• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Rank the available schools by how interested you'd be in them and why. Do that and I get why SMU is on the list regardless of what they "deliver."
If a candidate does not deliver anything, adding a school just to get the ACC's "numbers" up or because everyone else has expanded, does not make sense. It just waters down a conference that is already perceived as weak.

Stanford and Cal have potential, but some obvious drawbacks. Depending on what the terms are and what the revenue potential is, I would consider those two. If there is any chance to add from the Big 12, I would want Kansas and maybe WV. That is about it of teams potentially available for the ACC.

FWIW, before taking SMU, I would consider Oregon State and Washington State. Realize that they are the little brothers of Oregon and Washington, but those two schools would deliver the Pacific Northwest and along with Stanford and Cal would give a legit West Coast market to the ACC for late-night ACCN programming. Don't see how Stanford and Cal alone do that. Of the current non-power conference schools, the only other school worth consideration (and not saying I would offer them) would be adding San Diego State if the ACC is really going to try to have a West Coast presence. The idea of having one small school in the Dallas area "delivering" Texas or any part of that state seems misguided. It really is like the Big 12 adding UNC-Charlotte and than having the Big 12 claim that the 49ers "deliver" NC or the City of Charlotte. Um... no.

Last edited:
I don't know jack shit about anything but to me if we add Stanford and Cal, it makes sense to include Oregon State and Washington State as well if they are interested to give Cal and Stanford some west coast rivalries and establish the ACC in the west. Adding just 2 seems pretty dumb overall.

If a candidate does not deliver anything, adding a school just to get the ACC's "numbers" up or because everyone else has expanded, does not make sense. It just waters down a conference that is already perceived as weak.

Stanford and Cal have potential, but some obvious drawbacks. Depending on what the terms are and what the revenue potential is, I would consider those two. If there is any chance to add from the Big 12, I would want Kansas and maybe WV. That is about it of teams potentially available for the ACC.

FWIW, before taking SMU, I would consider Oregon State and Washington State. Realize that they are the little brothers of Oregon and Washington, but those two schools would deliver the Pacific Northwest and along with Stanford and Cal would give a legit West Coast market to the ACC for late-night ACCN programming. Don't see how Stanford and Cal alone do that. Of the current non-power conference schools, the only other school worth consideration (and not saying I would offer them) would be adding San Diego State if the ACC is really going to try to have a West Coast presence. The idea of having one small school in the Dallas area "delivering" Texas or any part of that state seems misguided. It really is like the Big 12 adding UNC-Charlotte and than having the Big 12 claim that the 49ers "deliver" NC or the City of Charlotte. Um... no.
This is basically my list too. Stanford and Cal, then Kansas and WVU (although they seem to be in a GOR similar to ours), then Oregon State and Wazzu, then SDSU and Boise, then maybe SMU.

Get Hawaii. Grabs the entire Pacific Rim market and a nice road trip every few years.

FWIW, to the extent being good in football matters in the expansion game (and not sure it really does), Oregon State has a chance to be sneaky good this year. As in a Pac-12 darkhorse. OSU coach Jonathan Smith has built a program on an unstoppable power running game, and they added DJ who could be a beast in that system. Pac 12 defenses outside of Utah and maybe Washington are helpless against that attack. The Beavers also slaughter people at home (IIRC, they currently have the longest home ATS streak), and their stadium renovation was just completed. Got to believe this team will be motivated to inflict pain after being cast aside by the conference. Look out for the Beavers. They are coming.

resize

damienmartinez_2022_usatoday.jpg

I don't know what Pilchard does for a living but I am going to hire him away. Smart dude.

I was going to try to hire Tigerswood but he absolutely refuses to buy me a beer and I don't want anyone here to like him anymore. (teasing ofc)

This is basically my list too. Stanford and Cal, then Kansas and WVU (although they seem to be in a GOR similar to ours), then Oregon State and Wazzu, then SDSU and Boise, then maybe SMU.
Call me crazy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that, if the ACC is considering adding SMU and not Oregon State and/or Washington State, it's because ESPN has indicated that SMU would in fact be more beneficial from a revenue standpoint than those other schools.

If we want to improve the ACC ranking in US News and World Reports law school rankings, I would suggest adding Georgetown and the University of Chicago as well.

Or ya know, we can talk football.
University of Chicago is undefeated against ND, so that's one way we can assure an ACC team finally beat the Domers

Call me crazy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that, if the ACC is considering adding SMU and not Oregon State and/or Washington State, it's because ESPN has indicated that SMU would in fact be more beneficial from a revenue standpoint than those other schools.
Not crazy. The ACC is basically a subsidiary of ESPN.

University of chicago has a fascinating football history and their nickname is the Maroons which makes me laugh when I think about Clemson fans reading that.

I’ll add that Memphis and USF are somewhat conspicuously absent from the discussions.

Memphis generally seems to get disrespected across the board. I had no idea how successful they've been in recent years. They've averaged 8.7 wins over the last 9 seasons starting with Fuente's second year.

USF was a big winner of the first round of expansion. USF, Louisville, and Cincy replaced BC, Miami, and VT in the Big East. This time, USF football fell apart at the absolute worst time. If this rash of expansions happens 5 years earlier, maybe they get picked up with UCF. But they have 8 wins in the last four seasons. That's one reason why their peer programs over the 00s and 10s like Louisville, Cincy, WVU, and UCF have passed them by.

But USF continues to rise in US News rankings (#97 tied with Auburn and Colorado), just got AAU status, and is building a new stadium. If the new coach turns things around, I could see the Big XII or ACC being interested. They could also be part of a cross country Pac-12 play if Stanford and Cal stay.

USF was a big winner of the first round of expansion. USF, Louisville, and Cincy replaced BC, Miami, and VT in the Big East. This time, USF football fell apart at the absolute worst time. If this rash of expansions happens 5 years earlier, maybe they get picked up with UCF. But they have 8 wins in the last four seasons. But USF continues to rise in US News rankings (#97 tied with Auburn and Colorado), just got AAU status, and is building a new stadium. If they new coach turns things around, I could see the Big XII or ACC being interested. They could also be part of a cross country Pac-12 play Stanford and Cal stay.

Lots of smoking hot chicks too, right ?

Back