• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I would not put the three service academies insame category as other G5 schools. They have cachet that goes far beyond their size. And there is something to be said for playing schools whose student-athletes know they will be using the student part much more than the athlete once they graduate.

No. It’s a complete waste of a game and those aren’t students. They are soldiers. Not the same thing.

Those would be better than our annual WGAF-fests against Syracuse, Louisville, BC, and Duke, as well as this year's games against ODU, Norfolk State, and Army (again).

I don't care about playing BC or Syracuse other than they are in our division and games we need to win. I do care about L-ville (because of their cheating I want to kick their ass) and Duke.

I would not put the three service academies insame category as other G5 schools. They have cachet that goes far beyond their size. And there is something to be said for playing schools whose student-athletes know they will be using the student part much more than the athlete once they graduate.

For a weekend road trip, 100% agree. I'll take Annapolis, Co. Springs and West Point over Columbus, South Bend and Ann Arbor any day.

So many pussies. Left nut to go play Ohio State on their home field during a season.

The AAC commish made a statement yesterday whining about not being part of the "Alliance" saying it's something they should be a part of. I feel bad for the Big XII and AAC, but whining isn't the way out of this mess. With all the changes in the college sports landscape, it's a good time for a lower conference to innovate out of this mess.

Last edited:
I think this is good news for the Big 12. They are still contractually a P5 conference. I bet they add 2-4 AAC teams and become a fun conference. They’ll be the clear #5 but that’s ok for them. Although I do assume Kansas will leave sooner rather than later.

If the Big 12 went after Boise St, App, UCF and Houston, then that could be a pretty entertaining conference. Probably better than the Coastal.

If the Big 12 went after Boise St, App, UCF and Houston, then that could be a pretty entertaining conference. Probably better than the Coastal.

I don’t think App is anywhere close to being on the radar. Cincy and Memphis are probables IMO.

I think this is good news for the Big 12. They are still contractually a P5 conference. I bet they add 2-4 AAC teams and become a fun conference. They’ll be the clear #5 but that’s ok for them. Although I do assume Kansas will leave sooner rather than later.

I agree they'll be a clear #5, but an undefeated Baylor, TCU, or whoever could still breakthrough. I don't think they need to add any AAC teams unless they have trouble scheduling 5 non-con games. The Big XII needs to take an affirmative step toward shoring up their noncon schedule. Perhaps they should make peace with the SEC and try to get every Big XII one non-con game vs. SEC on top of restoring rivalries vs. the SEC and Big Ten. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised that's not being publicly discussed. The Big XII really needs the SEC to play 8 conference games and two non-con vs. the Big XII including games like Texas and Texas A&M vs. Baylor, TCU, and Texas Tech, Kansas vs. Missouri, Oklahoma vs. Ok State. The Big XII needs to position themselves as an SEC scheduling partner, particularly if the Alliance is going to try to tie down scheduling.

Save the championship year under Grobe, you can argue that the 2016-2020 seasons are our best stretch ever(5 consecutive bowls).
Here's our regular-season records, conference and noncon:
2016 3-5/3-1
2017 4-4/3-1
2018 3-5/3-1
2019 4-4/4-0
2020 3-4/1-0

So replace our current nonconference schedules with presumably teams closer ability-wise to what we see in the ACC, and we've got some work to do just to go .500 and qualify for a bowl. That's not LOWF, but it is reality. Maybe being part of the remaining "power" conferences and the separation of the others to a lower rung will result in an uptick in our recruiting, b/c we're going to need it. As I said in an earlier thread, not only must we recruit at a higher level, we'll need more of them b/c depth vs.an 11-12 game "power" schedule will have its wear and tear on our 2-3 deep.

Why? Doesn’t seem like the right time to spend a bunch of money moving to a larger market.

I don’t see why the location of a conference headquarters matters unless you’re wasting a ton of money on renting office space that could be going to the schools.

This article portrays a battle between the Big XII and AAC to be the 5th P5.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32090530/pac-12-says-not-pursuing-plans-expansion

“The Pac-12's decision is aimed at stabilizing realignment, but the future of the Big 12 remains a question.

If the Big 12 is able to lure in valuable programs -- most likely from the American Athletic Conference -- and remain a Power 5 entity, the overall landscape would remain relatively stable.

If the AAC is able to hold the upper hand, though, and lure Big 12 schools to make a case to become a Power 5 league, it could create another tremor that might cause the Pac-12 to rethink its position.”

Back