• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

So we are all in agreement that the best course from here now that we have 18 members is to not add any more of this garbage? Cool.

So we are all in agreement that the best course from here now that we have 18 members is to not add any more of this garbage? Cool.
giphy-downsized-medium.gif

UAB basically folded their football program a few years ago and had to Frankenstein it after so much outcry. Not interested.
That "football program folding" was forced upon UAB by the Tuscaloosa crew. The Crimson Tide didn't want yet another football program in the state taking anything more away from tje vaunted Crimson Tide.

That "football program folding" was forced upon UAB by the Tuscaloosa crew. The Crimson Tide didn't want yet another football program in the state taking anything more away from tje vaunted Crimson Tide.
?

Next year, in football, Oregon State and Wazzu will play each other and then seven games against Mountain West opponents. Looks like the plan is to litigate with the other Pac-12 schools with the goal to keep the PAC conference branding rights, and then create their own Pac-whatever number works for them. Interesting that the Beavers and Wazzu will pay the MWC $14 million for the right to play these games in 2024.

Linkage

Next year, in football, Oregon State and Wazzu will play each other and then seven games against Mountain West opponents. Looks like the plan is to litigate with the other Pac-12 schools with the goal to keep the conference branding rights, and then create their own Pac-whatever number works for them. Interesting that the Beavers and Wazzu will pay the MWC $14 million for the right to play these games in 2024.

Linkage
Also interesting in that the MWC would be the likely one to fall if OSU and Wazzu are successful in keeping the name.

Also interesting in that the MWC would be the likely one to fall if OSU and Wazzu are successful in keeping the name.
Yep. It's going to be weird as I doubt that Oregon State and Wazzu would invite all 12 current football members to join the new PAC conference.

UAB has a fairly solid basketball tradition, just built a new football stadium last year, and would stretch our geographic foot print a little. I also think they have some untapped potential since the state of Alabama (mainly Bear Bryant's son) has kept a boot on the neck of their football program for decades. I'm not saying it'd be a home run addition, but I think they're definitely worth a second a look if we're talking about schools like Memphis and Tulane.

britney-confused-gif.gif

If the PAC 2 can keep all of the conference NCAA tournament revenue, which goes to conferences and not individual schools, then that would offset the $14 million football payment. Football tv revenue will be interesting.

UAB has a fairly solid basketball tradition, just built a new football stadium last year, and would stretch our geographic foot print a little. I also think they have some untapped potential since the state of Alabama (mainly Bear Bryant's son) has kept a boot on the neck of their football program for decades. I'm not saying it'd be a home run addition, but I think they're definitely worth a second a look if we're talking about schools like Memphis and Tulane.
i'm in favor of bringing UAB into the conference just so this could be one of the greatest in ACC history

UAB is like the UNC Charlotte of Alabama. I can’t think of a worse addition to the ACC.

Honestly I don’t think the ACC will find itself as the odd one out. Maybe I’m just being a homer but I’d feel a lot more uneasy in the Big 12

How is UAB a satellite campus school? All I’m saying is Alabama has been keeping them down for a reason. Untapped potential. Buy low and build.

Also, Birmingham is a sneaky good foodie town.

Last edited:
NC State and VT are the equivalent of Clemson, GT, Auburn, Purdue and TAMU. They are not the equivalent of UNCC, UAB, USC Upstate or anything like that.
NC State is part of the UNC system just like UNCC, UNCG, UNCA, UNCW, UNC CH, Appalachian St, etc.

Back