• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Would a move to Charlotte really cost that much? Also, if it really matter the $EC would be in Atlanta by now.

This article portrays a battle between the Big XII and AAC to be the 5th P5.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32090530/pac-12-says-not-pursuing-plans-expansion

“The Pac-12's decision is aimed at stabilizing realignment, but the future of the Big 12 remains a question.

If the Big 12 is able to lure in valuable programs -- most likely from the American Athletic Conference -- and remain a Power 5 entity, the overall landscape would remain relatively stable.

If the AAC is able to hold the upper hand, though, and lure Big 12 schools to make a case to become a Power 5 league, it could create another tremor that might cause the Pac-12 to rethink its position.”

The P5 is going to go to P4 once everything is realigned. The biggest schools are out of the Big XII. That will impact recruiting severely. And if this scheduling alliance or whatever holds up, that will impact recruiting even more. You can still get a really good team every now and then from the remnants, but not a really good conference.

Assuming that another team from the Big XII doesn't bolt within the next year (a big IF), adding Cinci, Memphis, SMU, and Houston lessens the blow, but still makes it a novelty conference. They lost their biggest fish.

Big 12 discussing adding BYU per The Athletic.

Might make sense for the Big 12 to invite BYU for football only. The Cougars are only an independent in football, and Provo, Utah is not a convenient locale for any of the Big 12 schools to travel to. Is it worth sending all of the Big 12 Olympic sports teams to Provo?

Might make sense for the Big 12 to invite BYU for football only. The Cougars are only an independent in football, and Provo, Utah is not a convenient locale for any of the Big 12 schools to travel to. Is it worth sending all of the Big 12 Olympic sports teams to Provo?

They all go to West Virginia already

BYU would probably replace a Texas school (likely SMU) being pondered as a replacement.

Are you saying SMU is going somewhere?

At some point there should be football only conferences for pretty much all teams. Schools are wasting so much money sending small sports teams all over the country when there are plenty of regional teams/leagues that could be put together for the non revenue sports.

Does it really make sense for say Miami to fly their men's tennis or women's volleyball team to Boston College for a match? Or Texas Tech to send any non football team to West Virginia.

When you start looking at some of the distances of conferences like the American and Sunbelt it's crazy too.

Are you saying SMU is going somewhere?

The opposite. Depending on how many schools the Irate 8 want to bring in to save the Big XII. If it's 4 and one is BYU, then I think you're looking at UH, Cinci, Memphis, and UCF duking it out for the other 4 spots.

At some point there should be football only conferences for pretty much all teams. Schools are wasting so much money sending small sports teams all over the country when there are plenty of regional teams/leagues that could be put together for the non revenue sports.

Does it really make sense for say Miami to fly their men's tennis or women's volleyball team to Boston College for a match? Or Texas Tech to send any non football team to West Virginia.

When you start looking at some of the distances of conferences like the American and Sunbelt it's crazy too.

When the ACC expanded, I remember one of the presidents--think it was BC's president--saying one benefit was that all teams would have to fly to most or all of their away games, which would be safer than traveling by bus.

If this "alliance" helps to purge some of the dogshit non-conference games I'm all for it.

Our future non-conference foes include marquee programs such as:

Liberty
Army
ODU
UConn
Northern Illinois
Tulane
Georgia State

I'm assuming we keep an annual I-AA game, but the other three slots could be much more appealing.

Wake has much to lose and little to gain by playing Liberty, Army and Ga State, all teams capable of beating us. As to the others, playing a weak OOC schedule hurts us in the long run. I'd much rather see Wake v Rutgers or Wake v Cal, for example, than any of them.

Wake has much to lose and little to gain by playing Liberty, Army and Ga State, all teams capable of beating us. As to the others, playing a weak OOC schedule hurts us in the long run. I'd much rather see Wake v Rutgers or Wake v Cal, for example, than any of them.

Rutgers isn’t a weak OOC opponent?
At the end of the day I still think wins are the most important thing.

Rutgers isn’t a weak OOC opponent?
At the end of the day I still think wins are the most important thing.

Rutgers is P5 but agree, not that strong. Most of all I agree about wins and feel like I’m in the minority on this board. I’ve felt for a long time that Wake Forest football is associated with losing, and we need to establish many years of just racking up winning seasons and going to bowls to overcome that. Not to mention it’s just fun to win.

Others make the argument that it’s risky to play teams you could lose to anyway, and the losses to those teams look worse. Which is true. And why try to get to a bowl game against a good opponent at the end of the year when you can just schedule that opponent at the beginning of the year. I see those arguments as well and think it’s a valid debate.

But in the end I want to build up a tradition of winning, which brings recruits and sets us up for harder and more enticing schedules down the road. The Alliance may end up forcing that upon us anyway.

Wake playing a good opponent in a bowl game in December gets much more publicity than playing that sameteam in September.

Wake playing a good opponent in a bowl game in December gets much more publicity than playing that sameteam in September.

Agreed. And we get to play that good opponent by racking up wins however possible.

During our 5-year bowl streak, the best we've done in-conference was 4-4 (two seasons) meaning every season we've had to go 3-1 or 4-0 noncon just to be above .500; 2-2 to make a bowl, which we did. So we have a lot to gain by playing these teams:
Huge chance and expectation of winning
Enhanced (and historically in most cases our only) route to bowl eligibility
Games that in many cases allow us to rest our starters, avoid injuries and give reps to those on the 2-3 deep

As I stated earlier, maybe scheduling all P5 teams plus those teams soon to be outside/looking in will result in Wake having a considerable uptick in recruiting. But absent that, somebody is going to have to show me based on our past results and current culture and talent level that replacing the teams you mentioned above with 3 or 4 from the PAC12 and Big Ten is going to give us 7 or more wins in an average season.

We've had this discussion many times here. First of all, there's no guarantee we'll play a good opponent in December. We've lucked out in that respect. Playing multiple Sun Belt and lower-tier AAC teams just to get to a bowl game vs. an AAC team is unsatisfying as a fan. Second, scheduling in fear of winning 5 FBS games to barely make a bowl is also unsatisfying. Third, bowl games don't really matter for program rep beyond maintaining a streak. Winning games against good opponents in September elevates the program.

We've had this discussion many times here. First of all, there's no guarantee we'll play a good opponent in December. We've lucked out in that respect. Playing multiple Sun Belt and lower-tier AAC teams just to get to a bowl game vs. an AAC team is unsatisfying as a fan. Second, scheduling in fear of winning 5 FBS games to barely make a bowl is also unsatisfying. Third, bowl games don't really matter for program rep beyond maintaining a streak. Winning games against good opponents in September elevates the program.

Apparently our coach and AD disagree with that opinion, or if not, why don't they schedule P5's and strong Group of 5's on a regular basis?

Fans aren’t allowed to disagree with the AD and coaches?

Back