• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

There was no way the other ACC schools would allow a 5th NC school. I think ECU is an attractive school for another conference though, not for what they are now, but what they can become. NC is a destination state and it has good high school players. ECU is a large land grant school with large alumni base that loves football. They could justify their invitation in TV ratings. There are programs ahead of ECU here, but none that can't be toppled with a good coach and the recruiting cache of being in a good conference.

Arkansas gives Tejas a welcome to the SEC beat down. Lol. Hogs get their Rivalry with the horns back.

USF not UCF.

Is the revenue boost from adding those teams as opposed to adding UAB, App, Georgia State, Charlotte, and FAU worth the additional travel expense? Conferences may as well not exist if teams are traveling from California to Florida for a week day volleyball match. And it's not like an east coast swing is all that convenient for playing multiple games either.

This looks like the AAC is trying to take down the Mountain West to keep that "Power 6" dream alive instead of picking up good programs and travel partners from the Sun Belt to maintain build a decent football conference.

Here's write up from yesterday about possible scenarios for the AAC, Sun Belt, and Mountain West.

We're already down to a Power 4. Power 6 ain't happening.

If this "alliance" helps to purge some of the dogshit non-conference games I'm all for it.

Our future non-conference foes include marquee programs such as:

Liberty
Army
ODU
UConn
Northern Illinois
Tulane
Georgia State

I'm assuming we keep an annual I-AA game, but the other three slots could be much more appealing.

UConn may not even have a team. They just told all the coaches they have no job next year. Clean Sweep.

I’m surprised Memphis is not included. They typically have good football and basketball, are relatively close, they also open up the Nashville market to Big XII because it is home to a ton of Memphis alumni, and they have all that FedEx money. UCF only kind of makes sense but that would be plan B for me if one of the other mentioned schools decline.

Late comment. Memphis does not open up the Nashville market. I grew up in Nashville, have family there. Nashville is a UT town and you never hear anyone talk about Memphis. Memphis is bigger in Mississippi and Arkansas than in Middle Tennessee.

Late comment. Memphis does not open up the Nashville market. I grew up in Nashville, have family there. Nashville is a UT town and you never hear anyone talk about Memphis. Memphis is bigger in Mississippi and Arkansas than in Middle Tennessee.

this is correct, i live in Nashville and as wild bill mentioned it is a UT/Kentucky and very last Vandy city. nobody even mentions Memphis

Understanding that football will always drive the expansion, Memphis has assembled a ton of basketball talent under Penny this year. If the roster remains healthy and eligible, they have the guns to make a Houston type of NCAA run in March. Think that Houston's Final 4 appearance, may have helped their Big 12 candidacy.

this is correct, i live in Nashville and as wild bill mentioned it is a UT/Kentucky and very last Vandy city. nobody even mentions Memphis

Could you make the argument that even Middle TN has a bigger following than Vandy in Nashville? It felt like it to me the times I've visited, but I don't live there and one of those times was during Middle TN's homecoming.

Could you make the argument that even Middle TN has a bigger following than Vandy in Nashville? It felt like it to me the times I've visited, but I don't live there and one of those times was during Middle TN's homecoming.

You could definitely make that case and with a straight face. MTSU has been a popular destination for high school grads in Nashville for decades. Vandy for some reason has never enjoyed particularly warm feelings from Nashville. There's sort of a "we are Vanderbilt" attitude - and I went there.

MTSU has a 93% acceptance rate and has 27,000 students. Vandy has a 9% acceptance rate and 12,000 students. Most of Nashville has no shot to be affiliated with Vanderbilt. Selectivity leads to resentment.

MTSU has a 93% acceptance rate and has 27,000 students. Vandy has a 9% acceptance rate and 12,000 students. Most of Nashville has no shot to be affiliated with Vanderbilt. Selectivity leads to resentment.

Hmm, sounds slightly familiar minus "resentment." With WF it is more of an ambivalence for some of those not directly tied to the school. WF has surely never taken an approach of not trying to be fully integrated in the fabric of the city--Medical Center, Innovation Quarter, Joel Coliseum (which is still The Joel as opposed to The Deacon Den or Shah Coliseum).
After all, the great Reynolds Foundation of W-S paid to have the school relocate to the city without which the city would not be as vibrant as it is.

Hmm, sounds slightly familiar minus "resentment." With WF it is more of an ambivalence for some of those not directly tied to the school. WF has surely never taken an approach of not trying to be fully integrated in the fabric of the city--Medical Center, Innovation Quarter, Joel Coliseum (which is still The Joel as opposed to The Deacon Den or Shah Coliseum).
After all, the great Reynolds Foundation of W-S paid to have the school relocate to the city without which the city would not be as vibrant as it is.

Didn't WSJ have an article about a mural of the deacon as a Robber Baron forcing out minorities to take over the city?

https://journalnow.com/news/local/h...cle_c918fc8a-17fa-11ec-a0a4-f71c1edc934b.html

Lol, fuck that guy for criticizing Wake Forest for trying to keep W-S from turning into a ghost town.

Lol, fuck that guy for criticizing Wake Forest for trying to keep W-S from turning into a ghost town.

No shit. Dude is an artist taking $150 commissions and he thinks Wake is keeping him down. He should be happy that he got double paid in this case to display his shitty work.

No shit. Dude is an artist taking $150 commissions and he thinks Wake is keeping him down. He should be happy that he got double paid in this case to display his shitty work.

Wake should commission a mural called "Dicktown", with that guy's image running with a bag of dicks in his hand.

One difference is that in W-S Wake/Baptist Medical is probably the largest, or nearly so, employer. That is not the case with Vanderbilt and Nashville. The relationship between town and gown in Nashville is warmer now than it once was, but there remains a certain "Vanderbilt attitude" that many non-Vandy people find off-putting.

Back