• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I know that Nebraska nearly meets Diggler's criteria, but Nebraska was a national powerhouse in the 1990's and for a long time before that. NC State basketball doesn't measure up to Nebraska football.
Yeah at least Nebraska and, to a lesser extent, Tennessee were top programs at certain points in time. State has like one season where they were maybe a threat to win the conference in football.

Lol, Ph already has this whole thing figured out about how he took over easy rebuilding jobs at programs that were already on their way back upward.
Pretty much. Do a search for it.

Believe in Rhule at your own peril. He's a right place, right time guy. Kind of like how Scott Frost took over at UCF after Leary went 0-12 after going 31-9 the previous three seasons.

But if we're talking about deluded fan bases, I have never in my life met a group of people more delusional about their university's place in the universe than Michigan alumni.
No personal experience of spending any time around them but I've heard near identical things said about UM fans from multiple people so it must be pretty bad.

Michigan football fans are pretty equivalent to UNC basketball fans. The same exact type of fan

Tennessee's last SEC football title was in 1998, but they won the basketball conference title in 2022 for their first SEC basketball championship since the 70s. So they've won slightly more than nothing in the last 30 years, but they are a lot more delusional than NCST fans.
they won a national championship in 1998, so their hopes of grandeur aren't completely delusional

Texas A&M last won the B12 in football in 98 but think they're the shit now that they play big boy Ess Eee See ball. Basketball has been slightly better.
good one; at least they have been ranked in the top ten a bunch, but they may be the SEC's answer to this question. Still - they won something in the last quarter century

Nebraska is getting close to this. Last football conference title was 1999 iirc. Had to look up basketball and their last conference regular season title was in 1950 (they won their tourney in 94).

With that said, they've actually reached the summit in football and not only won, but had a dynasty. I do think their fans a little more realistic in acknowledging what Nebraska football is up against in the current cfb landscape, but a not insignificant portion of the fan base still clings to the notion that they are only one good coach away from being restored to glory.
covered above. delusional, but at least there's a reason for it and they know their state sucks and no one wants their TV market

But if we're talking about deluded fan bases, I have never in my life met a group of people more delusional about their university's place in the universe than Michigan alumni.
tell me you're from michigan but didn't go there without saying it. Michigan may be insufferable, but they have been to three final fours in basketball AND made the CFP last year, plus a natty in 1997; they have won the big 10 7 times in the last 30 years in football.

In my mind, you can win things and still be delusional. The most delusional fanbase is just the one that has their expectations each year (and for the program overall) the highest compared to what the actual outcomes are.

NCST fans are insufferable, but the majority of them don't have yearly expectations of even winning the ACC, much less national championships. Fanbases like Texas A&M and Tennessee may win more often than NCST, but they expect to win WAY more often than NCST expects to win.

tell me you're from michigan but didn't go there without saying it. Michigan may be insufferable, but they have been to three final fours in basketball AND made the CFP last year, plus a natty in 1997; they have won the big 10 7 times in the last 30 years in football.

They've been to two straight CFP and have been embarrassing on the whole.

Nebraska fired Frank Solich after finishing his last season 9-3 and going 58-19 while HC. Just was not good enough for them because he was not Tom Osborne.

Their 20+ years of mediocrity is well-deserved. I seem to recall a basketball program that did something about as stupid.... hmmm.

Not from Michigan, but did live there for a few years. If you think the academic elitism gets bad here at times, spend five minutes talking to anybody who did their undergrad at UofM. By far the worst I've seen from any school.

Nebraska fired Frank Solich after finishing his last season 9-3 and going 58-19 while HC. Just was not good enough for them because he was not Tom Osborne.

Their 20+ years of mediocrity is well-deserved. I seem to recall a basketball program that did something about as stupid.... hmmm.

I'm trying to figure out which school fired a basketball coach that didn't win as big as a guy who won multiple national championships. There has to be more than one.

He finished 7th in voting behind Matt Leinart in 2003.

Rivers was good, but there may have never been an easier player to root against in ACC football history. Maryland fans called him PhiLLLLip because they beat him all four years. That was one of the great message board nicknames of all time.

At one point, Rivers, Russell Wilson, Mike Glennon, and Jacoby Brissett were all starting NFL QBs and State only had that one glorious season to show for it.
Did any of those four ever win at Groves? Maybe Rivers in 01?

if there is a school with more delusions of grandeur than state someone please name them. To be considered the school must:
a) think they're a sleeping national power AND
b) have not won a conference title in football or basketball in 30 years
I would like to introduce you to the University of South Carolina Gamecocks. I don't think there is any school in the country with a more disproportionate level of fan support/enthusiasm relative to historical success than our friends in Columbia. Last conference football title was in 1969 (ACC Champs!), they have fewer bowl victories than LOWF, yet every home game they pack 80,000 crazy people into Williams-Brice thinking they're a couple bounces of the ball away from dethroning Alabama.

Back