• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Something will change. There's no way the ACC is staying together as currently configured till 2036 (or close to that).

Completely agree with this. Either the rest of the landscape changes and people stop caring about money (not likely), or the ACC ends.

Also, I've read some things on the World Wide Web that boggle my mind, but nothing has blown my mind like people here (not many but some) saying they don't want WFU in the SEC or the B10.

FFS, people, this is not a science fair. This is sports. If Currie and company somehow get WFU in one of the good, viable remaining conferences, it would be the best thing that anyone ever did for WFU or us as fans. I get that 50 years ago this was somewhat about college and trying to be smart and such, but to paraphrase a very good writer, that ain't it anymore.

5 years breathing room is 5 years breathing room. Who knows what the college football landscape will look like in 5 years and who is to say it will involve conferences as a necessary component? I was talking to an ND friend and in his circles people are wondering if more and more schools might make jump to independence for football only at the conclusion of media deals currently tying them their conferences. If it's only about the money, there are some programs that stand to make more as independents than they do tied to even the SEC or Big10. The networks may not make too big a stink either because there are only a few of those schools and they will make up the difference by not having to pay so much to the minor members of those conferences. Even if the conference structure stays in tact, will the equal distribution model continue 5 years now? If not, what's the appeal of the SEC or Big 10 for the majority of schools and are the ACC or Big12 schools as disadvantaged as they fear they will be?

Apparent that we are going to go through the same dog and pony show with FSU every August 15 until they finally leave. Perhaps, it will be in the next 5 years, and perhaps others go with them. Right now, don't see a scenario where 7 schools decide to break the GOR, as that is what it would take to disband the ACC, but hard to know how the sports world and revenue streams will evolve over the next few years.

I think we will go through at least a couple of years of the expanded 12 team CFB playoff before the next big change in conference make up; in the meantime, 11 bids will go to the ACC, SEC, Big 12, and Big 10. If it works out that the ACC gets one bid and the SEC and Big 10 get 8 over the first couple of years; then, the ACC will crater. If the ACC holds its own with the expanded playoff, that could tilt things toward keeping the conference together. We shall see.

History doesn’t suggest the ACC will hold its own or get rewarded if it does. Hard to see a 3rd ACC at 9-3 getting in over a 5th SEC team at 9-3 especially if that team isn’t one of the big brands.

Ideally, we need several ACC teams to jump up in national prestige that aren't looking to break up the conference. I guess that would be Va. Tech and Miami and frankly Wake Forest.

Ideally, we need several ACC teams to jump up in national prestige that aren't looking to break up the conference. I guess that would be Va. Tech and Miami and frankly Wake Forest.
"perennial top 10" Wake Forest you mean

Does this mean that UNC-CH and NC State have already jumped up in national prestige ahead of Wake ?

History doesn’t suggest the ACC will hold its own or get rewarded if it does. Hard to see a 3rd ACC at 9-3 getting in over a 5th SEC team at 9-3 especially if that team isn’t one of the big brands.
Fair point, but the ACC also has not done that well in regular season OOC games against Power V schools (particularly Miami) in recent years, which has led to SEC teams getting rated ahead of ACC teams with the same record.

Would help this year for Miami to beat A&M, FSU to beat LSU (and Florida), Clemson and someone else in the ACC to beat Notre Dame, L'ville to beat Kentucky, UVA to beat Maryland (unlikely), Cuse to beat Purdue, UNC to beat S. Carolina, among other OOC games. If Miami is 9-3, but they beat Texas A&M, and lost to a FSU team that swept the SEC, and a Clemson team that beat ND and S. Carolina; yes, they can get a bid over a 9-3 SEC team, but that hasn't been the scenario in recent years.

Fair point, but the ACC also has not done that well in regular season OOC games against Power V schools (particularly Miami) in recent years, which has led to SEC teams getting rated ahead of ACC teams with the same record.

Would help this year for Miami to beat A&M, FSU to beat LSU (and Florida), Clemson and someone else in the ACC to beat Notre Dame, L'ville to beat Kentucky, UVA to beat Maryland (unlikely), Cuse to beat Purdue, UNC to beat S. Carolina, among other OOC games. If Miami is 9-3, but they beat Texas A&M, and lost to a FSU team that swept the SEC, and a Clemson team that beat ND and S. Carolina; yes, they can get a bid over a 9-3 SEC team, but that hasn't been the scenario in recent years.
Man, so are you saying we have to root for the ACC as a conference? Fuck UNC always and now fuck FSU because of their recent bullshit. Gonna be hard to root for those motherfuckers.

Apparent that we are going to go through the same dog and pony show with FSU every August 15 until they finally leave. Perhaps, it will be in the next 5 years, and perhaps others go with them. Right now, don't see a scenario where 7 schools decide to break the GOR, as that is what it would take to disband the ACC, but hard to know how the sports world and revenue streams will evolve over the next few years.

I think we will go through at least a couple of years of the expanded 12 team CFB playoff before the next big change in conference make up; in the meantime, 11 bids will go to the ACC, SEC, Big 12, and Big 10. If it works out that the ACC gets one bid and the SEC and Big 10 get 8 over the first couple of years; then, the ACC will crater. If the ACC holds its own with the expanded playoff, that could tilt things toward keeping the conference together. We shall see.
We should be used to hearing about how great the Florida ACC teams are before football is actually played by now.

The ACC team will be the underdog in every one of those games except: ND at Clemson, UNC-CH v. USC (+2.5), and the UF/FSU game.

Man, so are you saying we have to root for the ACC as a conference? Fuck UNC always and now fuck FSU because of their recent bullshit. Gonna be hard to root for those motherfuckers.

Look at it this way: You got to watch them shit the bed for the past decade.

Yes. That’s what I meant by history doesn’t suggest the ACC will hold its own.

I’m afraid jerseys in college football and basketball will begin to look like those in leagues around the world, with sponsors on them instead of schools.

I’m afraid jerseys in college football and basketball will begin to look like those in leagues around the world, with sponsors on them instead of schools.
This is so far down my list I haven't even thought about it. I'm a big who cares about this given the other existential threats that are out there

Does this mean that UNC-CH and NC State have already jumped up in national prestige ahead of Wake ?
shoot no. It just means that I hope UNC and State and FSU all suck ass from now until eternity so that they lose whatever power they think they have. I'll begrudingly accept that Clemson is a football power with national prestige because they have earned it.

I'll still hope that FSU does well to help the ACC. Just not as well as anyone else, except UNC.

I would be fine if UNC never won a game in any sport, even if it meant the ACC ceases to exist.

The ACC team will be the underdog in every one of those games except: ND at Clemson, UNC-CH v. USC (+2.5), and the UF/FSU game.
Yes, but in the past, the ACC has lost many of those games as favorites. Also, think that Cuse may be favorite over Purdue, and we have a long season to go, but ND at NC State will be a short line; KY/L'ville may be short line, and LSU is only a 2.5 favorite over FSU. It's not like the Miracle on Ice for the ACC team to win any of those games.

How about a straight up trade with the Big 12:
WVU for FSU with FSU paying us $250 million (exit fees roughly wash, FSU escaping 13 year GOR vs WVU escaping 8).

F*ck FSU. However, they don't want to go to the Big 12 (though the GOR ends sooner).

If we had WVU, it might make VT and Pitt happier. Also makes UC a better longer term target.

Not going to happen. But I do wish we had added WVU a few years ago (like before the new Big 12 GOR, now that I know our GOR is pro rata for new adds).

Back