• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Why would ESPN want to pay SEC price for FSU and Clemson when they can pay ACC price?
The assumption is it's worth it for ESPN to pay for FSU and Clemson to play an SEC schedule. It would be part of their ESPN Super League ploy to counter the Fox Big Ten Super League.

They are ruining the sport. There will be an increase in games between top tier programs but a huge decrease in the regional rivalry games that make college football so interesting.
And a lot of those people whose schools are left out will stop watching a level of sports that they are no longer involved in.

Not to mention possibly stop watching their own schools if the level is low enough that it seems pointless to plan your weekends around it with so many other options. See Ivy League, etc.

Not to mention possibly stop watching their own schools if the level is low enough that it seems pointless to plan your weekends around it with so many other options. See Ivy League, etc.
It would also simply be more difficult to watch if you are at a lower level. No free streaming through ACCNX for example.

Right. One thing I wonder about is how many fans watch SEC and Big Ten football around a different team. I'm a college football fan. But if I didn't prioritize Wake football, I'd be out doing different things. I wouldn't be at the TV for the big games before and after the Wake game.

Regular season basketball is there, but the tournament format is still good enough that it is the only thing keeping the sport afloat

Thus why college football is hurrying to put a 16 team tournament in place.

I don't think it's been ruined, yet, although a lot of great rivalries have been endangered or ended because of TV money. It's an elitist attitude, but the WalMart fan won over the alumni fans.
This is 100% true. All of this is catered toward people who didn't actually attend these schools. I wonder if that makes some of my argument null and void. If they don't have that connection then if the school gets left out these folks may easily move over to some other big name school.

This is 100% true. All of this is catered toward people who didn't actually attend these schools. I wonder if that makes some of my argument null and void. If they don't have that connection then if the school gets left out these folks may easily move over to some other big name school.
And how long with Tarhole foosball fans tolerate being the bottom of the SEC or B1G? They don't even really compete now in the ACC.

And how long with Tarhole foosball fans tolerate being the bottom of the SEC or B1G? They don't even really compete now in the ACC.
Guess they'll continue pulling for App State because surely App State has a brand the SEC and B1G want!

I mean they are absolutely banking on the fact that casual fans tuning in to see matchups between big schools will be larger than the hardcore fans who tune out because their schools are not competing anymore.

Are there that many casual fans that just switch allegiances as the wind blows? I'm a Wake fan since I can remember. During the redacted/Manning years I tried my best to pull for other teams but I couldn't do it. I don't watch sports in general unless I have a vested interest. Wake basketball, football, and Atlanta Braves baseball. If they ended tomorrow I'd probably just quit watching sports all together.

Back