• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

that was my class's first home game as freshmen students. we rushed the field. our last game as students was the OB.
I get my years mixed up. Was that the game when Ovie absolutely murdered the entire NCST linebacker unit? I think those guys had nightmares for years.

if there is a school with more delusions of grandeur than state someone please name them. To be considered the school must:
a) think they're a sleeping national power AND
b) have not won a conference title in football or basketball in 30 years
When's the last time ND didn't disappoint in anything other than revenue?

And then our dreams came crashing down with that loss to Purdue. First game as a ranked team since the Independence Bowl season. First home game as a ranked team since 1979.
Yeah. First game of the season was OOC(!) at BC and we listened on the radio since no TV. Then State. Then, Barclay from the shotgun. Ugh.

Yeah. First game of the season was OOC(!) at BC and we listened on the radio since no TV. Then State. Then, Barclay from the shotgun. Ugh.
IIRC, the post game quote was something like,

"If you can't get 1 yard with your best play, you don't deserve to win."

if there is a school with more delusions of grandeur than state someone please name them. To be considered the school must:
Tennessee's last SEC football title was in 1998, but they won the basketball conference title in 2022 for their first SEC basketball championship since the 70s. So they've won slightly more than nothing in the last 30 years, but they are a lot more delusional than NCST fans.

I get my years mixed up. Was that the game when Ovie absolutely murdered the entire NCST linebacker unit? I think those guys had nightmares for years.
No, he was gone by then. The 2003 season was hella weird. Started off with that big win vs a ranked State, ruined Rivers's Heisman chances. Beat the shit out of Clemson. Then lost our last 3, including getting destroyed at home by UConn.

I worked as a student athletic trainer that year and the first game I got to be on the sideline for was UConn. We got destroyed and it was like 40 degrees and raining all day. Miserable.

Tennessee's last SEC football title was in 1998, but they won the basketball conference title in 2022 for their first SEC basketball championship since the 70s. So they've won slightly more than nothing in the last 30 years, but they are a lot more delusional than NCST fans.
Texas A&M last won the B12 in football in 98 but think they're the shit now that they play big boy Ess Eee See ball. Basketball has been slightly better.

That 2003 team shit the bed against a truly awful UNC team in Kenan and fell the fuck apart after that.

Texas A&M last won the B12 in football in 98 but think they're the shit now that they play big boy Ess Eee See ball. Basketball has been slightly better.
A&M's incompetence really is difficult to grasp. Never has so little been done with so much. Might have something to do with them being a legitimate cult and weird as hell but everything about that place is cringe (see vid attached).

A&M's incompetence really is difficult to grasp. Never has so little been done with so much. Might have something to do with them being a legitimate cult and weird as hell but everything about that place is cringe (see vid attached).

West Georgia Waterboy who think they invented throwing toilet paper in trees.

No, he was gone by then. The 2003 season was hella weird. Started off with that big win vs a ranked State, ruined Rivers's Heisman chances. Beat the shit out of Clemson. Then lost our last 3, including getting destroyed at home by UConn.
Had no idea Rivers was in Heisman consideration while at NC State. Way too young to remember his time playing there though.

Had no idea Rivers was in Heisman consideration while at NC State. Way too young to remember his time playing there though.
He finished 7th in voting behind Matt Leinart in 2003.

Rivers was good, but there may have never been an easier player to root against in ACC football history. Maryland fans called him PhiLLLLip because they beat him all four years. That was one of the great message board nicknames of all time.

At one point, Rivers, Russell Wilson, Mike Glennon, and Jacoby Brissett were all starting NFL QBs and State only had that one glorious season to show for it.

Nebraska is getting close to this. Last football conference title was 1999 iirc. Had to look up basketball and their last conference regular season title was in 1950 (they won their tourney in 94).

With that said, they've actually reached the summit in football and not only won, but had a dynasty. I do think their fans a little more realistic in acknowledging what Nebraska football is up against in the current cfb landscape, but a not insignificant portion of the fan base still clings to the notion that they are only one good coach away from being restored to glory.

But if we're talking about deluded fan bases, I have never in my life met a group of people more delusional about their university's place in the universe than Michigan alumni.

I have a friend who is a true believer in Matt Rhule. I feel sorry for him.

Nebraska is getting close to this. Last football conference title was 1999 iirc. Had to look up basketball and their last conference regular season title was in 1950 (they won their tourney in 94).

With that said, they've actually reached the summit in football and not only won, but had a dynasty. I do think their fans a little more realistic in acknowledging what Nebraska football is up against in the current cfb landscape, but a not insignificant portion of the fan base still clings to the notion that they are only one good coach away from being restored to glory.

I know that Nebraska nearly meets Diggler's criteria, but Nebraska was a national powerhouse in the 1990's and for a long time before that. NC State basketball doesn't measure up to Nebraska football.

Back