• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

If the ACC merged with the Pac-12, that would have buried the Big 12.

yep exactly, missed opportunity. Still should be our focus. Probably impossible but have Arizona, ASU, Cinci, Colorado, Iowa/Okla St, Kansas, Texas Tech, Utah, West Virginia vote to dissolve the GOR (if just a simple majority is needed) then invite them in. Full western division and makes the ACC the third super conference when all is said and done.

Agreed. Now that the snowball has started, we should just go for Oregon St and Wash St to complete a western pod and solidify more numbers prior to the GOR expiring.
Don’t disagree- what’s magic number of schools we need- 10? By my count - we’d have 8 remaining in doomsday scenario. I don’t consider OR State or Wazzou St really cultural fits for the ACC but that thinking is out the window at this point. Same with bringing in WVU. I don’t see Duke, GT, BC, Cuse getting invites elsewhere along with LoWF- maybe GT to Big Ten or Big 12 if they get rolling in football- SEC doesn’t need them.

Conference realignment has truly become survival of the fittest. I sure hope like hell we're fit prior to the GOR expiring.

We should play Duke for the final game of the season instead of Cuse.
We have many times. Doesn’t matter where it is or how good either team may be that year. It’s a wasted home game for both teams because attendance is so terrible.

We have many times. Doesn’t matter where it is or how good either team may be that year. It’s a wasted home game for both teams because attendance is so terrible.
I think that neither team really wants that game that otherwise generates probably above average (or right at average) revenue to lose any single game ticket value with Thanksgiving weekend.

by adding blue chip academic schools in stanford and Cal, that give the ACC presidents a little wiggle room if they need to add a school with lesser academics such as oregon st and washington st or down the road West Virginia.

by adding blue chip academic schools in stanford and Cal, that give the ACC presidents a little wiggle room if they need to add a school with lesser academics such as oregon st and washington st or down the road West Virginia.
Academics really isn't part of the equation anymore. The charade of student-athlete being student first is over. They're not even hiding it anymore.

We have often played them the last game in recent years. 6 times since 2009. But before that we rarely played them as the last game. It made no sense to have Wake playing Syracuse and Duke playing Pitt last weekend.

Academics really isn't part of the equation anymore. The charade of student-athlete being student first is over. They're not even hiding it anymore.
partially agree, I think the university presidents that voted on expansion loved adding top tier academic schools like STanford and Cal. AD's, fans, TV execs couldn't care less

Still think we’d stand to benefit from adding a regional AAC team. Give me Tulane or Memphis

If we are trying to keep the current ACC together, I don't want more private academic schools in. Let them die on the vine. If we are talking about building an ACC after the "Brands" leave, then go full magnolia league.

If we are trying to keep the current ACC together, I don't want more private academic schools in. Let them die on the vine. If we are talking about building an ACC after the "Brands" leave, then go full magnolia league.
Yes. Some of the takes here are bizarre. An ACC invite is a precious thing. SMU offered to forgo conference revenues for 10 years to get an ACC bid. The ACC is not throwing around bids to Tulane or Memphis or any other school that is not either a home run addition or that agrees to economic terms that bring a large benefit to the current members.

Yes. Some of the takes here are bizarre. An ACC invite is a precious thing. SMU offered to forgo conference revenues for 10 years to get an ACC bid. The ACC is not throwing around bids to Tulane or Memphis or any other school that is not either a home run addition or that agrees to economic terms that bring a large benefit to the current members.
Saying that about Memphis I could get, but why Tulane?

What does Tulane offer?

Is anyone increasing the ACC's revenue so they have rights to Tulane versus WF in football or Tulane versus GT in basketball? LSU owns Louisiana and that state is less than half the size of NC in population. Tulane's fanbase is close to non-existent. Until their recent two year run of success, Tulane couldn't get 15K at their football games.

UAB has a fairly solid basketball tradition, just built a new football stadium last year, and would stretch our geographic foot print a little. I also think they have some untapped potential since the state of Alabama (mainly Bear Bryant's son) has kept a boot on the neck of their football program for decades. I'm not saying it'd be a home run addition, but I think they're definitely worth a second a look if we're talking about schools like Memphis and Tulane.

Last edited:
UAB basically folded their football program a few years ago and had to Frankenstein it after so much outcry. Not interested.

Back