• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I used to watch A LOT of baseball. It is still probably my favorite. I've just sort of drifted away from MLB, in part because of labor disputes.
Never have been a big NBA fan. I would follow certain players more than teams. Tried to get into the Hornets, but never really could. Then they moved to New Orleans.
As to the Panthers, I was one of the suckers who paid for an original PSL. If the statues of Panthers are still outside the stadium, my name is on one of them.
North Carolina has been and will probably always be a college basketball state, with NBA fan interest far behind. But if the NBA ping-pong balls had fallen the Hornets way with the firt pick instead of the 2nd last year, I think that dynamic would have been forever altered by having Wemby in Charlotte.

North Carolina has been and will probably always be a college basketball state, with NBA fan interest far behind. But if the NBA ping-pong balls had fallen the Hornets way with the firt pick instead of the 2nd last year, I think that dynamic would have been forever altered by having Wemby in Charlotte.
This is a better discussion for the NBA thread, but, while Wemby is a physical freak, Brandon Miller is a spectacular basketball player, and the Spurs and Hornets have the exact same number of wins with their respective 1-2 rookies and otherwise shitty/injured teams. As a Hornets season ticket holder, I no longer have any Wembyenvy. If the Hornets fail to become a playoff team over the next several years, it won't be because they didn't get Wemby.

I mean they are absolutely banking on the fact that casual fans tuning in to see matchups between big schools will be larger than the hardcore fans who tune out because their schools are not competing anymore.
I also bet (ouch) they're banking on the recent surge in gambling to provide the viewing numbers they need

Wonder how many of the rightmost teams would face relegation every year. In soccer, it's usually ~3 per 20 teams. 3 per 10 is also 3 per 70, which feels low in this case; that's almost no turnover. But if only 10 teams are eligible to be dropped, you can't drop all 10. Maybe top half stays up?

I think the plan is for it to be the top 10 G5 teams.

That super league misses the point of profitable football programs wanting to break away from less profitable ones.

That super league misses the point of profitable football programs wanting to break away from less profitable ones.

I think the plan included more revenue for bigger programs.

I don’t think they are going to be satisfied with any configuration they view as revenue sharing - hopefully i’m wrong.

The big dogs are already revenue sharing with the Vandys and Northwesterns.

The big dogs are already revenue sharing with the Vandys and Northwesterns.
The SEC and Big 10 aren’t in danger of dissolving because the majority of those conference members constitute an extremely profitable entity. There’s 0% chance that a financial reconfiguration would include Vandy and Northwestern.

I doubt the B1G or the SEC would agree to this idea. Maybe if all schools shared the revenue from the regular season and the 16 playoff teams shared the money from the playoffs, the big dogs from the past few years would see enough money to OK the idea. Given a choice, Georgia, Alabama. Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, FSU, Oklahoma, Texas etc might prefer to not share with their respective leagues. Greed is the motivating factor with the present turmoil. Divide the playoff pie with the payout determined by the teams that are selected and the teams that advance. Of course, you need to win to get the benefits. An eight team playoff between conference champios would be even more enriching to the schools that advance.

Back