• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

How fun do you think it is to be a Vandy sports fan? Why would being a Wake fan looking any different over the long run with Wake in the SEC?
Wake has invested a lot more into football than Vandy in recent years.

I don’t think there’s reason to immediately assume Wake would be as bad as Vandy just because the schools are similar in size and academically

How fun do you think it is to be a Vandy sports fan? Why would being a Wake fan looking any different over the long run with Wake in the SEC?
Do you believe Vandy has made the same commitment to competing in sports other than baseball and bowling that Wake Forest has made?

I don’t. At all. Not even close.

This board is often clamoring for big-time OOC Power 5 matchups... e.g., we'll play anyone, anywhere, wish we could schedule Bama, etc. Now we think we'd just be Vanderbilt-level cannon fodder in the SEC? I don't know, maybe so. But not with Clawson at the helm. Imagine what it would do for recruiting.

The ACC, SEC, B1G, and big XII aren't about to make anymore dramatic moves. The only thing left to happen is for the PAC-12 and Mountain West to somehow combine for next season.

I think the ACC as we know it is finished in about 4-5 years.

The ACC, SEC, B1G, and big XII aren't about to make anymore dramatic moves. The only thing left to happen is for the PAC-12 and Mountain West to somehow combine for next season.

I think the ACC as we know it is finished in about 4-5 years.
what changes between now and then?

Saw something on Twitter about talks/negotiations for the remaining PAC 12 members and the AAC merging to become the Pacific American Conference. No idea if there is any truth to that or not.

Saw something on Twitter about talks/negotiations for the remaining PAC 12 members and the AAC merging to become the Pacific American Conference. No idea if there is any truth to that or not.

Yeah, I've heard that too.

Something will change. There's no way the ACC is staying together as currently configured till 2036 (or close to that).
Texas and Oklahoma paid $50 million each to get out of the Big XII GoR ONE year early. That was significantly more than the Big XII was getting in annual payments from their media deal.

Why would the ACC take less per year?

Do the schools who claim they want to leave have the funds for the aggregate buyout now? In five years? 10 years?

Do they have lawyers better than those available to TX and OK to break the GoR?

What do you expect to change in five years? 10 years?

Texas and Oklahoma paid $50 million each to get out of the Big XII GoR ONE year early. That was significantly more than the Big XII was getting in annual payments from their media deal.

Do the schools who claim they want to leave have the funds for the aggregate buyout now? In five years? 10 years?

Seems like if poor little FSU is so destitute in the ACC they couldn’t afford to move.

You people really expect the ACC to be around, more or less in its current form in 2036 without some massive change ?

A lot can happen in 5 years. I think it's very likely private equity enters the fray as the sport grows more profitable.

Back