• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

And it's another way to get out of the ADs having to pay FCS teams like $500k to $1 million for a game. I'm sure they'd like to replace having to pay some shitty FCS team a bunch of money with guaranteed P5 games that will bring in more at the gate and be way more attractive games for TV.

I know most years will be something like Arizona at home and Purdue away, but those are still probably net winners compared to some random CUSA team.

Those would be better than our annual WGAF-fests against Syracuse, Louisville, BC, and Duke, as well as this year's games against ODU, Norfolk State, and Army (again).

I don't go to many away games, but a weekend in Tucson doesn't sound too bad.

Those would be better than our annual WGAF-fests against Syracuse, Louisville, BC, and Duke, as well as this year's games against ODU, Norfolk State, and Army (again).

I mean, I think Wake fans GAF about those games.

I don't go to many away games, but a weekend in Tucson doesn't sound too bad.

Yeah. Please get this going in the next 10 years or so. My kids will be out of the house. I'll have more traveling flexibility. Planning to do 6 west coast road trips every 12 years would be pretty sweet.

Well they don't show up in person. Makes you wonder.

We've talked about this a lot. But it's a school with 5,000 students, most of whom did not select their undergraduate institution based on sports, and nearly all of them do not live in the area after graduation.

But my point was more that I found it weird that you, as a Wake fan, were referring to those games in that manner.

We've talked about this a lot. But it's a school with 5,000 students, most of whom did not select their undergraduate institution based on sports, and nearly all of them do not live in the area after graduation.

But my point was more that I found it weird that you, as a Wake fan, were referring to those games in that manner.

Mainly because I think those opponents aren't very interesting. There are a bunch of threads about how awful our OOC scheduling is.

Mainly because I think those opponents aren't very interesting. There are a bunch of threads about how awful our OOC scheduling is.

I agree it's bad. I'd much prefer to replace teams like Army and ODU with other Power 5 (4?) opponents, like Vandy. Or even ECU and App. I know you disagree on the latter two, but those matchups are far more interesting than who we end up playing.

I think pretty much all WF football fans give a fuck about Duke, BC, and Louisville. Syracuse maybe not.

I agree it's bad. I'd much prefer to replace teams like Army and ODU with other Power 5 (4?) opponents, like Vandy. Or even ECU and App. I know you disagree on the latter two, but those matchups are far more interesting than who we end up playing.

Well I don’t think Vandy is going to happen now. The two I’ve wanted to play are Tennessee and SC. They are close and people would care. Not happening either.

This speaks volumes to how, possibly if, a small, private school like Wake w/o a national athletics profile will ultimately function in an environment limited to 50 or so "big-time" programs. Depth has always been a problem at Wake, witness how we've had numerous seasons where we get out to a 7-1/6-2 start, only to stumble down the stretch as the opponents get tougher and injuries take their toll. We should easily get out to a 2-0 start vs. ODU and NS before taking on FSU, including some rest for the starters and reps for the back-ups. Hopefully the Army game will also allow us to get out relatively healthy with a W before we stare at a loaded November. Replace those three teams with an occasional power like Penn State and then a few like Arizona or Rutgers, and our recruiting of the 2-3 deep will need to take a significant upgrade for us to still be putting a quality product on the field in the back half of the season.

i think west point/michie stadium is a good road game to see at least once. im going

This speaks volumes to how, possibly if, a small, private school like Wake w/o a national athletics profile will ultimately function in an environment limited to 50 or so "big-time" programs. Depth has always been a problem at Wake, witness how we've had numerous seasons where we get out to a 7-1/6-2 start, only to stumble down the stretch as the opponents get tougher and injuries take their toll. We should easily get out to a 2-0 start vs. ODU and NS before taking on FSU, including some rest for the starters and reps for the back-ups. Hopefully the Army game will also allow us to get out relatively healthy with a W before we stare at a loaded November. Replace those three teams with an occasional power like Penn State and then a few like Arizona or Rutgers, and our recruiting of the 2-3 deep will need to take a significant upgrade for us to still be putting a quality product on the field in the back half of the season.

How many seasons has this actually happened where Wake started 7-1 or 6-2?

I think pretty much all WF football fans give a fuck about Duke, BC, and Louisville. Syracuse maybe not.

I mean I care in the sense that I want to beat them, but I want to beat everyone we play. There is basically zero chance I ever travel to Lousiville or BC for a game. I only go watch us play at Duke because I live in Durham and they basically give tickets away for free with happy meals here.

Now a trip to see us play in Ann Arbor, Columbus, Eugene, LA, Seattle? I'm making at least some of those trips.

I remember when ESPN used to allow fans to rank the Top 25 and you could drag and drop teams to arrange your Top 25. I would love to see the average rankings among all Wake fans of teams you'd like to see us play every year. For me it is easy. I have always loved college football and the regional rivalries that came with it. Ranking the rest of the ACC in terms of who I'd like us to play every year (putting aside their rankings) here is what that would look like for me.

1) UNC
2) NC State
3) Duke
4) Clemson
5) Florida State
6) Georgia Tech
7) Virginia
8) BC
9) Miami
10) Virginia Tech
11) Louisville
12) Pittsburgh
13) Syracuse

I'd probably slot Notre Dame in there at #3 above Duke if they were a full time member. BC is only as high as they are because they're up in my neck of the woods and I loved having them join the conference.

No worries everyone we are running the show
bb1dc04bc884ebeebf0c8cf6b94d8481.jpg

I mean I care in the sense that I want to beat them, but I want to beat everyone we play. There is basically zero chance I ever travel to Lousiville or BC for a game. I only go watch us play at Duke because I live in Durham and they basically give tickets away for free with happy meals here.

Now a trip to see us play in Ann Arbor, Columbus, Eugene, LA, Seattle? I'm making at least some of those trips.

Louisville is a much more fun road trip than fucking Columbus Ohio.

I would not put the three service academies insame category as other G5 schools. They have cachet that goes far beyond their size. And there is something to be said for playing schools whose student-athletes know they will be using the student part much more than the athlete once they graduate.

Back