• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Really makes me wish we’d capitalized on last year’s football season a bit more. Likely running out of opportunities to get onto the national stage. This year is certainly a good one.

This. 2022 might be the last year we have the opportunity to play Clemson, FSU, NC State, UNC- let’s go out on top

Jim Phillips to the schools
aB2rbw1_460s.jpg

And the grant of rights isn't strong at all. That'll keep the conference together about as well as a dry rotted rubber band.

I wouldn't characterize it as "isn't strong at all," if that were the case then Texas and OU's Big 12 departure would be going a lot smoother and quicker than it is

ND is the big prize in all of this. They would take them without hesitation.

Not necessarily. If this will end up being mainly a 2 conference league, chances are the demographics in the SEC would make ND an odd choice being a northern Catholic school. If BIG shuns them, then who are they stuck with? Remnants of the ACC or be part of a conference with the service academies or both?

To think a day ago we were complaining about playing Louisville and Syracuse.

I’m still on that complain train. If this is one of the last years I get to see us play big time college football, I’d like to play the teams we always have.

I wonder how many of the old BIG administrators still are around. The consensus is that they were quite pissed when ND said thanks, but no thanks due to their NBC $. It would be interesting to see if those schools have changed their tune or still hold a grudge and will say, “fuck you, you had the chance.”

If adding ND would increase revenue for the B1G (it will), then 100% of the B1G will gladly vote to add ND, absolutely zero questions asked

The ACC should've gotten aggressive a few months ago after the UT/OU news. Proactively try to poach some Pac-12 schools etc. Looks like a failure of leadership here with the commissioner and AD's assuming the conference would be ok because "it's the ACC."

Also...shouldn't Phillips have had his ear to the ground on this? What's the point of hiring a former Big10 AD if he doesn't know about moves like this ahead of them becoming public? He should've known this was coming and been working to counteract this for weeks at this point.

Real good point. So maybe he is an agent for the Big Ten to keep the ACC weak.

Short term financial gain, long term death spiral for college football. Throw in NIL and transfer portal and exclusion of half of current D1 football schools from meaningful games or alliances in the future and eyeballs will drop. Younger, non-college educated generation could not care less about college sports. As a wake fan, or a NCSU fan, or a Ok St fan, why would I give a crap about a sport in which i have been told to piss off by the higher echelon? This is reminiscent of nascar in early in late 90’s and early 00’s telling Rockingham and N. Wilkesboro to piss off. Wake should focus on Esports to be progressive.

The ACC should've gotten aggressive a few months ago after the UT/OU news. Proactively try to poach some Pac-12 schools etc. Looks like a failure of leadership here with the commissioner and AD's assuming the conference would be ok because "it's the ACC."

Also...shouldn't Phillips have had his ear to the ground on this? What's the point of hiring a former Big10 AD if he doesn't know about moves like this ahead of them becoming public? He should've known this was coming and been working to counteract this for weeks at this point.

I mean, we don’t know yet that some move hasn’t already been in the works. But it’s most likely that we’re going to be reactive rather than proactive.

The 32 schools that will comprise the SEC and the B1G are sufficient to leave the NCAA and form a mega-conference for football. There are few schools who would add strength to that package. Only Clemson and Notre Dame qualify from the ACC. Baylor and Oregon maybe. FSU and Miami had their day in the sun but now live in the shade. I expect the SEC and B1G to withdraw from the NCAA and for those schools to compete against each other in all sports. They are then free to set up the rules as they see fit. Expect $100 million per team compensation from TV packages. Fox and ESPN have the inside track but everyone is invited to bid.

The ACC, PAC and remaining Big 12 schools become the new leaders of NCAA D1 football. They add/subtract as required and there is a reorganizing of G5 schools around regional competition. ACC, PAC and remaining Big 12 teams could end up with the same revenue as present. There are still 100 D1 teams so there remains plenty of interest in football. The Dance and D1 basketball will still be a money maker.

The ACC probably will survive as we now know it. I just doubt it will be a part of a super football organization. Nobody but Clemson and Notre Dame qualify.

Zero.

We won't make it through football season without a major defection. He'll, I'll be shocked it we make it TO football season without one.

Pure speculation on my part but I think the first acc team to bolt is UNC to the SEC. It would be just another reason to hate UNC

I wouldn't characterize it as "isn't strong at all," if that were the case then Texas and OU's Big 12 departure would be going a lot smoother and quicker than it is

The grant of rights isn't an obstacle at all. The $50M departure penalty will amount to decimal dust relative to the SEC's and B10's media deals. The GOR bought the ACC a little time in 2016 but that's all it did.

The grant of rights isn't an obstacle at all. The $50M departure penalty will amount to decimal dust relative to the SEC's and B10's media deals. The GOR bought the ACC a little time in 2016 but that's all it did.

I’m not sure this is true. The GOR dictates that any TV contract a school gets is going to the ACC until 2036. If it holds, that would be a massive amount of money.

Very good chance the Florida schools plus Clemson go to the SEC, and maybe UNC. If we're going to have coast to coast conferences, the ACC should look at trying to merge with the remaining PAC-12 schools and take a look at some Big 12 schools like (soon to be) Cincinnati, Baylor, Kansas and some others. There's no longer any such thing as tradition or loyalty. Do it before it's too late.

I’m not sure this is true. The GOR dictates that any TV contract a school gets is going to the ACC until 2036. If it holds, that would be a massive amount of money.

Yep. Big chunk of change....

Back