• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I mean they are absolutely banking on the fact that casual fans tuning in to see matchups between big schools will be larger than the hardcore fans who tune out because their schools are not competing anymore.
Right. It is by no means a guaranteed win for ESPN and other networks. And if they make the "premier" conference(s) too much like an NFL minor league, it's a real gamble. We know how minor league football has done in the past.

Except it will be lacking the underdogs that make people tune into March Madness.

College football doesn’t like underdog stories at least not ones that seriously threatened the current hierarchy.

The 16 team tournament is the latest expansion of the postseason that started with conference championship games. That serves to drum up more interest in the regular season.

College football doesn’t like underdog stories at least not ones that seriously threatened the current hierarchy.

The 16 team tournament is the latest expansion of the postseason that started with conference championship games. That serves to drum up more interest in the regular season.
The fans do, I think. boise state's Fiesta Bowl is more memorable than almost any game not usc-ut of the BCS era.

Because that was a meaningless bowl game.

Because that was a meaningless bowl game.
I still think fans are hungry for an underdog. It's just much, much tougher for an underdog to compete at that level and nearly impossible for them to even make it to the party.

All of this seems contrived to me. Can't believe that ESPN would be dumb enough to openly manipulate FSU, Clemson to leave the ACC. Then, further manipulate the SEC to accept those two.

Among other things, ESPN would expose itself to intentionally interfering with contract relations (the ACC Constitution). In brief, a third party that acts to destroy an existing contractual relationship, is liable to the contractual party (the ACC) victimized, by the "breach of the contract".

For example, a homeowner and painting contractor have a contract for a house painting job. Nosy neighbor learns of the written agreement, steps in and asserts a bunch of lies about the painting contractor to convince the home-owner to hire the neighbor's brother-in-law's painting company to do the job. Home-owner terminates that painting contract and hires nosy neighbors brother-in-law. In such a case, the initial painting contractor would have a cause of action against the nosy neighbor for interfering with the first home-owner/painting contractor contract. The damages would be the profit that the painting contractor would have made on the job.

The ACC has demonstrated its willingness to sue to protect itself, and if all of this is true, I would like the ACC's chances of winning such a case against ESPN, particularly in an NC Court. The damages would be ridiculously high, but ESPN/Disney is a deep pocket (even these days).

Obviously, ESPN has back-channelled to fuck the ACC for years, but from the string of twitter posts above, this isn't back-channelling, this is direct interference to either destroy or cause severe damage to the ACC. Naturally, the ACC can agree to settle and forgive its claim rights, but if ESPN (and Clemson and FSU have been led to try to leave the conference as a result of ESPN's efforts) has acted this openly to get two members to leave the ACC, have no idea why the ACC would settle. Further, have no idea why ESPN would risk such liability to do this.

Last edited:
Are there that many casual fans that just switch allegiances as the wind blows? I'm a Wake fan since I can remember. During the redacted/Manning years I tried my best to pull for other teams but I couldn't do it. I don't watch sports in general unless I have a vested interest. Wake basketball, football, and Atlanta Braves baseball. If they ended tomorrow I'd probably just quit watching sports all together.
This is it exactly for me. I haven't watched more than 1 inning of MLB in a couple of years, barely pay attention to the NBA (other than sort of being aware of how Wake alum are doing) and tune into a few minutes of the Panthers' games only sporadically. I feel no allegiance to any of them and basically just don't care. Fifteen years ago I would never have thought that would happen.
If Wake were irrelevant my interest in college/professional sports would be essentially nonexistent.

This may happen anyway if college athletes become merely professionals wearing the name of the school on their chest.

This is it exactly for me. I haven't watched more than 1 inning of MLB in a couple of years, barely pay attention to the NBA (other than sort of being aware of how Wake alum are doing) and tune into a few minutes of the Panthers' games only sporadically. I feel no allegiance to any of them and basically just don't care. Fifteen years ago I would never have thought that would happen.
If Wake were irrelevant my interest in college/professional sports would be essentially nonexistent.

This may happen anyway if college athletes become merely professionals wearing the name of the school on their chest.
Did you used to watch those other leagues? If so, why did you stop? I don’t watch any NBA or NFL but I never have, primarily because I didn’t have a rooting interest. The Braves did well in becoming the team of the south. The Panthers I was honestly too old to snap my fingers and suddenly care. The Hornets no one cared about in my part of SC.

Keep in mind that the tweet referenced above is from 'The Dude' - a longtime WV kook.
He has seldom had any real information at all. He mostly just makes stuff up and has a huge butthurt for the ACC because it did not take WV last decade.

Did you used to watch those other leagues? If so, why did you stop? I don’t watch any NBA or NFL but I never have, primarily because I didn’t have a rooting interest. The Braves did well in becoming the team of the south. The Panthers I was honestly too old to snap my fingers and suddenly care. The Hornets no one cared about in my part of SC.
I know you weren't responding to me, but I've never been a huge football fan so I rarely watch NFL. Never watched NBA except during playoffs, especially in the 90s. Don't watch it at all now. Love college hoops and MLB baseball but I don't watch many Braves games now because of Bally.

Couple other points on this whole thread by 'The Dude'.

ESPN cannot renegotiate with the ACC unless the number of teams drops below 14. That is in the contract. So just Clemson and FSU leaving would not trigger their ability to renegotiate the contract. They would have to simply pay the remaining members the same amount (with 2 fewer mouths to feed). If they did this then in all likelihood ESPN would lose other programs it values to non-ESPN networks.

ESPN has to pick up the option by Feb 2025. If it choses not to, ACC would have until 2027 to shop its media rights and get a new contract. It's not like all of a sudden ACC would have no options.

ESPN cannot renegotiate with the ACC unless the number of teams drops below 14. That is in the contract. So just Clemson and FSU leaving would not trigger their ability to renegotiate the contract. They would have to simply pay the remaining members the same amount (with 2 fewer mouths to feed). If they did this then in all likelihood ESPN would lose other programs it values to non-ESPN networks.

ESPN has to pick up the option by Feb 2025. If it choses not to, ACC would have until 2027 to shop its media rights and get a new contract. It's not like all of a sudden ACC would have no options.

Yep. We've got options.

Mitt should buy a network: "WAKE" ;)

I like/maybe love Wake sports, but I also like professional sports b/c it's the best of the best competing at the highest level. Same reason I go to major studio movies and large venue concerts, but doesn't mean I can't enjoy some local theater or a garage band at the local pub. So hoping that wherever Wake ends up on the college sports spectrum that I'll be able to find enjoyment and a rooting interest, regardless if we're still at the Power level or not.

If ESPN doesn’t pick up the option, is the GOR dead or is it only dead if the ACC doesn’t negotiate another contract?

I used to watch A LOT of baseball. It is still probably my favorite. I've just sort of drifted away from MLB, in part because of labor disputes.
Never have been a big NBA fan. I would follow certain players more than teams. Tried to get into the Hornets, but never really could. Then they moved to New Orleans.
As to the Panthers, I was one of the suckers who paid for an original PSL. If the statues of Panthers are still outside the stadium, my name is on one of them.

I would be anxious to see if one of the streamers decides to go all in.

I think it's the latter. The GOR is the leverage the ACC has to negotiate media rights deals. Seems stupid to have the GOR voided because a media deal concluded.
Aren’t the obligations under the GOR tied to what is necessary to allow the ACC to meet its obligations under the ESPN agreement? I could have sworn that’s what the Clemson complaint said. I guess that technically wouldn’t mean the GOR expires, but there wouldn’t be any obligations under the ESPN agreement when it expires.

Back