the last big ACC expansion is so different. There's certainly a plausible alternate universe where FSU & Miami don't crater and remain perennial top 5/10 teams, Clemson still attains their current blueblood status (albeit less dominant), VT better capitalizes post-Vick, Nick Saban stays in the NFL, and the ACC is the best football conference in the country.

I'd really like to know more about why so many programs went downhill upon joining the ACC. The simple answer is probably losing legendary coaches, but plenty of programs have continued being good, or great, after a coach is replaced. FSU and Miami were on top of the world for a while, and have had huge falls. VT played for a national championship, and has been straight up average over the last decade.

Miami has played in the ACC championship game once and never won it. That is absolutely incredible, especially out of the Coastal division.

Nobody has noted the most important possible outcome of realignment:

Wes Miller to the ACC!

I'd really like to know more about why so many programs went downhill upon joining the ACC. The simple answer is probably losing legendary coaches, but plenty of programs have continued being good, or great, after a coach is replaced. FSU and Miami were on top of the world for a while, and have had huge falls. VT played for a national championship, and has been straight up average over the last decade.

Miami has played in the ACC championship game once and never won it. That is absolutely incredible, especially out of the Coastal division.

Clemson and Alabama drank everyone's milkshake.

FSU did win a Natty after Bowden left, and then played in the BCS again, the next season. In 2013 and 2014 wasn't that long ago, and as recently as 2016 FSU had a long run of 10+ win season.

Jimbo lost interest at the end of his time in Tallahassee, and Willie Taggart was a bad hire. FSU can ascend again.

Miami is another story. Starting in 2004, the Coastal Division was essentially set up for Miami to play in the ACCCG every year. I guess VT is the has the second best football history in that division, and then maybe GT... yikes; Miami has had every opportunity to dominate that Division. Unfathomable that over 17 seasons in the ACC that Duke has as many ACCG appearances as the Canes. Every year, Miami gets picked to return to prominence, and then, the Canes always disappoint. They have run out of excuses.

Last edited:

The coaching angle is correct. FSU post Bowden and Miami post (Schnellenberger, JJ, Ericksen, Cook, Butch) have lost their cache and ability recruiting the best football players. Alabama, LSU, Ga, Fl, OSU, and Clemson have poached them recruiting and out coached them consistently. FSU and Miami could rebound a bit with better coaches, but the recruiting damage is permanent. The expanded SEC "could" have even more appeal to recruits based on the "players in the NFL" credibility factor and media exposure. If you're a recruit would you rather play on a 3 loss SEC team on national TV or an NC State team that never gets a national TV game? If we don't get ND permanently we're done as a "power" conference.

With the amount of HS talent in Florida, and UF not being great recently, the lack of success by FSU and Miami is even more surprising. I share the confidence in FSU returning to contender status at some point in the near future.

The coaching angle is correct. FSU post Bowden and Miami post (Schnellenberger, JJ, Ericksen, Cook, Butch) have lost their cache and ability recruiting the best football players. Alabama, LSU, Ga, Fl, OSU, and Clemson have poached them recruiting and out coached them consistently. FSU and Miami could rebound a bit with better coaches, but the recruiting damage is permanent. The expanded SEC "could" have even more appeal to recruits based on the "players in the NFL" credibility factor and media exposure. If you're a recruit would you rather play on a 3 loss SEC team on national TV or an NC State team that never gets a national TV game? If we don't get ND permanently we're done as a "power" conference.

Bad coaching hires and letting legacy coaches hang on for too long really led to the downfall of the traditional powers. Bowden and Beamer both probably needed to retire 5 years sooner than they did. It worked out now for Clemson as it led to Dabo, but Clemson let Tommy Bowden coach for 10 years averaging 6-7 wins a year. There was just a lot of complacency with ACC ADs.

To your second point on recruiting, I think its spot on. ESPN is going to pump the SEC even more than they do now and SEC games will dominate all of the top TV windows. With NIL, a 5* kid is going to go to an SEC school vs. Clemson, FSU, Miami because of the extra media attention.

I don't really see any way for the ACC to survive. Notre Dame provides maybe a small lifeline for another decade, but the money disparity is just too much to continue in perpetuity. The grant of rights and the TV contract into the 2030s is a gift and a curse right now. ESPN has no reason to renegotiate it, but with today's news I do think Clemson and FSU would be 100% trying to get into the SEC right now without being locked in, along with the BIG probably raiding UNC, Duke, UVA.

Back