• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I would like to introduce you to the University of South Carolina Gamecocks. I don't think there is any school in the country with a more disproportionate level of fan support/enthusiasm relative to historical success than our friends in Columbia. Last conference football title was in 1969 (ACC Champs!), they have fewer bowl victories than LOWF, yet every home game they pack 80,000 crazy people into Williams-Brice thinking they're a couple bounces of the ball away from dethroning Alabama.

Well, they were the last SEC East team to beat Bama (10/9/2010) before Georgia did it in the 2022 CFP.

Northwestern is set up for CFP run then

Not coming off 4 wins in the last two seasons.

Meanwhile Baylor averaged 10 wins for five seasons before Grobe won 7 in holding the program together for the next coach.

Not coming off 4 wins in the last two seasons.

Meanwhile Baylor averaged 10 wins for five seasons before Grobe won 7 in holding the program together for the next coach.
Baylor lost a huge segment of its roster as the result of the scandal. Then, Grobe was a potted plant for a season. There was no recruiting during that year. After Grobe's season, essentially none of the players that led Baylor to its success under Art Briles were still around. It was a rebuild. Ruhle was a bad NFL coach. He was a good college coach in very difficult circumstances -- Temple and Baylor after the scandal. There are a ton of coaches that struggled in the NFL and succeeded in college (or vice versa -- Bill Walsh).

I would like to introduce you to the University of South Carolina Gamecocks. I don't think there is any school in the country with a more disproportionate level of fan support/enthusiasm relative to historical success than our friends in Columbia. Last conference football title was in 1969 (ACC Champs!), they have fewer bowl victories than LOWF, yet every home game they pack 80,000 crazy people into Williams-Brice thinking they're a couple bounces of the ball away from dethroning Alabama.
As a Columbia native, this is 10000000% true. Most insufferable fanbase in the country.

I’d love to hear that Currie and administration were pursuing Big10-whatever behind the scenes. Big 10-whatever shouldn’t look at Duke, now that they don’t have the K mystique. If they went after UVa or UNC, then state legislatures would mean that VaTech or NCSU would be part of the package. Too much red tape and baggage.

Will FSU bitch more about the ACC if they have a great season and make the CFP or if they have another disappointing season?

I mean from a fan perspective I don't know why FSU or Clemson peeps would want to leave the ACC. There is no easier route to the CFPs and thus a natty than in the ACC.

From a school perspective I get it about the bag.
Dabo always understood this. Apparently, FSU does not get it.

I mean from a fan perspective I don't know why FSU or Clemson peeps would want to leave the ACC. There is no easier route to the CFPs and thus a natty than in the ACC.

Americans love to root for wealthy people to get even more wealthy at their own expense. We are a nation of cucks. That’s why European fans went apeshit when they tried to pull that Super League nonsense. But college football fans are like “Sure it makes watching games and travelling to games less convenient and my team has to be beat 17 other schools for a conference championship. But it’s all good as long as coaches and athletic department staff get paid and the facilities are really nice.”

I agree. It's just mindblowing how stupid and shortsighted the whole thing is. Norvell is now recruiting at a high level and FSU should be good in the years to come. OTOH, the CFP is going to be a lot easier for the second place team in the ACC to be selected for starting next season. So, being selected as one of two ACC teams is one thing, but if you get there and can't compete because the SEC and B1G schools have more money for NIL or pay for play or barber shops and waterslides than you do, then being in the ACC and making the playoffs is only going to make you pissed off again.

I agree. It's just mindblowing how stupid and shortsighted the whole thing is. Norvell is now recruiting at a high level and FSU should be good in the years to come. OTOH, the CFP is going to be a lot easier for the second place team in the ACC to be selected for starting next season. So, being selected as one of two ACC teams is one thing, but if you get there and can't compete because the SEC and B1G schools have more money for NIL or pay for play or barber shops and waterslides than you do, then being in the ACC and making the playoffs is only going to make you pissed off again.

Good example of putting the cart well before the horse. FSU can’t even beat Wake.

Isn't it the university presidents that make the call on conference realignment??

So, yeah it's about the bag.

To get to the CFP, sure. I think that argument would be better if it were staying at 4 teams. But $ in the NIL era is everything. Not because you can use that $ for NIL, but because you can use it for all the things that attract recruits.

Beyond that, recruiting to the SEC SEC SEC is a real thing, and it's about to get "realer". You need deep talent or a crazy talent like Crab Legs Winston to win a title. It's a lot easier with deep talent. The SEC brand, and to a lesser extent the Big 10 brand, brings more recruits than the ACC brand. This will be more the case going forward, and depth will also be much more of an issue in a 12 team playoff.

What brand does the Big 10 have? Losing teams across every sport, cold weather, boring low-scoring football and basketball, and every major collegiate sexual abuse scandal

Back