• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

My guy, I say this with the weight of experience, as a law grad and currently looking for a job in one of the biggest legal markets in the country, we are most definitely not first tier on the national stage.
The ACC has more T14 law schools (2) than the SEC (0) and the same number as the Big 10 (2). Does that get us more sports media revenue? Of course the current Pac 12 can boast 50% of its members have T14 law schools. Maybe that's the best conference. Or maybe, this is wholly irrelevant to this thread.

So the ACC has better law grads than the SEC and they still get out maneuvered by those country bumpkin barristers.

Seems like there is an inverse relationship between the best law schools and the best football. Who woulda thunk it?

Then you attended a second tier university. Because if the law school is second tier, so is the university.
I’m sick of this argument but this is flawed logic: 1) there are far fewer law schools than colleges in general. So being 20th out of 100 is not as good as being 20th out of 1000; and 2) law schools are being measured against each other for doing the same thing. Not all colleges do the same thing. Some are focused on undergrads. Some are focused on grads. Wake Forest undergrad is typically top 10. The USNWR heavily weighs grants, PhD’s granted, etc. It’s super impressive that we have maintained the top 30 against the other schools in that range given the criteria of evaluation.

If the big 12 GOR is as locked up as we think the ACC GOR is
If what's left of the pac # doesn't increase revenue enough on their own to make expansion worth it
If what is left in non power 5 wasn't worth it before
and if our GOR is so iron clad.....

why expand now? Why do anything? other than to do something? And if things were worth doing before and we didn't, then why didn't we?
We may well not do anything. We're just talking. Exploring. Stanford and Cal want to talk. Of course.

SMU does not "deliver" the Dallas-Fort Worth Market (FWIW, its not even clear that Stanford and Cal would deliver the SF market; think/hope that is at least part of the vetting process). It's not as easy as just adding any school in a geographic region and then claim "We got that area covered". If it was, every conference would be handing out bids to Barnard College to "deliver" the NYC market, and Occidental College to "deliver" LA.

SMU does not "deliver" the Dallas-Fort Worth Market (FWIW, its not even clear that Stanford and Cal would deliver the SF market; think/hope that is at least part of the vetting process). It's not as easy as just adding any school in a geographic region and then claim "We got that area covered". If it was every conference would be handing out bids to Barnard College to "deliver" the NYC market, and Occidental College to "deliver" LA.
Rank the available schools by how interested you'd be in them and why. Do that and I get why SMU is on the list regardless of what they "deliver."

If we want to improve the ACC ranking in US News and World Reports law school rankings, I would suggest adding Georgetown and the University of Chicago as well.

Or ya know, we can talk football.

I 100% agree that talking about TV markets is antiquated. SMU giving up 5 years of $$$ moves the needle a bit, but I can’t help but think that more folks tune into Oregon State and Wazzu than SMU. Hell, I’d guess more people tune into Boise and maybe even Fresno too.

The more I think about it, I don't think we should pursue ND as a full member if they become agreeable to it. ND law is 27th in the U.S. News rankings which is decidedly 2nd tier. Louisville was bad enough, but we don't need to drag our academic reputation through the mud anymore.

Back