• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Memphis generally seems to get disrespected across the board. I had no idea how successful they've been in recent years. They've averaged 8.7 wins over the last 9 seasons starting with Fuente's second year.

USF was a big winner of the first round of expansion. USF, Louisville, and Cincy replaced BC, Miami, and VT in the Big East. This time, USF football fell apart at the absolute worst time. If this rash of expansions happens 5 years earlier, maybe they get picked up with UCF. But they have 8 wins in the last four seasons. That's one reason why their peer programs over the 00s and 10s like Louisville, Cincy, WVU, and UCF have passed them by.

But USF continues to rise in US News rankings (#97 tied with Auburn and Colorado), just got AAU status, and is building a new stadium. If the new coach turns things around, I could see the Big XII or ACC being interested. They could also be part of a cross country Pac-12 play if Stanford and Cal stay.
Tier 2 faculty :)

Notre Dame is 41-7 against the ACC since 2014. During that same period, Notre Dame is 4-4 against Stanford. Since 2009, Stanford is 8-5 against Notre Dame.

My preference given where things stand as of today:

1. West Virginia
2. Stanford (and I guess if this has to include Cal which I guess it does, throw them in too if not see further down)
3. Memphis
4. SMU
5. California
6. Oregon State/Wazzu (don't care to parse these and not really sure it matters one way or the other since this is also just a tandem).
7. Other regional teams in the greater NC/VA area (James Madison, App State - do not want Charlotte or Liberty - obviously no legitimate national conference should ever split revenue with Liberty)

Forgot WVU. They're obviously number one. Uconn is somewhere but god if I know where. Maybe between Stanford and Memphis? Maybe with more $$$ they'd be better in football but basketball would be a ton of fun even if it doesn't move the media needle $$$ wise.

USF's AD is a 90s Deac as well.

numbers, the drop off from #5 to #6 is a cliff. You wouldn't put USF, Tulane, UAB, Rice, or Temple in there? At least get some large metro areas.

numbers, the drop off from #5 to #6 is a cliff. You wouldn't put USF, Tulane, UAB, Rice, or Temple in there? At least get some large metro areas.
Temple is an intriguing option. I know it’s not a “media market” but I’ve always thought Southern Miss actually tries too and has a big following.

Instead of rehashing the same old list, could the conference do something to incentivize schools like UConn or Vilanova to make earnest investments into building football programs as a condition of membership. If those schools could build programs by the time the GOR expires, they would be more valuable and better fits than many of the names being kicked around. Let them join now at a fractional share if they are willing to grow football. Other investment opportunities might be UMass, Georgetown, or University of Buffalo. I am trying to think of schools that would have been swept up already if they had programs.

Don't know the booster situation money wise moving forward but seems like they've had a solid enough run in football and would be a fun addition sans academics but that left a long time ago so I don't really care about that (see: Louisville). 8 bowls in 9 years and ranked in five of the last 9 at some point (whatever that's worth). No losing record in a decade.

Instead of rehashing the same old list, could the conference do something to incentivize schools like UConn or Vilanova to make earnest investments into building football programs as a condition of membership. If those schools could build programs by the time the GOR expires, they would be more valuable and better fits than many of the names being kicked around. Let them join now at a fractional share if they are willing to grow football.
I can’t see offering an FCS program like Nova. It’s just not feasible.

Instead of rehashing the same old list, could the conference do something to incentivize schools like UConn or Vilanova to make earnest investments into building football programs as a condition of membership. If those schools could build programs by the time the GOR expires, they would be more valuable and better fits than many of the names being kicked around. Let them join now at a fractional share if they are willing to grow football.
I have some concerns about having both an existing interest in BC and Uconn, two New England schools, consistently building up/improving their football team in an area where quite frankly nobody really cares and pro sports are king. We already have BC on the payroll so if it's primarily about football that's my UConn serious issue. Obviously five titles in 25 years in basketball is nothing to scoff about.

Yeah I guess of these teams I'd throw USF and Tulane in ahead of 6 and 7. Not that it means anything in the least, but I don't care about UAB Rice or Temple at all and don't see the upside at all especially Rice if we have SMU well ahead of them which I mean any conference surely has to. No reason to add Rice if you add SMU already.

The best (only?) thing Temple has really going for it is they're in Philly. John Chaney isn't walking through that door and neither is Matt Rhule.

Don't know the booster situation money wise moving forward but seems like they've had a solid enough run in football and would be a fun addition sans academics but that left a long time ago so I don't really care about that (see: Louisville). 8 bowls in 9 years and ranked in five of the last 9 at some point (whatever that's worth). No losing record in a decade.
Juggernaut

Yeah I guess of these teams I'd throw USF and Tulane in ahead of 6 and 7. Not that it means anything in the least, but I don't care about UAB Rice or Temple at all and don't see the upside at all especially Rice if we have SMU well ahead of them which I mean any conference surely has to. No reason to add Rice if you add SMU already.

The best (only?) thing Temple has really going for it is they're in Philly. John Chaney isn't walking through that door and neither is Matt Rhule.
Considering Football is king, UAB had their football program shutdown for a year not too long ago right?

I can’t see offering an FCS program like Nova. It’s just not feasible.
FCS programs go FBS all the time. I'm not sure why they haven't. They used to have a pretty good program.

Yet.

Memphis, Tulane, USF, SMU, JMU, App State? What? Are we just trying to rack up numbers at this point? How about Queens College and Kennesaw State? WTF?

Why doesn't WF just join the AAC or C-USA now if the ACC going to add all of these crap schools?

Notre Dame has a full vote? SMH

I wonder if we let in Stanford, ND gets to continue to play them every year and use that as part of their annual ACC commitment, reducing everyone else's ND exposures

Considering Football is king, UAB had their football program shutdown for a year not too long ago right?
Yeah, but they've been pretty good since. 8.3 wins a year.

Back