• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

None in women’s basketball unless you count Maryland when they were in the ACC. None in baseball.

Really makes you mad how the Big Ten has out maneuvered the ACC despite having less success.

of the 20 US Universities with the largest enrollment:

7 are in the B1G (tOSU, PSU, MSU, Rutgers, Minn, Purdue, Illinois)
2 are in the SEC (aTm and UF), with one joining (UT)
2 are in the PAC (the AZ schools)

3 others in the top 20 play FBS football (UCF, FIU, Houston)

the other 5 don't play big-boy football if they play it at all (Utah Valley, Cal St Fullerton, UT-Arlington, Cal St Northridge, Kennesaw St)

Latest report is that no other Pac12 teams are joining the Big 10. Huge if true. The obvious answer is to try and align with the remaining Pac12 teams, starting with Cal and Stanford, who fit in perfectly, then Oregon and Washington followed by the Arizona schools.

None in women’s basketball unless you count Maryland when they were in the ACC. None in baseball.

Really makes you mad how the Big Ten has out maneuvered the ACC despite having less success.

It’s like the ncaa bball tourney this year. Wake was at 35 in kenpom and doesn’t get in, whereas Rutgers at 77 gets an 11 seed. The ACC needs much better marketing.

Doomsday arrived today for the Deacons. We are done.

Only outside chance is a Currie miracle to get us in a B conference instead of a D. Wellman would be handling this about as well as Fred Couples handles the LIV.

Latest report is that no other Pac12 teams are joining the Big 10. Huge if true. The obvious answer is to try and align with the remaining Pac12 teams, starting with Cal and Stanford, who fit in perfectly, then Oregon and Washington followed by the Arizona schools.

B1G has the obvious huge leverage over any potential addition other than ND right now. No need to rush to admit Oregon or anyone else (unless ND says we’ll join if Stanford joins; then the B1G takes Stanford)

Only outside chance is a Currie miracle to get us in a B conference instead of a D. Wellman would be handling this about as well as Fred Couples handles the LIV.

I agree. It's been a long time coming and I resigned myself to it a while ago. ND isn't joining the ACC. Just a matter of time, maybe days, maybe hours, before the blocks started getting pulled out of the ACC Jenga tower.

And the grant of rights isn't strong at all. That'll keep the conference together about as well as a dry rotted rubber band.

I wonder how many of the old BIG administrators still are around. The consensus is that they were quite pissed when ND said thanks, but no thanks due to their NBC $. It would be interesting to see if those schools have changed their tune or still hold a grudge and will say, “fuck you, you had the chance.”

As we all know, all of the other private schools in Big Time football are in much bigger metro areas than us. Duke is only comparable one and let’s be honest - they are an international research school and K made them a national brand so they’re more attractive than us - not to mention the deal with UNC. I agree with UNC-CH being key to all of this - ACC would survive Clemson, FSU, and Miami leaving. Heck - I don’t care about Miami anyways - let them leave. For better or for worse - UNC-CH is power broker in the ACC. Do they want to just be another school in a super-conference? Money talks. We will get left out of a power conference no doubt but hope there are enough scraps left over to still make it fun and agreed- not gonna watch us play Elon, Richmond, Furman but I would still watch us play Cuse, BC, GT, and LVille

Glad we got good at football when we did. May not save us but gives us some hope. If some ACC schools leave the remnants still look better than the other non-power 5 conferences. And we could win that conference regularly if Clawson doesn’t bolt to a power 2 school.

College sports is a joke though, at least as an amateur venture. The biggest losers will be the non-revenue sports, which really should be the spirit of college sports. “The Last Amateurs” is truer now than ever. Those who think money should rule will be pleased. The rest of us lose.

I’m so glad I went to college when I did. College sports are dead.

Can’t wait for our new conference rivals Kansas State, Oregon State, and UCONN.

I am very concerned about our ability to hire and retain coaches of Clawson's caliber in this landscape.

Really makes me wish we’d capitalized on last year’s football season a bit more. Likely running out of opportunities to get onto the national stage. This year is certainly a good one.

I wonder how many of the old BIG administrators still are around. The consensus is that they were quite pissed when ND said thanks, but no thanks due to their NBC $. It would be interesting to see if those schools have changed their tune or still hold a grudge and will say, “fuck you, you had the chance.”

ND is the big prize in all of this. They would take them without hesitation.

Back