• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

George O'Leary knows all about karma biting you in the ass. How long was he head coach of Notre Dame? Five whole days?

mistakes-were-made-jensen-ackles.gif

Big XII membership over the last decade has gone from:

Kansas --------> Kansas
K State --------> K State
Iowa State ----> Iowa State
Texas Tech ----> Texas Tech
OK State ------> OK State
Baylor ---------> Baylor

Colorado ------> WVU
Nebraska -----> TCU
Missouri ------> UCF
ATM ----------> Houston
Oklahoma ----> Cincy
Texas ---------> BYU

That is... not an improvement.

In terms of rep, yes. In terms of actual performance this decade, it’s not as far a step down as you think.

Do people still want to give that league an automatic playoff bid ?

I'd prefer giving Big 12 a bid instead of having it open (prob to SEC). The auto bid helps those conferences recruit - "you can win a championship here" - and it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. #starvetheSEC

Yeah, why have the best teams in a playoff for the championship anyway ?

Conference Expansion: Texas & Oklahoma to the SEC?

In terms of rep, yes. In terms of actual performance this decade, it’s not as far a step down as you think.

To that point, here are the Top 12 finishes of the old Big XII teams vs. the new Big XII teams from 2011-2020. Eleven from the old including seven from OU and nine from the new.

A&M - 2012, 2020
Missouri - 2013
Oklahoma - 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Texas - 2018
Colorado - none
Nebraska - none

UCF - 2013, 2017, 2018
TCU - 2014, 2015, 2017
Houston - 2015
Cincinnati - 2020
BYU - 2020
WVU - none

(Fixed)

Last edited:
To that point, here are the Top 12 finishes of the old Big XII teams vs. the new Big XII teams from 2011-2020. Nine each.

A&M - 2012, 2020
Missouri - 2013
Oklahoma - 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Texas - 2018
Colorado - none
Nebraska - none

UCF - 2013, 2017, 2018
TCU - 2014, 2015, 2017
Houston - 2015
Cincinnati - 2020
BYU - 2020
WVU - none

Oklahoma made the 4-team playoff in 2019 (lost to LSU), so I'm pretty sure they were top-12 that year.

To that point, here are the Top 12 finishes of the old Big XII teams vs. the new Big XII teams from 2011-2020. Nine each.

A&M - 2012, 2020
Missouri - 2013
Oklahoma - 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Texas - 2018

UCF - 2013, 2017, 2018
TCU - 2014, 2015, 2017
Houston - 2015
Cincinnati - 2020
BYU - 2020

It would be great if football reps were based upon merit. They should be.

Even though Texas football has been a non-factor for a decade, and A&M has been less of a factor than TCU or even UCF, in recent years, merit and performance alone don't build reps in college football. Texas and Texas A&M will always be the big swinging dicks among the schools in that state, and nationally, even if TCU or Houston perform better on the field. There is a reason that the vaunted SEC worked back channels to bring in Texas and OU, and would laugh at an application from any of the schools that just applied to the Big 12. More than any other sport, in college football, actual performance on the field means the least in building a national brand.

Last edited:
Oklahoma made the 4-team playoff in 2019 (lost to LSU), so I'm pretty sure they were top-12 that year.

OU also went 9-2 in 2020, won the Big XII, beat Florida 55-20 in the Sugar Bowl, and finished ranked #6, which is inside the Top 12.

It would be great if football reps were based upon merit. They should be.

Even though Texas football has been a non-factor for a decade, and A&M has been less of a factor than TCU or even UCF, in recent years, merit and performance alone don't build reps in college football. Texas and Texas A&M will always be the big swinging dicks among the schools in that state, and nationally, even if TCU or Houston perform better on the field. There is a reason that the vaunted SEC worked back channels to bring in Texas and OU, and would laugh at an application from any of the schools that just applied to the Big 12. More than any other sport, in college football, actual performance on the field means the least in building a national brand.

I think the main reason the SEC brought in Texas and OU is that Texas and OU called up and asked to join.

9 of the 12 teams on the new big 12 have been to a New Years 6 bowl on the last decade. The conference won’t be as good or lucrative but it’ll be a deeper, more exiting league that isn’t just dependent on 2 teams. And I think they’re top to bottom as good as the acc or pac 12.

The move guts the AAC, in both football and basketball, they are left with:

Memphis
SMU
ECU
USF
Temple
Tulane
Tulsa
Navy (football only)

Guessing the AAC will try to raid the Sun Belt and take Coastal and App

Yeah, why have the best teams in a playoff for the championship anyway ?

The best SEC team would have already been determined. That is known. What is unknown is how good the teams in other leagues are. I'd much rather see UCF get a bid than see another UGa/LSU entry. They would have already shown they are not as good as Alabama.

Memphis
SMU
ECU
USF
Temple
Tulane
Tulsa
Navy (football only)

So you're saying Memphis is trash ?

Memphis
SMU
ECU
USF
Temple
Tulane
Tulsa
Navy (football only)

I'm not sure how close, if at all, ECU was to joining the ACC during expansion, but boy, had they gotten on that train, their fortunes would be totally different.

I'm not sure how close, if at all, ECU was to joining the ACC during expansion, but boy, had they gotten on that train, their fortunes would be totally different.

Not at all. Like, Wake was closer to winning a natty under [Redacted] that ECU was to joining the ACC.

ECU is fortunate to be in the AAC.

Back