• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

NC State.

And it becomes survival of the fittest. Since Wake doesn’t have any state government ties (i.e. UNC-NCSU package deal), I’d pursue the possibility if a member of the administration and BOT. Wake has now put their footprint in the CLT area with law, business, and med. Make a deal with the Panthers and play half of home fball games in CLT. Easy enough to fly into CLT.

What? We can barely fill Groves.

The conference might survive losing Clemson because they are an entity unto themselves right now. Once we lose the North Carolina core, the conference is toast.

Remember, Clem's son has only been good since Wake beat them when Bobby's son was coach there. That begot Dabo and the rise of Clemson. Dabo leaves and they could go back where they were.

Remember, Clem's son has only been good since Wake beat them when Bobby's son was coach there. That begot Dabo and the rise of Clemson. Dabo leaves and they could go back where they were.

This is not the time to debate coaching succession. It doesn't matter. Alabama could hire the equivalent of Mike DuBose or Dennis Franchione after Saban leaves and fall backwards.

The only issue with admitting Clemson to the SEC is if South Carolina and Georgia are okay with it.

So I guess the Big 10 will want the expanded playoff now. One has to also think that a jilted Pac and ACC may also see it as their best road to competing for a natty. Big 12 was always on board.

So I guess the Big 10 will want the expanded playoff now. One has to also think that a jilted Pac and ACC may also see it as their best road to competing for a natty. Big 12 was always on board.

Playoff expansion was, is and will be about the TV contract for said playoffs. ESPN owns the rights to the current format for the next several years. They wanted exclusive negotiating rights for the new format in exchange for losing what they have. B1G Network partner (Fox) wanted a shot at the new expanded playoffs. Hence the delay. Follow the money$$$$$.

I would think they'll just keep it at four teams till the contract expires and come up with something bigger for the 2026 season. I wouldn't expect they'll be focused on serving the G5 and the remnants or realignment at all.

Why? This doesn’t make the Big Ten more likely to get multiple teams in.

^^^

Yeah, I think that's exactly what will happen to the ACC. Let's say Clemson and FSU announce they're going to the SEC and they're just going to find a way to do the payout or sue the conference or whatever. Within 8 hours UNC and NC State, and UVA and VT, are going to present themselves to the SEC independently as pairs. Miami and Ga Tech will have their applications in within 15 minutes. It could happen next week for all we know.

^^^

Yeah, I think that's exactly what will happen to the ACC. Let's say Clemson and FSU announce they're going to the SEC and they're just going to find a way to do the payout or sue the conference or whatever. Within 8 hours UNC and NC State, and UVA and VT, are going to present themselves to the SEC independently as pairs. Miami and Ga Tech will have their applications in within 15 minutes. It could happen next week for all we know.

Oh, I mostly agree. Although I think UNC will pair itself with Duke, hoping to save the basketball rivalry.

At this point I am resigned to the fact that there will be two super-conferences and WF will not be in either of them. I am just wondering whether WF will be in a league including NCSU, GT, and BC; or Furman, Elon, and Wofford.

I wonder how hard the B1G is after ND right now. I would think they go hard for ND and whomever ND wants to bring along (probably Stanford). Or will the B1G try to encroach on SEC country and go after Clemson?

Notre Dame is NOT joining this conference. They didn't do it at any point when it might have made a small amount of sense. They're definitely not going to do it now when it makes absolutely none.

So the ACC, and Wake then, are now toast.... :tear:

Edit: Yo, BIG 20:fu:

Last edited:
Oh, I mostly agree. Although I think UNC will pair itself with Duke, hoping to save the basketball rivalry.

At this point I am resigned to the fact that there will be two super-conferences and WF will not be in either of them. I am just wondering whether WF will be in a league including NCSU, GT, and BC; or Furman, Elon, and Wofford.

I wonder how hard the B1G is after ND right now. I would think they go hard for ND and whomever ND wants to bring along (probably Stanford). Or will the B1G try to encroach on SEC country and go after Clemson?

I think the UNC Board of Governors should ensure NC State not get left out.

Also, Clemson and company could present themselves to the B1G. That AUU stuff isn't all that important.

Doesn’t Fox do most of the Big 10 games? ESPN might be concerned about losing teams to a rival network (i.e. ACC teams).

Is Duke basketball really big enough (profitable enough) that Duke gets invited to another major conference? Are Carolina & Duke a package deal in conference re-alignment?

Also, Clemson and company could present themselves to the B1G. That AUU stuff isn't all that important.

Not sure the Board of Governors have much interest in something that benefits state. Though it is extra money coming into the state.

Is Duke basketball really big enough (profitable enough) that Duke gets invited to another major conference? Are Carolina & Duke a package deal in conference re-alignment?

That is one of the few CBB games that makes money for TV. How much that changes post k? Who knows.

I would expect us to hitch our wagons to whichever NC team gets left out.

Yeah, Nebraska got kicked out of the AAU 11 years ago. Of some note, Duke, GT, UNC, UVA, and Pitt are AAU members.

Back